2018 Free Agency

turtle28

Just now, ripsean21 said:

Your speaking my language. Payne is my guy. I don’t hate Vea I just don’t see the Nagta comp. RB we can go round two because I’m hoping and praying Rashad Penny from SD St is there he fits this team to a T. But I love Payne. I know mocks have him late teens early 20’s because analysts are high on Vea now but on film Payne is the better player against better comp IMO and I believe 13 is the spot Payne gets selected

Vea has become a Nagata comp because of his size/speed combination. He’s a dominant and quick NT but so is Payne, Payne just isn’t quite as big. Payne can be a 3 down player where I’m not sure they Vea is.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think we draft the space eater - Payne or Vea - and draft a RB in round 2. That means we can take the cap room we have left over to sign Mathieu and one of the guess left over. 

For the right price I take the badger. But if he prices himself out I’d boost our DL rotation to add to a Payne Vea selection. And adding our DL talent could give us the opportunity to add a Smith or Edmounds in the unlikely scenario where one of them fall because I think them next too Brown could give us that Carolina type ILB corpCorp

in short we have options we just need to make sure we do the best thing for this team there’s a few scenarios that will maximize our talent with our remaining resources

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Vea has become a Nagata comp because of his size/speed combination. He’s a dominant and quick NT but so is Payne, Payne just isn’t quite as big. Payne can be a 3 down player where I’m not sure they Vea is.

The advantage I'm seeing with Vea from various people is that the difference is that Vea doesn't take plays off. Payne does. I'll take the high motor/relentless freak of nature

Bottom line in the league today you really need 3 corners but you better have 2. While I like Moreau I’m not sure he’s ready to go from our 4 to our 2. He’s most likely going to the Jets to be with Bowles or the Giants (barf) to be with Bettcher anyway. 

Still have a feeling they think they have their honey Badger in Cravens, again (barf)

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I agree I get the comp for those reasons but on film they are just two different technicians. Ngata keeps a wide base gets low and drives lineman up with force. Vea is much more of a arm swim dip kind of player where he moves through guys by going around and using his arms to go around or by. Ngata was more of a physical guy and actually Payne’s play style is more like that then Vea. I get the physical trait connection but my comps are off playing style. I can have a 5’9” WR comp with a 6’1” if their game is similar

11 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

The advantage I'm seeing with Vea from various people is that the difference is that Vea doesn't take plays off. Payne does. I'll take the high motor/relentless freak of nature

Ok here's my issue.  Ya you can compare him to Ngata cause of the size/speed ratio, you can also compare him to Danny Shelton (who also played at Washington much more recently than Ngata did at Oregon), or you can compare him to Dontari Poe.  Those are the 3 best comps IMO for a guy his size.  Ngata is a possible HOFer, Poe is solid but on his 3rd NFL team now, and Danny Shelton was just dumped for scraps.  

You can't just say a 350 lb NT is going to be successful on size alone.

Meanwhile Payne was absolutely mauling a pretty solid Georgia Oline in that National Title game. 

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I haven’t watched every game of both but I don’t Think Payne takes plays off. I think some plays he attacks and impacts plays personally then he’s asked to 2 gap and opens things up for others. But like I said I haven’t watched every snap. I will say Vea plays hard from what I’ve seen but I’ve seen him get bottled up quite a bit against better draftable prospects he’s gone against

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Not arguing because I like both but I’ll throw in a couple pros for Payne 

1) Playing with his buddy Allen can be beneficial to his motor

2)Sometimes when your on a defense stacked with all-Americans the other guys can make it look like your taking a play off. Some guys from the glory days of the U used to get that label. 

10 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Not arguing because I like both but I’ll throw in a couple pros for Payne 

1) Playing with his buddy Allen can be beneficial to his motor

2)Sometimes when your on a defense stacked with all-Americans the other guys can make it look like your taking a play off. Some guys from the glory days of the U used to get that label. 

Right they said the same about Sapp and Rey Lewis along with Rey’s size. I know Rey’s a LB but they questioned his motor. but I don’t see Payne’s motor being a problem. Plus his Burt off the line reminds me of Von Miller’s and he’s 70 80 pounds heavier. I would cheer for both I don’t dislike Vea as a prospect. Heck with Tomsula I’m sure I’ll love him when he looks like Wilfork next to Allen who reminds me a lot of Justin Smith in SF. Smith in San Fran I thought was so under rated he was a nightmare for teams under Tomsula

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Ive never seen Payne take plays off. In the big games for Alabama this year he was dominant. I don’t think we can go wrong with either guy they both are dominant NTs.

8 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

Bottom line in the league today you really need 3 corners but you better have 2. While I like Moreau I’m not sure he’s ready to go from our 4 to our 2. He’s most likely going to the Jets to be with Bowles or the Giants (barf) to be with Bettcher anyway. 

Still have a feeling they think they have their honey Badger in Cravens, again (barf)

Just a reminder this time last year and up until the regular season most people in this forum were doubting if Fuller was going to be a good corner too. All Fuller did was go out and become the top slot corner in the nfl last year. 

Much like Fuller in his rookie season, Moreau was slowed in his development in our defense last offseason because of his torn pec and missing most of the offseason workout because of it.  

There’s obviously no guarantees with young players but Moreau had late first round or 2nd round talent coming out of UCLA, the only reason he fell a round to a round in a half was because he tore his pec working out.

My thought is that Moreau will end up being the starter opposite Norman. I could be wrong but I have a feeling he’s going to develop just fine and leapfrog Dunny for that starting position. 

6 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Doug Williams said he will address the running back position. Could be going DL and RB as the first two picks .

I don't think we are gonna sign Logan or Richardson. 

Seems as if redskins are saving money to pay Schreff next year .

That’s true, I hope we do and I know I sound like a broken record but I’d perfer us take Payne/Vea round 1 and the best available RB in round 2. There will likely be 3 to 5 RB prospects worthy of our 2nd round pick when we select.

Archived