The 2017 Receiving Corp, who's it going to be...?

vike daddy

• 1 month later...

You already know by now the Minnesota Vikings had two of the best wide receivers in the NFL in Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen. But an article by NFL.com using NEXTGEN statistics demonstrates just how impressive the tandem was in 2017. Diggs ranked No. 1 on “tight-window” catches and Thielen ranked eighth. A “tight-window” catch is defined by a receiver having less than one yard of separation from his defender. Writer Matt Harmon ranked the receivers by catch rate on tight-window targets, quarterback’s passer rating when they were targeted in tight windows and yards per catch on tight-window receptions.

Diggs posted the No. 1 catch rate (61.9 percent) and No. 1 passer rating (139.7) on tight-window throws. He was ninth in yards per catch (18.0). Thielen caught 50 percent of tight-window throws for an 81.3 passer rating.

The rest of the list included:

2 – Marvin Jones, Detroit

3 – Dez Bryant, Dallas

4 – Mike Evans, Tampa Bay

5 – Demaryius Thomas, Denver

6 – Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh

7 – Sammy Watkins, Los Angeles

9 – Keelan Cole, Jacksonville

10 – AJ Green, Cincinnati

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/02/vikings-wr-stefon-diggs-ranks-no-1-tight-window-catches/

21 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Diggs ranked No. 1 on “tight-window” catches and Thielen ranked eighth

It was so nice to have a QB with the cajones to throw the ball into a tight window. I was so sick of watching QBs too chicken to throw into single coverage. Call it having a lucky horseshoe if you want. Credit success to the ability of the WRs -- they deserve plenty. The fact is, any QR that is single covered is open if the QB knows how to throw it to them where they can get the ball and the defender cannot. Supreme Captain Checkdown sees these guys as covered and dumps it off. Teddy Bridgewater also rarely saw single covered WRs as open and went with an alternative. A WR cannot make a tight window catch unless the QB is willing to pull the trigger on throwing the pass. It is no coincidence that the Vikings have two WRs in the top ten.

Case Keenum for President; he has big dangly ones

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Hard to criticize a player, while praising another while they played in completely different circumstances.

The circumstances are not as different as you might like to believe. Supreme Captain Checkdown has a long history of ignoring single covered receivers in favor of passes that don't get first downs and ultimately contribute to losing games. He has had plenty opportunities to throw into the singe coverage "tight window" and declined to take those opportunities far more than is good for the team.

Teddy Bridgewater also had opportunities that he passed up. I don't know if it is because these two lack confidence in their abilities to put the ball where only the WR can get it or some other reason. The reason doesn't matter to me. I'll take the QB that is willing to go for it when needed. You don't get Minneapolis Miracles if you don't aim your attempt at the deepest target. Give the receivers a chance to show their skills. Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater too often for my taste didn't give their receivers the chance.  Case Keenum is a gamer. You can't win the battles that you are not willing to even fight. I like Case's choices of battles to fight far more than the choices Sam and Teddy made in their respective situations. 

It is possible that Teddy learned something from watching Case. I would like to think so.

I really dont think Treadwell is as bad as people make him out to be, he just doesnt see the targets due to Diggs/Thielen/Rudy seeing tons of them. He actually was able to get separation this year, and was often open. Obviously he hasnt lived up the the 1st round status, but he has shown the flashes of talent. The first Green Bay game last season was probably his best as a pro, that one handed catch was absolutely insane. I say give him another year and more opportunities. 

A guy i would like MIN to sign this year would be Donte Moncrief, as he could probably be had on a short term prove it deal. He's very talented, just needs to stay healthy. Would be a nice addition to this WR core. I think Michael Floyd is gone, as he didnt really do much in his time here. Another interesting name is Brice Butler, he's an excellent deep threat. 

Also, Cayleb Jones is a threat to make the 53 this year. He's a name to keep an eye on.

I've got no issues with Treadwell and Wright as the third and fourth WR. Wright regularly seems to come up with a big catch. Treadwell isn't there yet but I don't think he needs to be replaced unless the Vikes would like to add more speed. Coley is just fine as a #5.

1 hour ago, Eric dunn said:

I really dont think Treadwell is as bad as people make him out to be, he just doesnt see the targets due to Diggs/Thielen/Rudy seeing tons of them. He actually was able to get separation this year, and was often open. Obviously he hasnt lived up the the 1st round status, but he has shown the flashes of talent. The first Green Bay game last season was probably his best as a pro, that one handed catch was absolutely insane. I say give him another year and more opportunities. 

A guy i would like MIN to sign this year would be Donte Moncrief, as he could probably be had on a short term prove it deal. He's very talented, just needs to stay healthy. Would be a nice addition to this WR core. I think Michael Floyd is gone, as he didnt really do much in his time here. Another interesting name is Brice Butler, he's an excellent deep threat. 

Also, Cayleb Jones is a threat to make the 53 this year. He's a name to keep an eye on.

Butler will be trying to sign somewhere where he can be at least a #2. He already said he wouldn’t go back to the Cowboys because of it.

36 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Treadwell is a lot better than people want to give him credit for. He gets open a lot, it’s just that there aren’t a lot of targets when your QB gets fixated on 1 or 2 receivers. 

Agreed, I think he will take another step next year. He has come a long way from his rookie year. He will still be only 23 at the start of the season

22 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Butler will be trying to sign somewhere where he can be at least a #2. He already said he wouldn’t go back to the Cowboys because of it.

Yeah i saw that on Rotoworld i think. But i mean technically he could be competing for an outside spot with Treadwell in 3 WR sets, as Thielen can be in the slot. I dont think there will be a team just signing him, and giving him the starting job. 

I dont think its likely he comes here, but he's a player i like.

Archived