Packers hire Mike Pettine as Defensive Coordinator

marky mark

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I still don't see the value in drafting a LB that high.  I'd honestly rather go spend that draft pick or money elsewhere.  One thought that rattled through my head is making Josh Jones the de facto WILL LB.  And that moves Randall into that SS role, and that they could use another boundary corner.

I agree for the most part- I would like to see pass rush and WR addressed early in this draft and the DB and TE positions addressed moreso in FA and then fortified with mid/late round prospects. I can be down with a truly exceptional LB at 14 as long as that LB is a very savy blitzer and can make plays all over the field. Josh Jones is supposed to be that guy but he lost his mind and was thinking too much in the Capers scheme IMO.  If the staff feels R Smith is going to be a truly special player, I would be skeptical but hopeful. If that stud pass rusher is not there at 14 (inside or off the edge) or not of value at that slot, get 12 a new playmaker on the boundary IMO. That is where my mind is when I look at these mocks, read the profiles and go through my notes right now.

I'm really glad we hired Patrick Graham. Everything I've read about him has been positive including winning Superbowl XLIX. He helped transform linebackers Dont'a Hightower and Jamie Collins into one of the best duos in football at that position. Both have big-play capabilities on the defensive side of the ball, and both have become effective communicators in the middle of the Patriots defense. Hopefully he can carry that knowledge and experience over and form an excellent linebacker unit for us.

He left New England under mysterious circumstances. He was considered one possible candidate to replace Patrica if he ever left for a head coaching job. Patrica didn't leave last year so Graham suddenly left to go to New York.

i can't help but wonder If he was more patient last year and this off-season he maybe had two coordinator opportunities:

1. Replace Patrica as Patriots defensive coordinator.

2. Work under Patrica as defensive coordinator.

Instead he accepted a coaching role with the Packers. xD

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Perry-Daniels-Lowry-Matthews-Fackrell

TBH we should be playing Kenny Clark over either Lowry or Fackrell.  And that young UDFA over fackrell.

Daniels--Clark-- Lowry  Perry-Matthews. 

which is why we don't 100% need to go for a true speed edge if we want to try for a cam heyward type pick, since he would be a good edge/3 tech combo type guy who could play a lot of useful snaps.  Clark had a couple nice surges on 3rd downs.  I think he might command a double team at times even in pass pro.

57 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

TBH we should be playing Kenny Clark over either Lowry or Fackrell.  And that young UDFA over fackrell.

Daniels--Clark-- Lowry  Perry-Matthews. 

which is why we don't 100% need to go for a true speed edge if we want to try for a cam heyward type pick, since he would be a good edge/3 tech combo type guy who could play a lot of useful snaps.  Clark had a couple nice surges on 3rd downs.  I think he might command a double team at times even in pass pro.

I pretty much agree with AG20 in that this year anyone drafted on DL with a high pick should be a pass rusher. 

22 hours ago, incognito_man said:

If Smith has 3 day ability and rush potential he should definitely be considered at 14. If he's purely an ILB with little rush or coverage potential then he shouldn't.

I don't see him as a Luke Kuechly or Patrick Willis ILB.

21 hours ago, MNPackfan32 said:

You had me with this post all the way until Randall. Why do people keep wanting to move him? He was crazy good at the end of the year, shut down Gordon and Funchess. He can play inside, but he played a lot outside and was terrific. 

But yes, I'm against an off LOS LBer that high and Jones could absolutely be a WILL if we show a 4-3 look. Probably his best position from what I have seen.

I'm not saying he can't play outside, but I think he's best when he's being utilized as a rover rather than just running with a WR.  I think he's got that kind of instincts that you can't teach, and he's generally better when he's not thinking.

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Can't see the Nickel personnel changing too much up front. Daniels and Clark are your guys there. 

In the Base, it probably depends on personnel. Clark's your stoutest guy up front right now with the only real competition being Dial. I think Clark at the moment is your NT in both the 3-4 and the 4-3 Under 2-gap. You just don't have a designated Big other than him right now. Dial's all right, but he's a JAG. Lowry isn't a 2-gap guy, and Adams isn't even a guy at this point. If you're going to the 4-3 Under 1-gap, things get more interesting, but at that point your group up front is still Daniels and Clark.

If you're running the 4-3 Under 1-gap, Clay is your obvious Sam. 

Depending on scenario, your off-ball LB combo is probably Ryan at the Mike and Martinez at the Will. That's assuming you expect run.

If you're stressing pass and still in the "Base" you run a group of Clay at Sam, Martinez at Mike and Jones/Burnett/Thomas at Will. 

You should do a YouTube video or something.  Hint, hint.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not saying he can't play outside, but I think he's best when he's being utilized as a rover rather than just running with a WR.  I think he's got that kind of instincts that you can't teach, and he's generally better when he's not thinking.

Running man to man with a WR requires the least amount of thinking. Let your shutdown CB be a shutdown CB imo.

22 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

Does anybody else find it strange that the Packers haven't officially announced this yet? I wonder what the holdup is. 

The real reason is that MM wants to get everything settled before he has a presser/ announcement. The fate of Darren Perry and Winston Moss are still hanging out there and they haven't identified a DL coach yet.

Archived