Most Surprising Player on Your Team This Year?

BleedTheClock

JuJu Schuster-Smith.  When he got his first opportunity he came out like a rocket.  I knew he had potential but man, he has been a great fit for our offense, shown a lot of maturity (save one significant incident) and shown a veteran level of reliability on the offense.

This is only half of an answer if I were to pick a second name.  There were a few guys, 3 in fact, that I wanted to get my hands on in the draft (wanted Steelers to draft) those players being Marshon Lattimore who I never thought would make it to us anyway, Takkarist McKinley who I now find myself glad we did not acquire tbh, and the guy we got, the one guy I thought that would go WAY before we picked; TJ Watt.  He is an amazing player (in terms of potential).  Typically the Steelers haven't thrown rookies into the fire at LB in the past but they did with Watt, not surprising, but what was surprising is how explosive and good in coverage he was out of the gate.  Definitely room for improvement but he is our second best linebacker, only second to Ryan Shazier.

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Colbert was a 7th round pick. He has been decent. Wouldn't say he's outplayed Reid though. Both have different responsibilities for the defense. 

Reid has also has been great, as have all our safeties when theyve been healthy (Ward, Tartt, Colbert, Reid). But Colbert has been downright sensational. Thats why i firmly believe theyre gonna let Reid walk this offseason, even though he also had an excellent season (probably his best since his pro bowl year). Do you think that would have even been an option had Tartt last season (and Ward before that) and Colbert this season not had huge breakout years? 

17 minutes ago, NJniners said:

Reid has also has been great, as have all our safeties when theyve been healthy (Ward, Tartt, Colbert, Reid). But Colbert has been downright sensational. Thats why i firmly believe theyre gonna let Reid walk this offseason, even though he also had an excellent season (probably his best since his pro bowl year). Do you think that would have even been an option had Tartt last season (and Ward before that) and Colbert this season not had huge breakout years? 

I don't think it would have changed anything in regards to Reid staying or not. Whether Colbert has the decent year he's been having for a rook, I don't think it has an effect on Reid potentially being around. Especially since they aren't asked to do the same things in the defense. Tartt and Ward maybe since the team invested in them, and they've been around. Ward can't stay on the field though so maybe it doesn't matter with him.

None of the guys the 49ers have though are irreplaceable though. It's not like they have any HOF talent back there. 

I am going to switch it up and say McVay. I honestly saw the potential in Goff. We all knew Gurley had it in him. But with a new, young coach, it can be boom or bust. So you kinda hope for the best but expect the worst. 

But man... they guy was everything advertised and more. Just completely breathed fresh air into the team. 

I wouldnt be surprised to see a real youth movement in the NFL coaching ranks. A lot of the old guard are still taking old guard approaches to the modern game. While these younger guys were born and raised on the modern game. They played it. They understand it. They see it from a fresher angle. That isnt to say there arent some great older coaches out there. Bill Belichick is still out there basically writing the playbook for the rest of the NFL. But you see a lot of old coaches out there that the game has clearly passed by. But theyre safe choices based on name recognition. 

I am so glad we rolled the dice on McVay. I havent felt this comfortable with a coach in years. 

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

True there were a few options. Cole at least looked good in the off-season. Did you even know who Mickens was before we signed him?

When we signed him i looked him up but outside of the 1 game of actual offensive plays and punt returns hes not done as much. 

When we signed cole i had 0 clue who he was so i put him as a practice squad guy/depth but over the offseason it changed 

Easily Nelson Agholor for me. Dude looked like a bum and someone who didn't belong in the league a year ago and now looks to be a legit 2/3 option going forward in the slot. He will never be worth the first round selection as his ceiling is a solid 2 in the slot, but his ability to play football shocked me this season.

4 hours ago, NJniners said:

Adrian Colbert for the 49ers. UDFA that outplays our first rounder from a few years back (Reid) who was also in the pro bowl a few years back. Between Colbert breaking out this year, Tartt breaking out last year, plus Ward and Reid who are also great, we will have one of the best safety tandems in the league next year.

I think this is the answer. He went from a 7th round pick who seemed unlikely to make the team given that one of his weaknesses was tackling which didn't make him an ideal fit on special teams or really the safety position, giving him nominal value on the active roster, to a guy who looks like a solid free safety with good range and making us question what we do at safety moving forward. 

Honorable mentions go out to Goodwin, who flashed an ability to be something other than a guy who can just run really fast and Matt Breida, who looks like he's going to stick as a solid change of pace back after being undrafted

7 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Easily Nelson Agholor for me. Dude looked like a bum and someone who didn't belong in the league a year ago and now looks to be a legit 2/3 option going forward in the slot. He will never be worth the first round selection as his ceiling is a solid 2 in the slot, but his ability to play football shocked me this season.

I agree. Agholor on offense. Patrick Robinson on defense as well.

19 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Kyle Fuller for the bears, hands down.  This time last year I thought he was a bum, and now I wouldn't be upset if they gave him the franchise tag. 

Glad he turned it around. I wondered what happened to him...as I recall, he had a pretty damn good rookie season, correct?

10 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Jordan Poyer 

Yeah he was a pile of crap in Cleveland. I saw his madden rating a few weeks ago (like a mid 80 rating) and was freaking shocked. I was under the impression that this dude was going to be a backup for you guys. Then I caught 2 Bills games later in the year and he looked worthy of that rating. Kind of crazy he ended up being so good.

Archived