Maxmw22's 2nd Mock Offseason

Maxmw22

2018 Mock Offseason

Cuts 

QB Tyrod Taylor – Taylor is due $18 mil next year, I believe the Bills think that is too much, so rather than renegotiate again, I believe they finally cut ties. The Bills will be on the hook for about $8mil worth of signing bonus left, but save $9.5 mil. (cap savings $9.5 mil)

OLB/DE Jerry Hughes (post june 1st). Cutting Hughes after June 1st sends half of his dead money ($5.8 mil) to the 2019 cap. The Bills have disappointed along the DL all year, with Hughes being the highest paid, this makes him the closest out the door. (Cap Savings $7.5 mil)

Trade

OT Cordy Glenn to Chicago Bears for a 4th rd pick.

-We eat the signing bonus for Cordy, but ultimately save $5 mil in cap, while the Bears get Glenn for roughly 3 years $30 mil.

Cap Room Before Cuts/Trades - $32mil

Cap Room After Cuts/Trades - $54 mil

Re-Sign

CB E.J. Gaines, 3 years, $27 mil– A reputable site has his market value at $9 mil a year comparable to such CB’s like Prince Amukamara and Dre Kirkpatrick. Both Gaines and White will make a nice starting duo (structured 8, 9, 10mil)

DT Kyle Williams, 2 Years, $12 mil – Player option for the 2nd year in case he wants to retire. (structured 5.5, 6.5mil)

WR Deonte Thompson 3 years $6.5mil – Thompson has been taken targets from Matthews and could be the speed guy to take the top off for Buffalo allowing Zay Jones to play more in the slot. He should also come relatively cheap (structured 2, 2, 2.5mil)

CB Leonard Johnson, 1 year $1 mil- consistency at depth for our defensive backfield

SS Shamarko Thomas, 1 year $1mil – non-guaranteed, just depth

Cap Room Before resign: $54 mil

Cap Room after resign: $36.5 mil

Free Agents

DT Star Lotulelei, 5 years $52 mil – This will be our big UFA signing, fits McDermott’s pattern of signing former Panther players, and hopefully this will help our atrocious DL (Structured 9, 10, 10, 11, 12)

LB Navorro Bowman, 2 years $9.5 mil – He will at least be a short-term starter at MLB,  (Structured 4, 4.5)

RB Damien Williams, 3 years 7.5 mil – 2nd string RB who provides a pass threat when Shady is off the field. (Structured 2, 2.5, 3.0)

QB Chase Daniel, 2 years $3.5 mil – Chase get an opportunity to start if the rookie QB is not quite ready for opening day. (Structured 1.5, 2.0)

DE Marcus Smith, 1 year 1.5 mil – One year deal to be a rotational DE

FS Rafael Bush, 1 year $1.5 mil – Veteran FS depth

Cap Before Free Agency $36.5 mil

Cap After Free Agency $17 mil

Draft Picks:

1st QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville

1st (KC) – DE Sam Hubbard, Ohio State

2nd TE Troy Fumagalli, Wisconsin

2nd (LAR) – DT Maurice Hurst, Michigan

3rd (Phil) – MLB Darius Leonard, South Carolina State

4th (Chi) – RB Bo Scarborough, Alabama

4th – OT Tyrell Crosby, Oregon

5th WR Jake Wieneke, South Dakota St.

6th (Jax) – CB Derrick Baity, Kentucky

Green = Rookies

Blue = Free Agents

Roster

QB:  Lamar Jackson, Chase Daniel, Nathan Peterman

RB: Lesean McCoy, Damien Williams, Bo Scarborough

FB: Patrick DiMarco

WR: Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Deonte Thompson, Jake Wieneke, Andre Holmes

TE: Charles Clay, Troy Fumagalli, Khari Lee,

OT: Dion Dawkins, Tyrell Crosby, Jordan Mills,

OG: Richie Incognito, Vladimir Ducasse, John Miller,

C: Eric Wood, Ryan Groy

DE: Shaq Lawson, Sam Hubbard, Marcus Smith, Ryan Davis

DT:  Star Lotulelei, Kyle Williams, Maurice Hurst, Adolphus Washington,

OLB: Lorenzo Alexander, Matt Milano, Tanner Vallejo,

MLB:  Navorro Bowman, Darius Leonard

CB: Tre'Davious White, E.J. Gaines, Derrick Baity, Leonard Johnson

FS: Jordan Poyer, Rafael Bush

SS: Michah Hyde, Shamarko Thomas

LS: Reid Ferguson

K: Steven Hauschka

P: Colton Schmidt

PS WR Brandon Reilly, OLB Nordly Capi, OLB Deon Lacy, TE Keith Towbridge, OT Conor McDermot

Not so sure about Lamar Jackson... Even Daboll admitted he had another coach be responsible for all the RPOs for Jalen Hurts. Not sure if he fits what Daboll will want to do.

Ducasse as well. We will be switching to power scheme rather than zone.

We would have to trade up considerably to get Lamar, he is currently though of as going top 10 and besides that, I would not want to go into next season, without somebody drafted with the potential to be a #1 WR.

I really do not like the Glenn trade, sometimes, you just have to hope a players recovers from injuries and returns to form!!!

I would be drafting more offense especially OLmen and Scarborough likely goes round 3!!!

Remember, Buffalo rarely spends up to its cap $$$'s, and retaining 20+ million is the norm!!!

A lot of mocks seem to be very similar... cutting Hughes... signing Star from Carolina... trading Cordy Glenn. All moves that make sense. I hope the Star signing happens. 

I like the draft. I don't mind Lamar Jackson, and I think that's the range he should go, but I think he'll end up going a bit higher. It's a tough call at this point, hopefully the combine and draft process sorts the QBs out a bit more. Like the idea of taking a TE, and specifically the one you took, but it feels like a luxury selection if we're keeping Clay. I'd rather spend that pick on a better LBer (i.e. Jerome Baker maybe). Hubbard and Hurst would be a great get, both a solid plug-in starters. Don't love the Bo selection, I think there's plenty of better backs out there with less question marks around them.

Overall, I wouldn't be upset with this offseason. We'd have a lot of excitement around Lamar and a solid defensive line with good depth.

5 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

We would have to trade up considerably to get Lamar, he is currently though of as going top 10 and besides that, I would not want to go into next season, without somebody drafted with the potential to be a #1 WR.

I really do not like the Glenn trade, sometimes, you just have to hope a players recovers from injuries and returns to form!!!

I would be drafting more offense especially OLmen and Scarborough likely goes round 3!!!

Remember, Buffalo rarely spends up to its cap $$$'s, and retaining 20+ million is the norm!!!

We don't have cheap owners, they'll spend money.. 

Scarborough is also not a very healthy back and comes with some question marks. He was outperformed by other players this year, I don't see him going that high. This is one of the deepest RB draft classes in years.

I like a couple of the draft picks choices, I would be surprised if they signed Lotulelei, as I think they can get serviceable production from that position elsewhere. Remember, nobody rotates their DT's more than McDermott, which is why I see them investing early in the draft at that position. That's not to say they wouldn't sign a couple of nice rotational players at that spot, but I don't think you should expect them to break the bank. Brandon Beane has repeated that he wants his star players to be young at prime positions, and this somewhat defeats that purpose.

I don't think its necessary to resign Deonte Thompson, but can understand why some fans want him back. He produced when targeted.

Regardless of who the Bills draft at QB this year, well, unless they shock us all and go up and get Josh Rosen, I expect to see a veteran this year play smart football at the quarterback position (CC: Alex Smith) and rely on their run game and strong defense while they develop their rookie guy. 

I don't hate the offseason.  I love that we get Star but I have a huge crush on Hurst and I say there is NO WAY he last until the 2nd round he's a first rounder.  But that being said I'd take him in the 1st then.  Lamar I don't know about I wouldn't hate the pick but I'd much rather have Mayfield if we our going to draft a QB.  I also like Rudolph but only if we can get a QB to teach him like a Alex Smith?  Lamar I think could start right away that's why I wouldn't hate it.  Again another mock that the Bills don't sign Matthews I think we could get him for cheap and he played injured all season.  I really appreciate you doing a mock I love these things I just think we could have a better offseason IMO.  

8 hours ago, Buffalo Fan said:

I don't hate the offseason.  I love that we get Star but I have a huge crush on Hurst and I say there is NO WAY he last until the 2nd round he's a first rounder.  But that being said I'd take him in the 1st then.  Lamar I don't know about I wouldn't hate the pick but I'd much rather have Mayfield if we our going to draft a QB.  I also like Rudolph but only if we can get a QB to teach him like a Alex Smith?  Lamar I think could start right away that's why I wouldn't hate it.  Again another mock that the Bills don't sign Matthews I think we could get him for cheap and he played injured all season.  I really appreciate you doing a mock I love these things I just think we could have a better offseason IMO.  

This was my thought exactly.I think something very negative would have to come out to cause Hurst to drop out of the 1st. I also wouldn't be upset if we used one of our 1st rounders on him.

I also think we have too much money invested at the TE position to justify a 2nd round pick. If we could trade away Clay, sure, but not with him on the team. I also think that O'Leary could continue to get more and more snaps. It seemed to me he was on the field for the same or more time than Clay this past season.

Really solid draft. I'm not that high on Lamar Jackson but its outrageous that the national media is even mentioning him switching positions. I think he could be a good NFL QB but it might take a few years of development. I'd be fine with the Bills taking him but I'd hope we have a better back up plan than Chase Daniel.

Hubbard is a guy I like because you know what you're going to get from him. Pretty low risk low reward but with our defensive line at the level its at right now I'd be super happy about the pick.

I agree that Hurst is a second round talent but I think he will go round one especially now that the Clemson defensive line is all going back to school for another year.

Archived