The Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

25 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Word on the street ? okay word from rotoworld since you guys want to be a d!ck about it, Paul Richardson is looking for 7mill plus annually on his next deal ?? Please in the name of Robinson make him an offer 

Robert Woods got about a 5 year/34 mil. deal last year and I think that'll be about the range for Richardson.

16 hours ago, Chocolateman78 said:

If you're resigning Williamson, there's not really a need for an ILB anymore. Woodyards coming off a career year, Jayon should see more snaps if anything, and Williamson if resigned will start. Thus a rookie ILB wouldn't have a clear shot at PT, and we're not really in a position to draft a LB to sit a year ala Keith Bulluck.

Also I'm going to be back ringing this bell again this draft season. I DO NOT want to trade down. I say it every year man. Quality over quantity. Everyone looks at the draft as christmas, and thus trading down is always enticing because you get more presents. Better odds to see your team draft that guy you like. I don't see it that way. IMO the only time trade downs are worth it is when your team is loaded and there for the extra picks help fill out the back end of your roster with cheap players you can develop for the future(ala the Patriots)... OR when your team is so void of talent that you're trying to parlay a top 5 pick into multiple top 50 picks because you need starters at multiple positions. (ala... us a few years back or the Browns) 

We are not in the former position yet but we have definitely escaped the latter. This team has been at or near the top in rookie snaps the past two seasons. This means we have a roster full of young experienced players.  One of the biggest problems is their aren't enough game changers on this roster. I am a proponent of a trade up this year more so than ever. We need an impact player in our front seven. That is the biggest need I see. I'd much rather trade up 10 spots and give our GM a better shot at selecting 'His Guy' at whatever position, than trade back 10 spots and hoping we can find another Kevin Byard with an additional mid round pick. 

I would sign Williamson as a stop gap.  Draft an ILB who has coverage skills.

36 minutes ago, Ockham said:

I would sign Williamson as a stop gap.  Draft an ILB who has coverage skills.

I think we already have that coverage guy in Jayon Brown. We need a guy that's a jack of all trades. Certainly better in coverage than Avery was, but we need a rangy guy that can play sideline to sideline and lay the wood when needed. 

Still think Cyp may be better off gaining 5-10 lbs and moving into a spot like that as opposed to being exposed on the edge at SS. 

4 hours ago, KingTitan said:

This isn't the year to try to find a game changing WR to me. I think it's the year to find a good #2 or #3.  I don't want to pay Watkins, don't wanna trade for Landry and I'd be ok with paying Robinson.

Davis, Sharpe, Matthews, Taylor and a good FA would make me feel comfortable with our WR core. Not ecstatic, but comfortable.

Also, I don't trust JLC to tell me if it's raining during a hurricane. (did that make sense? lol)

Find it peculiar that you don't want to pay Watkins but would be ok paying Robinson... I think they'll end up getting similar money.  And I like ARob, don't get me wrong... and he hasn't played with a good QB at all... worse even than Landry has up until last season.  More than half of his production came during 1 season though, and that is a bit concerning... 1400 of 2850 yards and 14 of 22 TDs came in 2016... a sign that he can dominate... but also a sign that there is some bust potential there.  

And yet, Watkins' QB situation has probably been the worst of the trio... Orton, Manuel, Tyrod, and Goff... and he still managed to put up over 66 ypg in Buffalo, and still just under 59 ypg including the perplexing season he just had in LA.  

51 minutes ago, Ockham said:

Spotrac says estimate Watkins contract is 3 years $17.9mil.

I love Spotrac... it's a great tool for current salary cap info.... but they're going to have to work on their forecasting tool.  Sometimes it's on point... but there are other times where there's a lot more in between the lines that their tool doesn't/can't take into account right now.  

I think there's a chance he signs a one year contract... if the market doesn't materialize  like he wants it to... similar to Jefferey last year.  But I have a hard time seeing under $12M for one year... and I think it'll be closer to Landry's one year tag number.  IMO it'll take at least 4 years/$50M, and possibly more to sign Watkins past a year.  ARob may be a couple million cheaper per year.. say 4 years/$40-46M.  $18M in either of their cases will be the SB or guaranteed portions of their contracts.

But great news that the Jags won't be franchising ARob... he now enters my top 3 wish list, I think.  My #1 target, Joyner, has been tagged so there goes that... Watkins and Richardson remain in my top 3, and Robinson or Johnson enter into my top 3/4...

Really sucks about Joyner though... think he woulda been great next to Byard... 

2 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

I wonder when we'll hear something in regards to DeMarco Murray.

There's no rush from the Titans' side... There's no trigger in his contract that guarantees any money at any point... Titans dont need the cap space at the moment either. They can wait to see if any market develops for him after the first couple of waves of FA... Maybe they can get their 7th back this year... Or a conditional pick the following year...

12 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

There's no rush from the Titans' side... There's no trigger in his contract that guarantees any money at any point... Titans dont need the cap space at the moment either. They can wait to see if any market develops for him after the first couple of waves of FA... Maybe they can get their 7th back this year... Or a conditional pick the following year...

It's really nothing but he is due a $250,000 roster bonus at the start of the league year. its not a lot of money but its still money.

3 hours ago, VY said:

I think we already have that coverage guy in Jayon Brown. We need a guy that's a jack of all trades. Certainly better in coverage than Avery was, but we need a rangy guy that can play sideline to sideline and lay the wood when needed. 

Still think Cyp may be better off gaining 5-10 lbs and moving into a spot like that as opposed to being exposed on the edge at SS. 

This...

More than that, in alot of 3-4 defenses you have a thumper and a floater. The thumper is the guy who takes on pulling guards, fullbacks, causes piles and primarily defends the run, this is Avery Williamson. The floater then is the guy who cleans up and makes most of the plays, that was Wesley Woodyard. If you're gonna replace Avery, its gotta be with somebody who can thump, which is why I could see Rashaan Evans as a pick at #25 (a thumper), but not Roquan smith (a floater)

The biggest question I have involves Brown though. What is his ceiling? Is he purely a sub package linebacker? Or could ha develop into a guy who could take over for Woodyard. Their opinion on Jayon may dictate how they approach ILB this offseason.

I don't see them moving Cyp however, which is why I don't get safety projections for FA or the draft. Cyp was a shaky signing to me last offseason, I'll be the first to say it. Despite that, I don't see J rob just giving up on a rather pricey FA after one year. Not sure how his contract is structured, but I would imagine he's going to be here. Also given Dean Pees work with hard hitting, coverage deficient safeties, (Pollard - Ravens, Harrison - Patriots) I could see Cyprien being more suited for the new scheme.

Archived