Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

11 hours ago, gopackgo27 said:

Not sure why anyone would hate this move, am I missing something? Dude had CLE at 7-4 until he was forced to roll with Manziel, that alone should put him in the HOF. Had a Top 5 Defense every season he was a DC, what's to dislike?

Exactly! People are quick to overlook his GREAT track record as DC simply because of his time as HC in Cleveland.

I LOVE this move. Of course I would've preferred Fangio, but I still dig it. I'm surprised the Bears are even considering letting Fangio go after inheriting a mess and turning them into a top 10 D last year. Duh, because, if it ain't broke, fix it.

40 minutes ago, jontat83 said:

He's spent some time with the Seahawks, consulting and presumably learning as well. Give me a guy who goes around the league looking to learn than someone who hasn't done anything for the last year or two.

McCarthy is tight with Schneider, I suspect he probably asked him about Pettine and his time at Seattle and probably gave him a glowing report.

Yeah, the hire is definitely growing on me.

I also dug up up the yards per play numbers, which is what handicappers use (I'm not a big fan of scoring D, do to how a trainwreck QB can effect things (worse field position, more three and outs, etc). EJ Manuel and Sanchez are in the Brett Hundley tier of QBs).

NYJ

2008 (before) 14th (5.6)

2009. 1st (4.5)

2010 3rd (4.8)

2011 4th (5.0)

2012 6th (5.1)

2013 (after) 9th (5.1)

Buf 

2012 before Pettine - 22nd-5.6

2013 6th (4.9) year 1

Granted, this doesn't account for roster changes, was a few years ago, and I'm not completely sure what his responsibilities were (if Rex did play calling, etc),  but these are pretty good numbers. They show the teams he's been on can kill drives.

6 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

I'm surprised the Bears are even considering letting Fangio go

It's not up to them, Fangio is a free agent and can do as he pleases.

Similar story for why Bradley didn't resign immediately.  He was likely negotiating a new contract, and you need to be a free agent to negotiate the best contract.

First off... I'm glad it wasn't an in house hire. We needed a bigger change.

I like this. My preference would have been to give someone their first DC job, but this is the kind of things I like to hear. Not someone who has "there scheme" that needs the roster tooled a certain way, but someone open to multiple fronts and adjustment based on the available roster. He's used everything under the sun pretty much. It's still going to be a base nickle defense which is the right idea too.

Lastly, I really don't get the Fangio hype. He's a good DC, but it's not like he's some amazing DC that everyone should be salivating over and ticked we went somewhere else. 

Tom Pelissero tweeted that the Packers were bringing in Patrick Graham to interview (will be 39  on Jan 24). An ex Patriots and Giants coach for the D line. That looks like a good (potential) hire. A quick move as well - you move fast or you lose the best guys.

The  neat thing for other franchises is that when a head coach goes, good assistants are free to sign elsewhere. Patrick did a good job on the Giants d line in a short time. Has coached linebackers too. Educated at Yale, so he is likely to be pretty sharp..............nice

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Could have easily spoke on the phone to gauge interest though too.

*Hopefully this means he was MMs top pick though!

I hope people stop believing this stuff- sources say.....in other words....I have people that are telling me things that I think I can talk about.....does not mean it is or is not true lol. Just do not believe it and I actually stick to what is IMO. That is my approach.

As far as "is this a good or bad move.." ? No one here can tell you that, it is all opinion and conjecture. When someone here says it is a good, bad or questionable move I do not care and I do not think anyone else should either. Pent has experience and has had success building impressive defenses in the past. He has the qualifications. Let's see if he can be successful here. I think that is the most fact based and rational post I can make on the hire.

TBH- I have no idea how this impacts what players they prefer in the draft or FA or what current players are of use and ready to be cut either lol. This is new territory and we will all just need to learn it with time based on what the new DC actually does versus what the press thinks he will do. I think we were all ready to go back and throw away what we used to think we knew about the prior DC and start from square one learning a new one.

2 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Because they were veteran NFL players. Already past the rookie type mistakes and more advanced skills players. Rookies usually have those mistakes to get past AND learn a very complex defenses. 

Just my thoughts and appears to be the case from comments by players past and present. 

Many of them have never played in a 3-4. There will be no Vets on the  2018 Packers roster/ Free Agency?

Archived