7 Heaven: Keenum does the miraculous

Klomp

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Just curious....did Brees play great? Or good enough that you'd be comfortable with him as your QB? Both QBs finished 25-40, and Keenum had more passing yards. Brees threw two more TDs, but also had an extra interception.

Brees had a GREAT 2nd half. Not very good first half.

While I agree, stats were similar, we are also the #1 defense in the NFL.

I'm not saying I don't want to go forward with Keenum, I said I would be fine with it.
Keenum, this game, for sure left a bunch on the field. But at the end when we needed him he came up clutch.

3 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Just curious....did Brees play great? Or good enough that you'd be comfortable with him as your QB? Both QBs finished 25-40, and Keenum had more passing yards. Brees threw two more TDs, but also had an extra interception.

Brees played better, IMO, because of the placement of his passes. One of his INTs was pure luck on our part, Griffen getting a hand on the ball without looking. But his passes, especially the clutch ones, were pin perfect. Even the other INT was more of a great play by Sendejo than bad pass/decision by Brees. 

Keenum, let’s be honest, got bailed out by some ridiculous catches from Thielen, Wright, and Diggs. Credit to Keenum for giving his guys a chance, but they weren’t great throws. Especially the ones where he floated them off of his back foot. Keenum’s INT was a brutal decision.

Yeah, who could be down on Keenum after 12 years of passing for over 4,000 yards. And the second half of the game, Keenum's second half was lights out too. Brees' second half was lights out, something Keenum has never done. Keenum has been exactly enough what we need this year. But to think that we're going to get this exact same Keenum next year. And it isn't like yesterdays performance was that great.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Brees had a GREAT 2nd half. Not very good first half.

While I agree, stats were similar, we are also the #1 defense in the NFL.

I'm not saying I don't want to go forward with Keenum, I said I would be fine with it.
Keenum, this game, for sure left a bunch on the field. But at the end when we needed him he came up clutch.

The late game Int by Keenum was not clutch, that was a crucial moment where MN desperately needed to take back the momentum. 

Keenum certainly made up for it in the end, but he should have protected the ball in that situation. Might have avoided all the late game drama. 

I feel like Keenum doesn't get the same respect as other QBs in terms of things like "getting bailed out." Sometimes, the right move as a QB is to put your receiver in a position to make a play. That's what he does. If that throw to Diggs was "more accurate," we maybe don't win the game. 

Keenum is just a wildman. Like @vikingsrule said, that INT was a very bad decision. Even that pass to Diggs, across the body is something he shouldn't make, especially with his minimal arm strength.

The struggle with Keenum is his lofted balls, and it is pretty frequent.
It has been working, getting his players a chance to catch the ball, but when trying to hit tight windows it will always be something that won't work well for him.

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

I feel like Keenum doesn't get the same respect as other QBs in terms of things like "getting bailed out." Sometimes, the right move as a QB is to put your receiver in a position to make a play. That's what he does. If that throw to Diggs was "more accurate," we maybe don't win the game. 

Maybe not yesterday, but throughout the year we saw a lot of contested catches that the receivers came up with for Keenum. And while you can say he put his receivers in a spot to make a play, a lot of times a better throw would have likely resulted in a better play. 

I think it’s also because Keenum doesn’t have the history of some other QBs of making the plays vs. getting bailed out. We’ve all seen Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc. throw a jump ball and get bailed out. But we’ve also seen them, time and time again, put passes in the perfect spot to make a play. They get the benefit of the doubt. 

Like @disaacs has said, Keenum is Favre-lite. And I’m not sure that type of play is sustainable enough to be reliable for next year or beyond. 

It’s been a great ride, and one we all hope takes us through the Super Bowl with a win. 

But once this season is over, I think you need to remove emotion from the equation, and truly analyze what’s best for the team moving forward. 

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Like @disaacs has said, Keenum is Favre-lite. And I’m not sure that type of play is sustainable enough to be reliable for next year or beyond. 

It’s been a great ride, and one we all hope takes us through the Super Bowl with a win. 

But once this season is over, I think you need to remove emotion from the equation, and truly analyze what’s best for the team moving forward. 

That's pretty easy. The team only has one QB that consistently puts the receivers in a position to make plays. The alternative is going with an unknown that has very low odds of being better at it than Keenum. The teams decision at this point is likely between keeping Keenum with the franchise tag or signing him to something longer. That decision will likely be made based upon the structure/value Keenum wants on a longer deal.

1 minute ago, Klomp said:

I see about a 1% chance Keenum is not our starting QB next year, at this point.

And if that play to Diggs doesn’t happen? Did that one play and all of the emotion move the needle that much?

To be clear, I don’t really care. It’s out of my control and I’ll support the decision, who ever it is. But I don’t like making decisions based on emotion, and I can’t help but feel that this is exactly that. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

And if that play to Diggs doesn’t happen? Did that one play and all of the emotion move the needle that much?

To be clear, I don’t really care. It’s out of my control and I’ll support the decision, who ever it is. But I don’t like making decisions based on emotion, and I can’t help but feel that this is exactly that. 

1. It's not that play, it's the fact we won the game on his arm. Everyone's biggest reason for not committing to Keenum has been that they didn't believe he could bring us back from a deficit late in a game. Well he did, and now we're going to try to qualify it more by saying the decision is based on emotion?

2. The Shurmur to NYG steam changes things as well. That's not really a place I ever saw Keenum following Shurmur to, and I always thought his best chance of leaving was if he went somewhere with Shurmur.

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Getting that ball to Diggs was huge. But he also brought the team back another time under two minutes in that game and got them in position for the go ahead FG. And there is the rest of the year too. It is mostly based on the rest of the year. He just showed that he can handle the pressure. That is the cherry on top.

Archived