The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

20 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Exactly right cap space doesn't matter at all. We should trade for Landry and sign him to a 12 million dollar a year deal, sign Josh Sitton for 10 mil a year to play RG, sign Trumaine Johnson to 11 mil a year deal, and then extend Lewan to 15 mil a year and Mariota to 30 mil a year. 

It doesn't matter of players are overpaid we have infinite cap space.

Seems to be working for the Jags...

Sarcasm aside, do you see a ot of teams in cap trouble? When was the last time you saw a cap related talent purge? Teams have become incredibly savy about managing the cap. Again the only two teams with cap problems are the Super Bowl camps and the team trying to trade Jarvis. 

No you can' go consistently overboard handing out money, but yall at like one supersized deal would bring the team finances to shambles

4 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I've made it known that I don't want Landry. Having said that, I'm sure I'll come around if he were to join us. It's not like he isn't talented.

Exactly, my beef with Landry more involves the pick we'd be giving up to get him more so than the salary he would make here

14 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Seems to be working for the Jags...

Sarcasm aside, do you see a ot of teams in cap trouble? When was the last time you saw a cap related talent purge? Teams have become incredibly savy about managing the cap. Again the only two teams with cap problems are the Super Bowl camps and the team trying to trade Jarvis. 

No you can' go consistently overboard handing out money, but yall at like one supersized deal would bring the team finances to shambles

I just prefer to give the supersized deals to really good players at impact positions or positions of dire need. You can only give out so many. 

Maybe my perception of how impactful a slot WR is is wrong, but I just dont think it warrants a supersized deal. I'd be all for paying a CB or Edge guy top money, but we cant do that in the future when money is tied up elsewhere. Maybe Im wrong though and thats exactly what this offense needs.

Get back to me in 2 years on the Jags when that money comes back to haunt them. They were in the same situation as us where they drafted so damn horribly they couldn't spend the money on their own guys so they had to pay UFAs. We've turned that around in the last couple years and we will need to be spending it on our guys very soon.

40 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I just prefer to give the supersized deals to really good players at impact positions or positions of dire need. You can only give out so many. 

Maybe my perception of how impactful a slot WR is is wrong, but I just dont think it warrants a supersized deal. I'd be all for paying a CB or Edge guy top money, but we cant do that in the future when money is tied up elsewhere. Maybe Im wrong though and thats exactly what this offense needs.

Get back to me in 2 years on the Jags when that money comes back to haunt them. They were in the same situation as us where they drafted so damn horribly they couldn't spend the money on their own guys so they had to pay UFAs. We've turned that around in the last couple years and we will need to be spending it on our guys very soon.

Will It though? You've seen today that they've begun shedding some of those bad contracts. This is where I say FO's are getting more savy. Despite all those contracts they still were able to re-up star LB tevin smith. By the time they have to pay Jack, Ramsey or Fournette, malic jackson, Calais Campbell or marcel darius's contracts will likely be at a place where cutting them nets them the requisite cap space they'll need. If they draft right going forward.

I also disagree with the opinion on slot wr's. As with the nickel position, I think slot wrs get way undervalued. I think too often people, not neccesarily you, look at slot players as your 3rd best wr or corner instead of its own position, which it has grown into. Imo thinkING that a slot guy is your 3rd best WR/DB is akin to saying a guard is your 3rd best offensive tackle. It doesn' really make sense as the skill set required is quite different.

Matthews can play in the slot, he’s very good at catching in traffic, finding the whole in the zone, YAC. I just want a burner or a vertical threat doesn’t have to be a #2 though if he is that’s a plus. I just want a WR that can play decker role but add an element of playmaking ability, catch bubble screens beat 1 on 1 coverage deep.. 

2 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Will It though? You've seen today that they've begun shedding some of those bad contracts. This is where I say FO's are getting more savy. Despite all those contracts they still were able to re-up star LB tevin smith. By the time they have to pay Jack, Ramsey or Fournette, malic jackson, Calais Campbell or marcel darius's contracts will likely be at a place where cutting them nets them the requisite cap space they'll need. If they draft right going forward.

I also disagree with the opinion on slot wr's. As with the nickel position, I think slot wrs get way undervalued. I think too often people, not neccesarily you, look at slot players as your 3rd best wr or corner instead of its own position, which it has grown into. Imo thinkING that a slot guy is your 3rd best WR/DB is akin to saying a guard is your 3rd best offensive tackle. It doesn' really make sense as the skill set required is quite different.

I 100% agree with you that slot WR is it's own position just as OG is it's own position. Landry is asking for a contract to easily make him the highest paid slot WR in the NFL by a good margin.

We need an OG too, which OG do you think we should make the highest paid OG this year? OG is to OT as Slot WR is to boundary WR, and OGs don't get paid like OTs.

Landry is a OG asking to be paid like an OT.

Positional value and priority matter when it comes to contracts.  The Jags spent a lot in FA, but on pass-rushers and corners, impact positions. 

i'm not for trading for Landry. I feel it will require giving up at least an 3rd and money.  I wouldn't mind adding him. The more weapons the better. But I'm not in love with giving up draft picks. A team like the Patriots do trade for players, especially if they see a value in their play.  So if they see a true value in Landry, I guess I can't hate it.....yet.

Patriots trade for someone at least once an off-season. Whether it be Cooks, Welker, Hogan, Ealy...etc. They normally target someone and add them, along with paying for some talent (Gilmore). 

I'm not against going after players, I just hope they have done the homework and make the addition worth while.  
I don't think we have a million holes to address in the draft. I say that saying realistically addressing. Meaning are we going to truly depend on an 5th-6th round guy to be a starter? I
If we need to add a WR, I'd take Landry with an 3rd rather than try to make an 3rd round rookie a starter. 

Archived