Offseason news/rumours

KimuraGod

9 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Another rumor floating around is Teddy B with McCown backing him up if we don't get Cousins.

Horrifying.  What a dumb idea.  God forbid we draft a QB in the deepest QB draft in recent memory.

21 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Another rumor floating around is Teddy B with McCown backing him up if we don't get Cousins.

I’d be ok with this. Although I’d rather see us just get Teddy and draft a guy in Round 2 or 3. Roll with Teddy, rookie and Hack. Bridgewater could be a deal at the price I’ve heard for him.

2yr/25mill with 15mill guaranteed. I think that’s absolutely worth the risk.

This is my plan B after Cousins.

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

Key word... injured.  Pretty consistently injured, and that doesn't get better with age.  He's only been over 500 scrimmage yards twice, and once only barely.  We should draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd.  This is a great RB class and we need one who isn't older, isn't injured often, and is cheap.

Macc hasn’t seemed to value RB though in 3 drafts when we had older backs most those years too. I don’t have a lot of confidence in him that he addresses this need. If I knew he’d target a RB I’d be singing a different tune. I also think Powell shouldn’t have any holding power on this roster. He has a very cuttable contract and is getting slower. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Macc hasn’t seemed to value RB though in 3 drafts when we had older backs most those years too. I don’t have a lot of confidence in him that he addresses this need. If I knew he’d target a RB I’d be singing a different tune. I also think Powell shouldn’t have any holding power on this roster. He has a very cuttable contract and is getting slower. 

They have mentioned stressing the running game though going into next year, and that was apparently part of the reason that Morton got the boot was because he abandoned the run to quickly.  If they really wanna do that then old partially broken legs can't be the plan.

Also in regards to Bridgewater I am somewhat ok with us signing him, but if his signing stops us from taking a guy at 6 then I am out.  He just isn't the superstar that i am striving for even before the injury.  In 2015 with the #4 rushing offense backing him up and some good offensive talent around him he had only 14 TD's.... that is nothing.  And that is against 9 picks.  To put that in perspective Jacoby Brissett who was basically an afterthought as a starter this year on a complete nightmare of a team had 13 and 7.  Anyone Clamoring for Brissett as their new starter????  Didn't think so.... and he has 2 working knees.

I get wanting to take a look at Teddy but I'm not passing on a top QB for him.  He was largely mediocre when he did play and he's coming off a major injury not some torn ACL.  I mean am I supposed to get excited about 14 TD's and a mid 80's passer rating.  He's a high upside camp body at this point, nothing more.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

I get wanting to take a look at Teddy but I'm not passing on a top QB for him.  He was largely mediocre when he did play and he's coming off a major injury not some torn ACL.  I mean am I supposed to get excited about 14 TD's and a mid 80's passer rating.  He's a high upside camp body at this point, nothing more.

This. To bring him in and rely on him to be your starter is a ridiculous gamble. If they bring him in to compete against a highly drafted rookie then that’s fine.

Signing Teddy, McCown, and then waiting to draft another 3rdish round project and I’m ready for a new GM.

53 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d be ok with this. Although I’d rather see us just get Teddy and draft a guy in Round 2 or 3. Roll with Teddy, rookie and Hack. Bridgewater could be a deal at the price I’ve heard for him.

2yr/25mill with 15mill guaranteed. I think that’s absolutely worth the risk.

This is my plan B after Cousins.

Personally, id still draft a guy round 1, but even if not, why do we need McCown to backup Teddy B?  Teddy is a competent QB assuming he's at full health.  If that's true, I don't get the McCown piece. 

19 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I'd love the idea of Teddy and Baker/Darnold/Rosen in the same room......but McCown/Teddy....................................................

100%. I'd even be cool with Teddy and Rudolph in the second even though it's not my preference. 

1 minute ago, Akomplice said:

I'm honestly shocked that people loved Chad Pennington but absolutely loathe the idea of signing Bridgewater. After Cousins, he's the second best option to go after if we're going the free agent route.

I think most like the idea of signing Teddy, but have concerns because of his injury. With that said, Chad was in a different class.  He's a top 5 game manager over the past 30 years IMO. 

If this post season showed us anything its that you don't need a superstar QB to win. So Bridgewater could be worth kicking the tires on. Yes he will need very good surrounding talent to be good. But him being cheap allows us to spend in FA bc he wont command a huge QB salary. I'm more in the thinking of lets try him out and not choose a QB high. I've stated several times that I don't think any of these QBs scream franchise QB to me. So I'd choose quality players with our 1st few picks than maybe spend our 3rd Rounder or something on a QB. I know most of you are against this. But that's bc most of you love Mayfield, when I don't. Who knows maybe Jackson falls to 37.

8 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I think most like the idea of signing Teddy, but have concerns because of his injury. With that said, Chad was in a different class.  He's a top 5 game manager over the past 30 years IMO. 

I loved Chad as much as the next guy, but you can't be a top five game manager if you can't be on the field. He gave us ONE season in which he played all the games. At the end of the day, Chad was one of the more overrated QB's in quite some time, he had more feel good stories about his career than actual football stories. Teddy already offers similar production to what Chad did.

Archived