Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

17 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

Surprised they did this without at least speaking to Fangio or even Gus Bradley, 2 guys they were looking at interviewing. Guessing that meant he blew them away with his interview. I can dig it. Wonder what assistants Pettine brings in to fill his defensive staff out and whether guys like Whitt/Perry, etc stay with the team

I read that Bradley turned them and Seattle away in favor of staying in LA.

Pettine was probably my 3rd favorite DC available this offseason.  Given that my favorite 2 candidates decided to stay at their previous jobs I'm happy with the hire.  A down fall though is that he's a prior HC so if he has the success that Rex Ryan think's he's going to have then he's not going to be around very long. 

My concern is how much of Pettine's success is due to having Rex Ryan, who was as involved with his defenses as any coach in the league.  The fact that his scheme is so complex is concerning as I believe that is a reason we struggled with Caper's system.  Communication issues have plagued our guys.  I read some comments by Tramon Williams.  He loves the guy, the coach but said that it was a complex system with a lot of moving parts. 

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=22024700

Jim Leonhard on Wilde and Tausch talking Pettine

Leonhard was very, very positive about Pettine.  As a man, as a motivator, as a game-planner, as a guy who's more fun and funny with the players than he may be with the media.  

Leonhard talked about creativity; not necessarily in terms of crazy innovative schemes and stuff, but more in terms of how best use the guys he's got and do what they do best.  And how to attack a particular opponent, their schemes and their particular personnel.  

Seems to suggest that Pettine is a really likeable guy that players like and respect, but that he can be a hard guy and get in your face and stuff.  

Leonhard is obviously a smart guy and a guy who never had issues with brains, instincts, or motor.   He did seem to agree with kind of a common narrative, that Pettine is really good with smart, tough, instinctive football players.  He didn't clearly communicate how well Pettine as done or will do with guys who aren't quite as smart or instinctive. 

18 minutes ago, craig said:

Leonhard was very, very positive about Pettine.  As a man, as a motivator, as a game-planner, as a guy who's more fun and funny with the players than he may be with the media.  

Leonhard talked about creativity; not necessarily in terms of crazy innovative schemes and stuff, but more in terms of how best use the guys he's got and do what they do best.  And how to attack a particular opponent, their schemes and their particular personnel.  

Seems to suggest that Pettine is a really likeable guy that players like and respect, but that he can be a hard guy and get in your face and stuff.  

Leonhard is obviously a smart guy and a guy who never had issues with brains, instincts, or motor.   He did seem to agree with kind of a common narrative, that Pettine is really good with smart, tough, instinctive football players.  He didn't clearly communicate how well Pettine as done or will do with guys who aren't quite as smart or instinctive. 

Thanks for posting your thoughts on that podcast.  I think we will just have to weed out the guys that can't play.  Hopefully the cream will rise to the top and these guys will buy into this system.  Many of them will probably be quite excited about the change.  

Yeah, think he might be a really helpful new guy for how the secondary plays.  Not sure if the secondary has the smarts or the instincts, or the physicality, and I'm not sure they've had much confidence either.  But I still am pretty hopeful that if King and Randall and House all come back healthy, if they were to resign Burnett, if HaHa stepped it up a bunch and got used more smartly, and if Bryce and Evans are healthy and can step it up some, I still feel like there's some pretty good speed back there.  

If some better usage and much better health and some good teaching and coaching could help them all to play better, I'm still hopeful that the performance of the secondary could improve a lot.  Hopefully Pettine and whomever he hires for corners and safeties can help make that happen.  

Adding another good player or two, whether via draft or FA, could also help.  Nothing stays the same in the NFL, so maybe things will get a lot better?  

Excellent hire. Looking forward to HaHa playing deep safety more and being the ballhawk he can be. Will be really interesting to see what he does with Josh Jones though. Gotta figure he'll want Burnett back due to the veteran experience and what not. Really looking forward to the draft and how we'll approach this offseason. Would love to be aggressive in the draft and go up and get a playmaker (lol PLAYMAKERZZZZ) or two.

I've read in a few places (cant remember where lol) that Pettine likes to play with a single high safety. He had Ed Reed at Baltimore, Gipson at Cleveland, Byrd at Bills as such examples and they all played to a very high level. He had Jim Leonhard following him to all of those teams too.

So clearly the single high safety is an important part of the Pettine defence. Obviously HaHa will get first shot at the gig but if we want a speedy safety with elite ball skills could Pettine decide to go with Randall?

Pettine will almost certainly will do some things differently to Capers. Randall at safety might be one of them.

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

I've read in a few places (cant remember where lol) that Pettine likes to play with a single high safety. He had Ed Reed at Baltimore, Gipson at Cleveland, Byrd at Bills as such examples and they all played to a very high level. He had Jim Leonhard following him to all of those teams too.

So clearly the single high safety is an important part of the Pettine defence. Obviously HaHa will get first shot at the gig but if we want a speedy safety with elite ball skills could Pettine decide to go with Randall?

Pettine will almost certainly will do some things differently to Capers. Randall at safety might be one of them.

Not to discount your point: Pettine was quality control and then an OLB coach in Baltimore. But he also had Kerry Rhodes playing his best football - I'm really excited to see what HaHa looks like in this scheme.

Where is this Randall to safety talk coming from anyways? He played extremely well on the boundary last year and moving him would be kind of dumb. If anything play him in the slot, but I'd keep him where he's been. edit- I do remember Palmy calling him the FS version of Troy Polamalu though. Maybe. Maaaaybe.

20 minutes ago, Chili said:

HaHa is literally built for that role.

Speight, what is the ideal player profile for that role, and in what way is Ha Ha built for it?  

Is that a role where speed/range is even higher priority (side-to-side coverage so you need to get places fast?)?  Smarts/instincts (quick aptitude to read what's happening and respond smartly/quickly is paramount)?  Tackling?  (last line of defense, so if you miss a tackle who's going to save you?)?  

I have no idea, really.  Just seemed like this year, HaHa always played so far off guys that he'd always let guys get open for first-down completions, and would come in for tackles often but only after the 1st-down conversion;  seemed he always positioned himself so far back from receivers and the first-down marker that if his role or intention was to contest or prevent first downs, he was always late.  

Is that what Capers/Perry/whitt told him to do?  Give tons of space, let them get easy 1st downs, bend-don't-break, just don't get beat deep?  Or did the coaches and scheme allow for him to contest first downs, but he just lacked the instincts and recognition to get there on time?  

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Thanks for posting your thoughts on that podcast.  I think we will just have to weed out the guys that can't play.  Hopefully the cream will rise to the top and these guys will buy into this system.  Many of them will probably be quite excited about the change.  

I thought Wilde and Tausch did a horrible job interviewing Leonhard. You're basically talking to the QB of that defense and we get fluff questions that netted predictable answers.

Archived