Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

What our defensive coaching staff might look like:

DL: Karl Dunbar (Alabama DL coach) otherwise get Jason Rebrovich (JAGS assistant DL coach)
LB: Mike Singletary (unemployed)
DB: Bobby Babich (Bills assistant DB coach) or Samson Brown (unemployed but most recently was assistant DB coach in Denver under Wade Phillips)

With his year consulting with the Seahawks he might hire some of their staff such as Nate Carroll.

Maybe he will chose to retain some of our staff. Who knows.

I hope to god he doesn't hire Jim O'Neil who has been out of the game for the last two years. Haven't heard good things about him. Apparently his loyalty to him cost him the Cleveland locker room and he was a disaster as 49ers defensive coordinator.

Just now, Chili said:

Since the other topic is locked... I've just seen that Darrell Bevell has been fired. I reckon he would make a good QB coach for us. He has previously worked with Favre and Wilson.

Favre absolutely loved him.  Really interesting reading between the lines of what a lot of Seahawks players are saying, suggesting it's all Wilson.  Pretty much aren't even any lines with what Baldwin said. 

So I had no preference of who got the job ( just didn’t want an inside hire). I’m not say Pettine will do a bad job at all.

As I look at his impressive defensive resume, I can’t help but to think that most defenses don’t have the luxury of Darrelle Revis locking down a team’s number 1. Should it be held against him, absolutely not. That’s just my reasoning for not being overly excited; most of my excitement is because it’s not Dom!

32 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

So I had no preference of who got the job ( just didn’t want an inside hire). I’m not say Pettine will do a bad job at all.

As I look at his impressive defensive resume, I can’t help but to think that most defenses don’t have the luxury of Darrelle Revis locking down a team’s number 1. Should it be held against him, absolutely not. That’s just my reasoning for not being overly excited; most of my excitement is because it’s not Dom!

King isn't a Revis or a Sherman but he has a bright future ahead of him that could be tapped into by Pettine. 

7 hours ago, ArthurPensky said:

If that’s the reason why was Capers scheme the most successful his first years in GB when everyone was green to it...?

Because they were veteran NFL players. Already past the rookie type mistakes and more advanced skills players. Rookies usually have those mistakes to get past AND learn a very complex defenses. 

Just my thoughts and appears to be the case from comments by players past and present. 

1 minute ago, MantyWrestler said:

Because they were veteran NFL players. Already past the rookie type mistakes and more advanced skills players. Rookies usually have those mistakes to get past AND learn a very complex defenses. 

Just my thoughts and appears to be the case from comments by players past and present. 

There was similar talk about the Steelers, Lebeau had that period of veterans on the team but when they started to age and had to rely on Rookies it took them several seasons to really learn the intricacies of the scheme.

To me a scheme that relies on experience and veteran players when you perennially have one of the youngest teams in the NFL because 99% of the talent acquisition is draft and develop is a flawed strategy. I honestly don't know why we put up with it for so long.

I've heard talk that Pettine's concepts can be advanced but the guy I suspect is more likely to tailor his scheme to the talent he has, not run the system no matter what you have and hope the players can do it.

3 hours ago, hoekd0250 said:

There is more to this article if anyone is interested will post. Helps define why McCarthy went with Pettine. We don't have fast athletic linemen instead more space eaters and this should help. Capers also used a lot of 3tech 2 gapping dlineman and pettine will use more of a one gap scheme. 

Interesting stuff. You got a link to the whole article? 

Not completely sure how I feel. Some thoughts;

For those looking purely at the numbers, remember it is important to consider Pettine has coached some teams with complete shipwreck offenses QBed by Sanchez and EJ Manuel. As we have learned this year, that also effects the numbers.Remember MM was the OC for a crappy 49er team with rookie Alex Smith before he took over here.

I don’t know a ton about him. It is exciting that he was on some high pettigre staffs like the Ravens and early 2010s Jets.

Definitely nervous he’s been out of the game 2 years.

From the sound of it, he wants to simplify things a bit. Not sure how that will look, but I think with the youth in the secondary it could be good. We had too many blown coverages this year with players out of position (Josh Jones Carolina). It shouldn’t be an athlete problem (multiple 1st and second round picks in the secondary)

27 minutes ago, jontat83 said:

King isn't a Revis or a Sherman but he has a bright future ahead of him that could be tapped into by Pettine. 

We can only hope!

I listened to Naglar's chat, and a couple things I liked when talking about Pettine were how he gameplans around the opponents offense, rather than doing his normal stuff. Makes me feel like he's more adaptive and less stubborn than Dom. I also like how he uses multiple fronts.

3 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Not completely sure how I feel. Some thoughts;

For those looking purely at the numbers, remember it is important to consider Pettine has coached some teams with complete shipwreck offenses QBed by Sanchez and EJ Manuel. As we have learned this year, that also effects the numbers.Remember MM was the OC for a crappy 49er team with rookie Alex Smith before he took over here.

I don’t know a ton about him. It is exciting that he was on some high pettigre staffs like the Ravens and early 2010s Jets.

Definitely nervous he’s been out of the game 2 years.

From the sound of it, he wants to simplify things a bit. Not sure how that will look, but I think with the youth in the secondary it could be good. We had too many blown coverages this year with players out of position (Josh Jones Carolina). It shouldn’t be an athlete problem (multiple 1st and second round picks in the secondary)

He's spent some time with the Seahawks, consulting and presumably learning as well. Give me a guy who goes around the league looking to learn than someone who hasn't done anything for the last year or two.

McCarthy is tight with Schneider, I suspect he probably asked him about Pettine and his time at Seattle and probably gave him a glowing report.

Archived