Cousins would seriously consider Browns

Dawgpoun8017

9 minutes ago, bruceb said:

And completely crap the cap.

Would you take being tighter against the cap for a good 4 year playoff window? I know I would. For these past two years, I haven't been thinking "way to go Sashi, for having us with the most cap space in the league", I've been driven to mostly do other things on Sundays because we can only win one game in 2 years. Gotta spend money to get good players.

5 minutes ago, bruceb said:

And completely crap the cap.

how so? The Browns will have over $100m for this season. They could give him a fat contract and it will only take up around 25% available money. The Browns dont have any big FAs to sign. There best players are prolly already locked up or playing on rookie contracts that still have 3years left on them. This Browns team could be built like KC but instead of trading high picks for their QB, they just got him via FA.

Its not like he wouldnt be worth the money. He is young enough and say long enough that he could play well into his 35-36years. A start of good QB play that long would be a freaking god send. Hell maybe Kizer is still the back up and at 26-27, he is no ready to be the full time starter.

5 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Would you take being tighter against the cap for a good 4 year playoff window? I know I would. For these past two years, I haven't been thinking "way to go Sashi, for having us with the most cap space in the league", I've been driven to mostly do other things on Sundays because we can only win one game in 2 years. Gotta spend money to get good players.

Not a window within which we do not win a SB, imho.

Just knocking at the door.

Mastur something.

6 minutes ago, bruceb said:

If signing Cousins means foregoing Darnold at #1, we will continue to suck.

The only difference will be that suck will mean our ceiling is some playoff appearances for a while until we sink back to full suck.

You have to suck to get a franchise QB.

We already have sucked historically.

Now is the time to take the advantage that gives us to get our QBOTF, not to spend assets on a journeyman+.

How is signing Cousins and not drafting a QB #1 overall continue the suck? Wouldnt it be the opposite when Cousin has been the best QB to hit the FA market and have a legit chance of leaving their team since Manning left Indy. Cousins isnt a journeyman QB? You dont see QBs like him hit FA unless of injuries or the FO scewed the pooch. lucky for the Browns it was the screwing of the pooch.

Browns have sucked for 20years, they have no franchise QB. 

Maybe with Cousins as the QB. The team is able to develop and grow and the franchise outlook is able to change. Maybe Dorsey does the same thing in CLE like he did in KC. Sees the end of the road for his QB and drafts the replacement a year or two early. 

Saying the team will keep sucking if they put all their eggs in the cousin basket. Nothing wroung about that when he is a good legit NFL QB. It be difference if the talks were about McCarron or say Chase Daniels. guys you have no idea they have a future as a starting QB

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Not a window within which we do not win a SB, imho.

Just knocking at the door.

Mastur something.

I would love to knock on the door, when the past 20years, we couldnt even find the right neighborhood. 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

How is signing Cousins and not drafting a QB #1 overall continue the suck? Wouldnt it be the opposite when Cousin has been the best QB to hit the FA market and have a legit chance of leaving their team since Manning left Indy. Cousins isnt a journeyman QB? You dont see QBs like him hit FA unless of injuries or the FO scewed the pooch. lucky for the Browns it was the screwing of the pooch.

Browns have sucked for 20years, they have no franchise QB. 

Maybe with Cousins as the QB. The team is able to develop and grow and the franchise outlook is able to change. Maybe Dorsey does the same thing in CLE like he did in KC. Sees the end of the road for his QB and drafts the replacement a year or two early. 

Saying the team will keep sucking if they put all their eggs in the cousin basket. Nothing wroung about that when he is a good legit NFL QB. It be difference if the talks were about McCarron or say Chase Daniels. guys you have no idea they have a future as a starting QB

One of my points is that Cousins is good enough to help us win some games, and maybe even get some playoff appearances, but that is where it ends.

If, because we have committed major dinero to him, we forego Darnold, we are in NFL purgatory.

I want to win a SB.

Signing Cousins would put us further away from not closer to achieving that objective.

7 minutes ago, bruceb said:

One of my points is that Cousins is good enough to help us win some games, and maybe even get some playoff appearances, but that is where it ends.

If, because we have committed major dinero to him, we forego Darnold, we are in NFL purgatory.

I want to win a SB.

Signing Cousins would put us further away from not closer to achieving that objective.

giphy.gif

Say Cousins could get us into the playoffs but at the same time, put the team/franchise farther away from winning the superbowl than being closer too. 

Q5595_s-200x150.gif

I want to rescue the process, but in the process you will need to slay some dragons first.

I would love to win the superbowl but I would love to see a process. I would love to win 5+ games, win 10+ games, make the playoffs, win the division, and win a playoff game.  Some of those things need to happen. Also this Browns team could be good enough that the QB doesnt need to go on some historical run. Browns have the front 7 pieces that could dominate if they get an offense to take pressure off of them and a secondary that could make a QB hold onto the ball longer.

Yeah I’m with @bruceb  Give me Darnold and a bridge qb. Right now Cousins gets us a wee bit better than above average. Great stats but he doesn’t get us a super bowl. He needs a really good defense to win it all. 

Give me Smith where we can pretty much win as much as having Cousins and groom Darnold to be the guy I wholeheartedly believe will be better than either smith or Cousins, continue to build our D and boom 4 years we’re competing for championships for years. Come on you guys don’t sacrifice temporary pleasure for long lasting pleasure. I know many in here haven’t seen winning. I’m really sorry for that. But trust me when I say this you all will hate being just good enough to lose in a playoff game. Which I’m pretty sure Washington didn’t even get to with Cousins. 

Patience. Looks like we have a good FO. We have a shot at a top qb. We’ve sucked and we deserve to finally take said top qb. Can we please finally do so and avoid mediocrity?

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

giphy.gif

Say Cousins could get us into the playoffs but at the same time, put the team/franchise farther away from winning the superbowl than being closer too. 

Q5595_s-200x150.gif

I want to rescue the process, but in the process you will need to slay some dragons first.

I would love to win the superbowl but I would love to see a process. I would love to win 5+ games, win 10+ games, make the playoffs, win the division, and win a playoff game.  Some of those things need to happen. Also this Browns team could be good enough that the QB doesnt need to go on some historical run. Browns have the front 7 pieces that could dominate if they get an offense to take pressure off of them and a secondary that could make a QB hold onto the ball longer.

If you buy into the narrative that a team needs a franchise QB to win a SB, and I do, Cousins, who should have 5+ good years ahead of him would be sentencing us to always fall short "success".

Unless, of course, you are hoping for the second coming of a Trent Dilfer lead D juggernaut Ravens team.

5 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Come on you guys don’t sacrifice temporary pleasure for long lasting pleasure. I know many in here haven’t seen winning. I’m really sorry for that. But trust me when I say this you all will hate being just good enough to lose in a playoff game.

Reverend!

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

If you buy into the narrative that a team needs a franchise QB to win a SB, and I do, Cousins, who should have 5+ good years ahead of him would be sentencing us to always fall short "success".

Unless, of course, you are hoping for the second coming of a Trent Dilfer lead D juggernaut Ravens team.

Winning the superbowl is not the measure of success for the Browns, c'mon. Flacco has never been an amazing QB but he got hot at the right time. Outside of Tom Brady and the Pats. You didnt need to have some kind of a top5 QB in the league to make it to the superbowl. 

Trent Dilfer wishes he had half the talent Cousins has.

Just now, brownie man said:

Ill say it this way

if you CANT get Alex Smith for some reason

my number 2 would be Sam Bradford 

and if you can’t get him

give Kirk Cousins as much money as it’ll take 

I wouldnt want to touch Bradford. His knee is done. I wouldnt want to waste the time on him.

Kirk Cousins ain't coming here...lol

So, Albert Breer...he of the I used to be an insider but couldn't hack it...says Kirk is strongly this or that...

Come on...the stuff that passes for news these days

When challenged " I didn't speak to Kirk directly but the agents seem to believe he'd strongly entertain Cleveland"

Let's see does it benefit Kirk Cousins to have NFL teams including the one he's currently on think that he'd entertain going to the Team with the 2nd MOST Salary Cap Space.

Hmmm... I'd wager a guess that every major free agent will have stories about how they're considering Cleveland so they can leverage teams to show them the money.

Getting excited about this nonnews or believing it to be representative of reality is a sign of our dystopian future.

9 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yeah I’m with @bruceb  Give me Darnold and a bridge qb. Right now Cousins gets us a wee bit better than above average. Great stats but he doesn’t get us a super bowl. He needs a really good defense to win it all. 

Give me Smith where we can pretty much win as much as having Cousins and groom Darnold to be the guy I wholeheartedly believe will be better than either smith or Cousins, continue to build our D and boom 4 years we’re competing for championships for years. Come on you guys don’t sacrifice temporary pleasure for long lasting pleasure. I know many in here haven’t seen winning. I’m really sorry for that. But trust me when I say this you all will hate being just good enough to lose in a playoff game. Which I’m pretty sure Washington didn’t even get to with Cousins. 

Patience. Looks like we have a good FO. We have a shot at a top qb. We’ve sucked and we deserve to finally take said top qb. Can we please finally do so and avoid mediocrity?

Every QB basically needs a really good defense. Brady needed his defense to play amazing in the 2nd half to win last year. Year before that Denver had to play great with Manning as the QB. year before that, it was the defense coming up with a huge stop, year before that Seattle's defense destroyed the best offense in the league. You saying him needing a really good defense like its a con, every QB needs a really good defense. 

you say "sacrifice temporary pleasure for long lasting pleasure". The temporary pleasure would be something that is a known commodity. The long last pleasure, is a gamble, on something that might never reach come to fruition. To me it sounds like, do I want to take this 7 home, who already has her hands down my pants, or do I tell her no, and go try my luck with the 10 to see if I could take her home. 

I love the idea of darnold dont get me wrong. Im playing devils advocate. but you look Darnold has as much potential as leading the Browns to the superbowl to being the next Brady Quinn for us. Darnold might have the higher ceiling but we have no idea if he will ever reach it. Cousins floor is high enough that he could change the franchise by being able to help them become consistent winners. 

I could see if we were fighting over Jeff Garcia again, Jay Cutler, or Josh McCown. Can we name the last time at least a heathy top15 QB has hit the FA market?

Archived