Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I still don't see the value in drafting a LB that high.  I'd honestly rather go spend that draft pick or money elsewhere.  One thought that rattled through my head is making Josh Jones the de facto WILL LB.  And that moves Randall into that SS role, and that they could use another boundary corner.

You had me with this post all the way until Randall. Why do people keep wanting to move him? He was crazy good at the end of the year, shut down Gordon and Funchess. He can play inside, but he played a lot outside and was terrific. 

But yes, I'm against an off LOS LBer that high and Jones could absolutely be a WILL if we show a 4-3 look. Probably his best position from what I have seen.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Seen at least two articles today in so many words pointing out that Pettine scheme is complicated and it will be up to him to make it easy for players to learn.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/11/creativity-multiplicity-and-attitude-should-propel-mike-pettines-packers-defense/

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/01/10/dougherty-can-mike-pettine-succeed-answers-simple/1021107001/

This is where i'm having doubts about the hire. We all have seen over the past 5 years the communication breakdowns and confusion among our defenders time and time again. Surely MM noticed this too and I found it interesting to see he chose to hire yet another guy with a complicated defensive scheme. I strongly believed this was our opportunity to hire someone who could introduce an simpler yet effective defensive scheme and bring it more in-line with our draft and develop policy. Gus Bradley and Seattle's 4-3 under defence was right at the top of my list. Kris Richard was another guy we could've targeted had we known he was going to be let go.

We know that Pettine defensive scheme works and he had success with it but I hope it doesn't overwhelm our players as they have done under Capers. I'm hoping Pettine time out of the game and his time spent with Seattle allowed him to evaluate and incorporate new ideas to his scheme and to make it better and simpler. If he can successfully pull off a highly effective simplified 3-4 defence that would be fantastic for our team.

Pete Carroll during his time away from the NFL started to think about his ideas and philosophies and was inspired by several books that formed the basis of his coaching philosophy and his defensive scheme and brought it to Seattle. Hopefully something like that will happen for Pettine.

The complication aspect of both Pettine's and Caper's schemes are way overblown.

It's just football guys, this isn't neuroscience or bio chemistry. 

Literally all of us could master any defensive playbook given a couple months. The gaps in coverage are more communication problems then people not understanding the scheme. 

2 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

The complication aspect of both Pettine's and Caper's schemes are way overblown.

It's just football guys, this isn't neuroscience or bio chemistry. 

Literally all of us could master any defensive playbook given a couple months. The gaps in coverage are more communication problems then people not understanding the scheme. 

Thank-you for that.

Can anyone tell me if Pettine is knows for running zone or man predominant coverages in the secondary? Trying to fall in love with a corner but a couple of the top ones are so divided... I wouldn't want Josh Jackson if we are going to play mostly man. King probably best at press coverage and i don't see Josh doing that well at all. Denzel Ward pls

24 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Can anyone tell me if Pettine is knows for running zone or man predominant coverages in the secondary? Trying to fall in love with a corner but a couple of the top ones are so divided... I wouldn't want Josh Jackson if we are going to play mostly man. King probably best at press coverage and i don't see Josh doing that well at all. Denzel Ward pls

He's known for having his corners play press man to man coverage. 

3 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Ok then I am not interested in Josh Jackson

Why not out of curiosity? Especially with the new DC in town he seems to fit the bill rather well. 

He's played both zone and man coverage @ Iowa. Has the length that would be great oppose King, and just like King - is a willing tackler. 

Just now, Zing said:
5 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Ok then I am not interested in Josh Jackson

Why not out of curiosity? Especially with the new DC in town he seems to fit the bill rather well. 

He's played both zone and man coverage @ Iowa. Has the length that would be great oppose King, and just like King - is a willing tackler. 

He is a playmaker, good eyes, breaks really well when he sees it. I don't think he runs that well though and I'm not sure press man is his best look. 

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think the best way to describe my feelings toward this hire is guarded optimism.  I understand the love for Fangio and Bradley, and for Pettine.  It seems like the days of playing soft coverage is gone, or at the very least not overly used.

Looking at the DL, it seems like we have our obvious 3T in Mike Daniels and Nick Perry as the one DE.  The question I have is does Kenny Clark play the 0T or does he play strong-side 3T.  IIRC, Kris Jenkins was their nose tackle during the Jets days and he was north of 330 pounds.  I'd have to imagine that they'd prefer him at the 3T, but maybe @AlexGreen#20 could add his thoughts on this one.

Clay is the obvious SAM, and Blake Martinez is the MIKE in this one, but who plays WILL is the question.  I don't see a real obvious one on this one.

Seems like this scheme puts the CBs on an island a LOT.  And that's where Kevin King is probably a more natural fit.  Personally, I like Randall in more of a playmaking mode than straight-up over a receiver but I think he's capable.  This is going to ask a LOT out of HHCD, but I think Josh Jones moves into a more natural fit.

Can't see the Nickel personnel changing too much up front. Daniels and Clark are your guys there. 

In the Base, it probably depends on personnel. Clark's your stoutest guy up front right now with the only real competition being Dial. I think Clark at the moment is your NT in both the 3-4 and the 4-3 Under 2-gap. You just don't have a designated Big other than him right now. Dial's all right, but he's a JAG. Lowry isn't a 2-gap guy, and Adams isn't even a guy at this point. If you're going to the 4-3 Under 1-gap, things get more interesting, but at that point your group up front is still Daniels and Clark.

If you're running the 4-3 Under 1-gap, Clay is your obvious Sam. 

Depending on scenario, your off-ball LB combo is probably Ryan at the Mike and Martinez at the Will. That's assuming you expect run.

If you're stressing pass and still in the "Base" you run a group of Clay at Sam, Martinez at Mike and Jones/Burnett/Thomas at Will. 

10 hours ago, WiscFan3 said:

Maybe Oakland will hire him instead...

9 hours ago, Chili said:

Thank you Oakland!! Take him far away from us as possible!! xD

Would much rather stick with Moss as LB coach than bringing Jim O'Neil aboard.

Thank you Raiders

Sounds like this guy will be coaching some of the LB's

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/01/11/packers-pluck-patrick-graham-defensive-coaching-staff/1027144001/

"...coach Mike McCarthy added promising young assistant coach Patrick Graham to the staff, according to a source familiar with the hiring.

Graham, 38, coached the defensive line under head coach Ben McAdoo with the New York Giants last year, but it’s likely he’ll handle a linebackers position on the staff. The inside linebackers position is open and that could be the spot Graham takes.

Graham has coached both linebackers and defensive line, but considers himself a linebackers coach and prefers to work there.

Graham was a defensive coaching assistant for New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick in 2009 and a defensive assistant coach in 2010. He was promoted to linebackers coach in 2011 and then moved to the defensive line from 2012-13. He returned to coach linebackers in ’14 and ’15."

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Can't see the Nickel personnel changing too much up front. Daniels and Clark are your guys there. 

In the Base, it probably depends on personnel. Clark's your stoutest guy up front right now with the only real competition being Dial. I think Clark at the moment is your NT in both the 3-4 and the 4-3 Under 2-gap. You just don't have a designated Big other than him right now. Dial's all right, but he's a JAG. Lowry isn't a 2-gap guy, and Adams isn't even a guy at this point. If you're going to the 4-3 Under 1-gap, things get more interesting, but at that point your group up front is still Daniels and Clark.

If you're running the 4-3 Under 1-gap, Clay is your obvious Sam. 

Depending on scenario, your off-ball LB combo is probably Ryan at the Mike and Martinez at the Will. That's assuming you expect run.

If you're stressing pass and still in the "Base" you run a group of Clay at Sam, Martinez at Mike and Jones/Burnett/Thomas at Will. 

If I recall correctly, when we were under Dom you were pretty opposed to us drafting a true nose or another DL since we were nickel so much. Do you still think that under Pettine a Vea/Wilkins/Payne - who could all be solid value plays at 14 from what I've read - would be a waste? Assuming the EDGES are "Meh" at the slot, I would be excited about having another hoss next to Clark/Daniels but not sure how much we'd actually get all 3 in. 

Archived