Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

13 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

Surprised they did this without at least speaking to Fangio or even Gus Bradley, 2 guys they were looking at interviewing. Guessing that meant he blew them away with his interview. I can dig it. Wonder what assistants Pettine brings in to fill his defensive staff out and whether guys like Whitt/Perry, etc stay with the team

Perhaps he told Mike he was staying as the DC in Chicago?

Here's a list of top 100 defensive players drafted under Pettine teams when he was a DC/HC:

#12 Danny Shelton

#51 Nate Orchard

#96 Xavier Cooper

#8 Justin Gilbert

#71 Christian Krisksey

#46 Kiko Alonso

#16 Quinton Coples

#77 Demario Davis

#30 Muhammad Wilkerson

#94 Kenrick Ellis

#29 Kyle Wilson

Really doesn't mean schit, but he at least had input on the type of player more than likely. It's going to be interesting to see what he does with the ILB's & what he does with Josh Jones. I'd bet on the Packers taking an EDGE and CB in the first two rounds this year. 

12 hours ago, persiandud said:

His success with the Jets is very nice. However, Polian's comments make me concerned. Capers was known for having a complex scheme. I was kind of hoping we'd bring in someone to simplify things. 

I'm really excited to hear that he's an adept gameplanner. I feel like we haven't been good at that defensively for some time. 

Maybe his teaching skills are better than Capers...?

5 minutes ago, ugLymayNe said:

Really doesn't mean schit, but he at least had input on the type of player more than likely. It's going to be interesting to see what he does with the ILB's & what he does with Josh Jones. I'd bet on the Packers taking an EDGE and CB in the first two rounds this year. 

Nice list

New DC's often like to bring in a couple of guys who know the scheme to help the transition

3 minutes ago, ugLymayNe said:

wow those are AWFUL picks. Coples, Gilbert just straight busts. Kyle Wilson and  Shelton,  not much better.

Davis and Wilkerson are good, Kiko is all over the place.

4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Favre absolutely loved him.  Really interesting reading between the lines of what a lot of Seahawks players are saying, suggesting it's all Wilson.  Pretty much aren't even any lines with what Baldwin said. 

When was Bevell in GB?  Was Rodgers drafted yet?

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Tom Pelissero tweeted that the Packers were bringing in Patrick Graham to interview (will be 39  on Jan 24). An ex Patriots and Giants coach for the D line. That looks like a good (potential) hire. A quick move as well - you move fast or you lose the best guys.

The  neat thing for other franchises is that when a head coach goes, good assistants are free to sign elsewhere. Patrick did a good job on the Giants d line in a short time. Has coached linebackers too. Educated at Yale, so he is likely to be pretty sharp..............nice

Well, we can't say Mike is letting any grass grow under his feet...  :)

Archived