Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

20 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

i would've liked bradley or fangio obviously but w/e

From what I heard out of WSCR in Chicago, Fangio wasn't interested in Green Bay.  Not sure if it's life style or what, but Green Bay really wasn't appealing to him.

3 minutes ago, jleisher said:

From what I heard out of WSCR in Chicago, Fangio wasn't interested in Green Bay.  Not sure if it's life style or what, but Green Bay really wasn't appealing to him.

Maybe he just wants to finish with what he’s got? He knows the guys and it’s not a step up. 

10 minutes ago, jleisher said:

He's been quite the vagabond in his career moving every couple of seasons. I counted 10 total new city football moves in his life.

Might be getting tired of that

If Kris Richards somehow manages not to land a HC job or a DC job would you be interested in us bringing him in as DB coach? He played big part in coaching up the Legion of Boom when he was DB coach. He would be my no.1 choice.

Equally impossibly is hiring Jim Leonard as DB coach. That would be excellent too but can't see it ever happening.

Rod Woodson might be available and he knows the type of defence Pettine runs due to playing for Baltimore. Playing in the 3-4 at Pittburgh doesnt hurt either.

Detroit might release their defensive coaching staff when they hire a new head coach. Oden and Alan Williams are interview candidates. Giants have Walton and Merritt.

There's also Dennis Thurman who would really help Pettine install his defence but he's old.

35 minutes ago, jleisher said:

I appreciate you posting this though - it’s very possible this was the case, however, I’m taking any reports from a Chicago radio station with a grain of salt.

46 minutes ago, jleisher said:

My guess is that if he was going to move he wanted to go back to the West Coast. Of course it wasn't very far of a move but a move nonetheless.

2 hours ago, Haha21 said:

I was meh about Pettine at first, but after delving into his defenses in Buffalo and New York I am much more excited.

I'm in the same boat. I was pretty down about the signing yesterday and would have preferred Fangio but I'm coming around on Pettine. What impresses me is what he did in Cleveland. Some are down on him about coming from Cleveland but I'm actually impressed with what he did in Cleveland. He was let go after going 10-22 in two seasons in Cleveland. In the meantime Hue Jackson is 1-31 in Cleveland. That shows me that Pettine is a true leader of men and that he can build a team. I think he'll have the defense fired up. So much of playing defense is effort and communication. Good defenses stop the run, rally to the ball and communicate well. That has been lacking in Green Bay for some time.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I've read in a few places (cant remember where lol) that Pettine likes to play with a single high safety. He had Ed Reed at Baltimore, Gipson at Cleveland, Byrd at Bills as such examples and they all played to a very high level. He had Jim Leonhard following him to all of those teams too.

So clearly the single high safety is an important part of the Pettine defence. Obviously HaHa will get first shot at the gig but if we want a speedy safety with elite ball skills could Pettine decide to go with Randall?

Pettine will almost certainly will do some things differently to Capers. Randall at safety might be one of them.

Josh Jones maybe?

19 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

My guess is that if he was going to move he wanted to go back to the West Coast. Of course it wasn't very far of a move but a move nonetheless.

Hub Arkush had been saying for a while that he thought Vic would look to go back out west.  Hub's also been bashing the Packers a lot of late .. saying that we're a mess.  Screw Hub .. he's an idiot!

9 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

Josh Jones maybe?

Fine. So long as he doesnt have to cover anybody. Would a single high safety have to cover somebody?  :)

I kid.....kinda. II was all charged up about Jones coming into 2017 and while he made a smattering of nice plays - he looks totally lost more often.

So - hoping for that 2nd year step up and a new DC with different schemes and (hopefully) attitude to infuse the D with.

I like fast, swarming to the football and hard hitting defenses. One that makes people pay for their YAC or YPC with a grunt, groan and/or bruise or two. TampaBay Buc D of some years ago - Cincy D now (minus the dirty cheap shots) - Baltimore D - any D really thats mean, nasty (in a nice, gentlemanly sorta way......) and dominates the field.

I dont ask for much now do I?  :D

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Fine. So long as he doesnt have to cover anybody. Would a single high safety have to cover somebody?  :)

I kid.....kinda. II was all charged up about Jones coming into 2017 and while he made a smattering of nice plays - he looks totally lost more often.

So - hoping for that 2nd year step up and a new DC with different schemes and (hopefully) attitude to infuse the D with.

I like fast, swarming to the football and hard hitting defenses. One that makes people pay for their YAC or YPC with a grunt, groan and/or bruise or two. TampaBay Buc D of some years ago - Cincy D now (minus the dirty cheap shots) - Baltimore D - any D really thats mean, nasty (in a nice, gentlemanly sorta way......) and dominates the field.

I dont ask for much now do I?  :D

Fair point but to be fair, the entire secondary looked lost last year.

Seattle was in that camp from 2012-2014. I knew they were going to destroy the Broncos in the Super Bowl because the Broncos were all about YAC that year and the Seahawks don't give up YAC.

43 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I appreciate you posting this though - it’s very possible this was the case, however, I’m taking any reports from a Chicago radio station with a grain of salt.

This.  I don't buy any reports coming out of a divisional rivals' media station with much value.  To me, it's pretty damn telling that the Packers opted to hire Pettine despite not having actually interviewing Bradley or Fangio.  And the timing of everything is weird.  As soon as news broke that Pettine was their new DC, Fangio re-upped in Chicago and Bradley did the same in Los Angeles.  Maybe the Packers reached out to those two, and got word that they weren't really looking around but I'd tend to think that Pettine was their guy.

Archived