2018 Free Agency

turtle28

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Does anybody have any idea of what we're actually doing?

I do. It is a theory. And only makes sense if "Brice" (H/T to @Doc Draper) has a long term plan and isn't just relying on the monkey to throw darts at a board.

Here goes:

As usual, we will be relatively low-key/silent in FA in the early part. And will probably pick up someone later on for cheap (like we did Zach Brown last year).

We can preserve cap space if a player like a DJax or Norman suddenly falls into our laps again.

We also need to re-sign Scherff and Smith before they enter the last year on their rookie deal. So we need to save cap space to do this. 

We can also think about moving some contracts into this year to create even more cap space in future years (this is me out on the limb now).

Losing these guys we don't really want is going to start the compensatory pick engine that @Wozand I have been dreaming for for years. Right now, we are getting a 3rd, two 5ths and the other two are probably 7ths.

So we:

1) Sign some role players

2) Re-sign our studs so we aren't caught by them blowing up (especially Scherff if he makes it past his rookie deal)

3) Preserve cap space if  a special player suddenly is released

4) Build through the draft

5) Increase our pick total for next year so we can either draft more players or use the picks to package them up to move up to get players we want in 2019.

This is the 10,000 ft level. Getting down into the weeds and knowing what actual player they are targeting? I have no idea.

25 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I do. It is a theory. And only makes sense if "Brice" (H/T to @Doc Draper) has a long term plan and isn't just relying on the monkey to throw darts at a board.

Here goes:

As usual, we will be relatively low-key/silent in FA in the early part. And will probably pick up someone later on for cheap (like we did Zach Brown last year).

We can preserve cap space if a player like a DJax or Norman suddenly falls into our laps again.

We also need to re-sign Scherff and Smith before they enter the last year on their rookie deal. So we need to save cap space to do this. 

We can also think about moving some contracts into this year to create even more cap space in future years (this is me out on the limb now).

Losing these guys we don't really want is going to start the compensatory pick engine that @Wozand I have been dreaming for for years. Right now, we are getting a 3rd, two 5ths and the other two are probably 7ths.

So we:

2) Re-sign our studs so we aren't caught by them blowing up (especially Scherff if he makes it past his rookie deal)

5) Increase our pick total for next year so we can either draft more players or use the picks to package them up to move up to get players we want in 2019.

This is the 10,000 ft level. Getting down into the weeds and knowing what actual player they are targeting? I have no idea.

Alright, well then why do you trade for a 34 year old veteran QB then?  Also that CB we traded was on a cheap rookie deal and that 3rd would have been a cheap quality prospect. 

24 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Here goes:

So we:

I mean that’s the thing is I can’t even knock what we’re doing!!! This is what we have all wanted for years. While it’s hard to look at the names go and we don’t get them in reality we all know more often then not signing these guys doesn’t translate. That said I would like to resign Brown. But if we get another Comp pick great too. But prefer Brown. We just have to keep trying to make picks and try to find that diamond

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Alright, well then why do you trade for a 34 year old veteran QB then?  Also that CB we traded was on a cheap rookie deal and that 3rd would have been a cheap quality prospect. 

They must think they are closer then most of us do. Or they really do just like Alex Smith’s game. Idk Knight I’m stocking up on bottles early for the season lol

11 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I mean that’s the thing is I can’t even knock what we’re doing!!! This is what we have all wanted for years. While it’s hard to look at the names go and we don’t get them in reality we all know more often then not signing these guys doesn’t translate. That said I would like to resign Brown. But if we get another Comp pick great too. But prefer Brown. We just have to keep trying to make picks and try to find that diamond

This would all be fine and dandy had they not gone "win now" with Alex Smith. The plan is, we have no plan. People will start to realize this when Preston Smith and Scherff walk away as well. 

42 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Here goes:

So we:

Sorry Thai, I'm not buying it. What's the point of trading for Smith then? As currently built this team cannot compete with the rest of the east save for maybe the Giants. So basically the plan was to trade for Smith to keep us somewhat competitive but sort of tank at the same time. 

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Sorry Thai, I'm not buying it. What's the point of trading for Smith then? As currently built this team cannot compete with the rest of the east save for maybe the Giants. So basically the plan was to trade for Smith to keep us somewhat competitive but sort of tank at the same time. 

The plan was for Bruce Allen to avoid fans calling for his job.

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I'm not saying trading for Smith was smart. I think they are trying to do what they always do. Which is bandaid everything. Which is why I don't think they have a long term plan. 

BUT...if I were suddenly the GM (post Smith trade), that would be the plan for me to follow to try to start thinking long term and start trying to dig us out of the hole Brice put us in.

@ByMikeJones

No buzz about free agent strong safety Eric Reid. Pro Bowl pick in 2013. Last year had 67 tackles, 2 INT and is just 26...

Eric Reid would be a good signing if he’s cheap. He can compete with Craves for a spot as a reserve safety who can play dime ILB. 

40 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

1. Free agency isn’t over

2. Build through the draft 

3. While the Redskins did miserably in the division last year (1-5) they were competitive in each game except the second Cowboys game and that was mostly because a rash of injuries and uncharacteristic drops from our wrs and a fumble by Crowder on a punt return, which he also did week 1 vs the Eagles setting up a short field. 

Most of this forum has believed that if we can get an upgrade at RB, NT and re-sign Zach Brown or if not find another better than average ILB that we can compete in the division with better health and some luck for once.  I don’t think that this thought is totally gone now. 

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

1. Free agency isn’t over

2. Build through the draft 

3. While the Redskins did miserably in the division last year (1-5) they were competitive in each game except the second Cowboys game and that was mostly because a rash of injuries and uncharacteristic drops from our wrs and a fumble by Crowder on a punt return, which he also did week 1 vs the Eagles setting up a short field. 

Most of this forum has believed that if we can get an upgrade at RB, NT and re-sign Zach Brown or if not find another better than average ILB that we can compete in the division with better health and some luck for once.  I don’t think that this thought is totally gone now. 

That's totally cool but who exactly is left on the market to replace Zach Brown outside of Zach Brown? I'd be shocked if Dontari Poe is an actual option for us based on what we're willing to spend and there's literally nothing left at RB. 

Now if by some miracle we land Payne and Michel/Chubb in the first two rounds I'd be happy. Mainly because that will give the next GM we have after Allen is fired following this season. I don't believe he's capable whatsoever of building a competitive roster. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

That's totally cool but who exactly is left on the market to replace Zach Brown outside of Zach Brown? I'd be shocked if Dontari Poe is an actual option for us based on what we're willing to spend and there's literally nothing left at RB. 

Now if by some miracle we land Payne and Michel/Chubb in the first two rounds I'd be happy. Mainly because that will give the next GM we have after Allen is fired following this season. I don't believe he's capable whatsoever of building a competitive roster. 

The Redskins had a competitive roster last year - especially when healthy. They’ve upgraded WR already. There’s certainly more work to do in FA and the draft but I think you’re overreacting a bit because we haven’t been big spenders in free agency, instead were once again choosing to mostly build through the draft which this forum clamored for every single year except the years that Allen seems to have all the control over the FA & draft. 

Seems like a double standard to me. I totally understand not believing in Bruce Allen, because I don’t like him or believe in him either but to flip flop on you’re principals of wanting to mostly build through the draft because you don’t like the GM - even though for the most part he’s following your vision for building a team - just doesn’t add up to me.

Archived