The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

I'm not even trying to hate but does anyone else think that the hype around Watson and his expected growth this year is a bit silly? He's coming off an ACL and now teams have film on him. What second year quarterback WOULDNT struggle in that scenario?

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm not even trying to hate but does anyone else think that the hype around Watson and his expected growth this year is a bit silly? He's coming off an ACL and now teams have film on him. What second year quarterback WOULDNT struggle in that scenario?

Ya it won’t be as easy to start out for sure. I’m glad we have them early on the schedule because if he is healthy in November that Monday Night game won’t be easy.

Analyst overreact to such a small sample size but who knows how he does. History suggests he will struggle. Not saying they will be a bad team just won’t look so easy and video game like  

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

I've been shouting this from the mountain tops.  He played well in what 7 games?  And people are saying he is maybe a top 10 QB now?

1. Rob Johnson
2. Scott Mittchell
3. Steve Beuerlein
4. Elvis Grbac
5. Derek Anderson

Look up their best years..flashes in the pan. That was just from a quick google search. 

To say Watson is a sure fire franchise guy is absurd.

Not to mention RG3. Nick Foles. 
Even Billy Volek......

But since Watson happened recently all those other examples are null and void and "Watson is way better than any of those guys."

If we don't get Lewan signed before TC I'm going to be extremely irritated. Just pay the guy his money already, we're already going to be missing Conklin for a bit, don't turn that in to a disaster by missing Lewan too. It's not that complicated, JRob.

I won’t comment on it I don’t want to ruffle any feathers but like Legend said I watch football not for the political views. 

Anyway is anyone else a little concerned over the Lewan contract situation? We haven’t heard any rumblings that the 2 sides are even talking with camp coming next week

2 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I won’t comment on it I don’t want to ruffle any feathers but like Legend said I watch football not for the political views. 

Anyway is anyone else a little concerned over the Lewan contract situation? We haven’t heard any rumblings that the 2 sides are even talking with camp coming next week

We practically never hear anything about anything from this franchise anymore, so not sure it's a sign of a bad thing.

I think it's almost blasphemous to post this... but is signing Lewan to the richest OL contract ever worth it... is the value there?

I've guesstimated the probability of the contract, and it's going to be huge... 100M+, 50M+ guaranteed,  etc.

I know he's awesome, he protects Mariota, he's not a liability in the run game... great in the lockerroom... just a solid all around player, a top 5 LT. But is any non-QB worth that kinda money? At what point is the value just not there? It's not about cash, it's about cap money... cap allocation... and after it's all said and done, it's a business... 

Worst case scenario, they have him at 9M this year and 16M next year... 2 years 25M... and they have what would be his replacement on the team already. Conklin's no Lewan... but how's his value compare at half the price? Is Lewan > Conklin and Byard, for example?

5 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I think it's almost blasphemous to post this... but is signing Lewan to the richest OL contract ever worth it... is the value there?

I've guesstimated the probability of the contract, and it's going to be huge... 100M+, 50M+ guaranteed,  etc.

I know he's awesome, he protects Mariota, he's not a liability in the run game... great in the lockerroom... just a solid all around player, a top 5 LT. But is any non-QB worth that kinda money? At what point is the value just not there? It's not about cash, it's about cap money... cap allocation... and after it's all said and done, it's a business... 

Worst case scenario, they have him at 9M this year and 16M next year... 2 years 25M... and they have what would be his replacement on the team already. Conklin's no Lewan... but how's his value compare at half the price? Is Lewan > Conklin and Byard, for example?

Trench play is almost as important as QB play. The Eagles have probably the best offensive line and defensive line in football and they won the super bowl last year because of it. Vikings had one of the better o-lines last year and one of the best d-lines and they went to an NFC title game with Case Keenum at QB. Jags improved their o-line play last year, especially in the run game,  along with having one of the best d-lines in football and went to the AFC championship with Blake Bortles at QB. After making improvements on both the offensive and defensive lines, the Falcons went from being a middling 8-8 type team to one of the top teams in the NFC(if Sark wasn't an idiot they probably beat Philly in the playoffs last year).

And swapping a right tackle to left tackle doesn't always work out. The sets/technique used differ from both positions. Watch the pro bowl, hell watch Lewan play right tackle in the pro bowl. He looks extremely awkward doing it, as does every other LT who tries to play RT. You could probably get around that by Conklin devoting an entire off-season to learning left tackle..but why would you give up having a top tier OT duo?

IMO, the money should be spent on Mariota, o-line, defense. Receivers are entirely a product of a QB/scheme. I mean you can get lucky and grab a Julio Jones or something but you don't need an individually talented receiver to win in the NFL. RBs are a dime a dozen. Protect your QB, have a line that can open holes in the run game so it doesn't matter who is running behind it, and have a great defense.

We can afford Mariota, Lewan, Conklin, Byard, Casey, Jackson etc. It restricts some of what you might be able to do in FA, but it's a good problem to have. You generally want your money tied up in guys you draft. Use FA just to bring in role players generally, or if you have a little extra cash you can splurge and get an impact guy(like we did this year with Butler).

I think it's "scary" for us because we've never really seen this problem before as Titans fans. But you look over the years, teams manage just fine paying a lot of good players. Just in our own division in "recent yeas", Colts afforded Manning, Wayne, Harrison, James, Saturday, Glenn, Freeney, Mathis, Sanders and Brackett without issue.

Also I think assuming Conklin is going to be half the price is stretching it pretty far. Top tier right tackles are starting to get paid up close to top tier left tackles because people are starting to realize that it's actually the right tackle that generally goes up against the defense's best pass rusher. Conklin had a rough first 3 or so weeks last year but returned to his rookie form after that, and he's pretty much stonewalled people like Justin Houston, Von Miller, Calais Campbell, Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack and so on and so forth in pass protection so far in his career. The guy is gonna be worth a pretty penny when it comes time for his contract. This of course assuming his knee injury has no lasting ill effects.

It's 100% worth it to pay a top tier LT a big contract. Because we can afford it, and still afford keeping all the other key components to this team. And you know as well as I do, in 2 years Lewan's contract isn't going to look nearly as big. The cap will keep rising, player's contracts will keep rising.

In short:

Archived