The 2017 Receiving Corp, who's it going to be...?

vike daddy

9 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

We have seen so little production out of Treadwell and Floyd. Does anyone have the snap breakdown? Treadwell has never shown us much while Floyd at least has looked like a good NFL receiver in the past. If the team hasn't already tried giving Floyd more snaps than Treadwell I would be in favor so flipping the snap counts towards Floyd. Jarius Wright has looked better than either of them.

Been looking as receiver success in this offense. Treadwell still has been getting open, but most throws would still be tight window throws.

Getting off the line is huge in this offense. Early release, quick type players are the ones that find success. Treadwell fits in more with the type of receivers like Jeffery, Pryor, Dez, and even Floyd. They need bodied throws and can make those types of plays. One thing that isn't designed for in this type of offense. I don't think either will make a difference on who is playing more.

Treadwell has a place in the NFL, even to be a damn good #2/redzone threat. Hell, he probably would work in an offense if Norv was still running it, but I just don't think he will ever work in this type of offense.

He will still stick next year because having the size on the field still will demand an outside CB with some size on him and does create space for whoever is playing in the slot, but the chances of him ever producing any type of big numbers under Shurmur would only come due to some major injuries to or WR's that create space with off the line burst.

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

TE is a position that MN just hasn't had any real notable players.

50 catches/500 yards/5 Tds seems like a fairly insignificant milestone, one that id think most TEs who start 14+ games with a competent QB could achieve.

It's longevity combined with NFL offenses changing that has helped Rudolph become one of the best all-time Vikings TEs.

That milestone may be insignificant in today's era, but 20 years ago, not so much.

I'm not worried about Treadwell. On plays we go to three or more WRs, he and Jarius essentially split those snaps (Floyd seems to be the 5th guy).

Snap counts since the bye....
at WAS: Treadwell 24, Wright 15, Floyd 2
vs. LAR: Treadwell 16, Floyd 16, Wright 11
at DET: Treadwell 21, Wright 17, Floyd 5
at ATL: Treadwell 20, Wright 13, Floyd 6

8 hours ago, Klomp said:

I'm not worried about Treadwell. On plays we go to three or more WRs, he and Jarius essentially split those snaps (Floyd seems to be the 5th guy).

Snap counts since the bye....
at WAS: Treadwell 24, Wright 15, Floyd 2
vs. LAR: Treadwell 16, Floyd 16, Wright 11
at DET: Treadwell 21, Wright 17, Floyd 5
at ATL: Treadwell 20, Wright 13, Floyd 6

Those snap counts are interesting. Where do you go to find that information?

If it were up to me I would be bumping Wright's snap count higher at the expense of Treadwell's snaps. It must be Treadwell's superior run blocking that is keeping him on the field more than Wright.

Floyd must really not be showing much in practice to still be lagging that far behind in snaps. I'm not impressed with Treadwell as a WR but I am far from questioning a coaching staff that turned an undrafted division 2 kid into the receiver that Theilan has become. They deserve a lot of grace so if they believe that Treadwell is the best option,  I believe them. It's too bad that Floyd apparently has lost anything close to what he had in AZ a few years ago. Maybe he never really had much and his production was inflated by coverages needing to pay lots of attention to Larry Fitzgerald.

26 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

It's nice having Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell and Wright on contracts for 2018. Coley is a nice developmental option who could likely take Floyd's reps in 2018.

Dont see much changing with this group next year. Have to start considering an extension for Diggs.

I'm a huge fan of Diggs, but giving him an extension scares the hell out of me.  Too much of an injury history, going all the way back to high school iirc.

I don't know, tough call I guess, especially with Kendricks and Hunter on the same timeline with their contracts

Michael Floyd: “Looking back on the past year I have experienced both the highest highs and the lowest lows. I would like to thank the Patriots and the Vikings for taking chances on me and for everyone else who has helped me over this past year. A year after making the biggest mistake of my life, I can honestly say, I’m a better person from it all and hope to continue to do and be better.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/12/a-year-after-extreme-dui-arrest-michael-floyd-says-hes-a-better-person/

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Michael Floyd: “Looking back on the past year I have experienced both the highest highs and the lowest lows. I would like to thank the Patriots and the Vikings for taking chances on me and for everyone else who has helped me over this past year. A year after making the biggest mistake of my life, I can honestly say, I’m a better person from it all and hope to continue to do and be better.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/12/a-year-after-extreme-dui-arrest-michael-floyd-says-hes-a-better-person/

That opportunity won't be in MN given the talent already at WR but I hope Floyd can find a team to turn his career around. If the Vikes contributed to improving his character off the field, that has to be a story to feel good about.

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If the Vikes contributed to improving his character off the field, that has to be a story to feel good about.

for all we know, the Vikings' respectful handling and support of Floyd could be the deciding factor in signing some other free agent in the future.

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

for all we know, the Vikings' respectful handling and support of Floyd could be the deciding factor in signing some other free agent in the future.

Not just Floyd, but look at how straightforward and decent the organization tries to treat people.  Take Linval for example.  The team extended his contract when it didn't have to, giving him more money.  He really seemed to appreciate that.  Thus, when other free agents consider the Vikings, it will most definitely weigh into their considerations when they have outplayed their contract and the team will step up and treat them right.

1 minute ago, perrynoid said:

Not just Floyd, but look at how straightforward and decent the organization tries to treat people.  Take Linval for example.  The team extended his contract when it didn't have to, giving him more money.  He really seemed to appreciate that.  Thus, when other free agents consider the Vikings, it will most definitely weigh into their considerations when they have outplayed their contract and the team will step up and treat them right.

Which is why I think Thielen is in for a big pay increase in the next year or two.

Archived