Titans Head Coaching Search 2018

KingTitan

Not sure how LaFleur could honestly be anybody's top choice right now. Before today, how many people have honestly even known who he was? He has an impressive resume but I'd wait to hear how his interviews go before jumping up the list. 

Honestly the same goes with Wilks for me, he's been a DC for a year - and took over one of the league's best and most consistent units at that. Not that either of these guys or any less experienced guys won't be a great fit, just need to temper expectations I think. I prefer one of these up and comers, but would like to know more about them before jumping behind any of them. 

6 minutes ago, VY said:

Not sure how LaFleur could honestly be anybody's top choice right now. Before today, how many people have honestly even known who he was? He has an impressive resume but I'd wait to hear how his interviews go before jumping up the list. 

Honestly the same goes with Wilks for me, he's been a DC for a year - and took over one of the league's best and most consistent units at that. Not that either of these guys or any less experienced guys won't be a great fit, just need to temper expectations I think. I prefer one of these up and comers, but would like to know more about them before jumping behind any of them. 

To be fair to Wilks, he's been a fairly known commodity across the league for a while. The Panthers promoted him to assistant head coach in 2014 as a means to prevent him from taking a DC job elsewhere. 

As for LaFleur, no idea. I like the idea of taking someone from the Shanahan/McVay tree, but yeah, I can't pretend to know if he's ready to be a head coach.

8 minutes ago, VY said:

I knew...but I'm a nerd for this type stuff...lol

With that said, I wasn't looking at him as a HC because I'm giving much of the credit for the offense to McVay. 

4 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

if lebeau’s name wasn’t lebeau, i’d hazard a guess there would be far fewer people here ok with keeping him on. veteran coach or not, he hasn’t exactly done a bang-up job here.

I don't know, I think he's done a reasonable job with what he's been given. If we'd invested a ton of resources into that side of the ball and they were playing at this level, yeah, blame the coach. But if you ignore one side of the ball for four or five years, you can't get too upset when it's pretty much league average.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I don't know, I think he's done a reasonable job with what he's been given. If we'd invested a ton of resources into that side of the ball and they were playing at this level, yeah, blame the coach. But if you ignore one side of the ball for four or five years, you can't get too upset when it's pretty much league average.

Think about how many players we had last year on Defense STARTING that are not on other teams....out the league. 
I went back and watched the Green Bay game from last year (just thought I'd send myself to sleep with some resemblance of an offense) and looked at the players we had starting on defense that were no longer on the team that we had starting.

1. Valentino Blake
  2. Rashad Johnson
  3. Jason McCourty
  4. Sean Spence
  5. Brice McCain
  6. DaNorris Searcy
  7. Damion Stafford
  8. David Bass
  9. Al Woods

All these guys either started or played MAJOR snaps for us on defense. Not all are terrible, but none are worthy of being significant starters anymore. (maybe McCourty). I'm not sure there is a DC alive that could overcome having McCain and Valentino Blake starting at CB for you and having them "protected" by Stafford and Searcy roaming at Safety.

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

DeFilippo would be an interesting hire.

What I love the most about these DeFilippo videos is that they show how much of a teacher he really is. I think that would be huge for the development of our young players on offense.  I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a HC interview or OC. Definitely think he's going to be a great hire for someone.

8 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

What I love the most about these DeFilippo videos is that they show how much of a teacher he really is. I think that would be huge for the development of our young players on offense.  I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a HC interview or OC. Definitely think he's going to be a great hire for someone.

Not saying our former staff didn't know offense like this or have offensive sessions like this, but those are some sweet play designs and reasoning for the QB progression. 

18 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

Bears fan here. A lot of us across the Interwebs were really excited about DeFillippo. If you visit some of the Bears boards, folks were rabidly all-in on the guy. With that said, here is some "inside scoop" on DeFillippo's interview

From DaBears Blog:
"John DeFilippo’s interview was underwhelming. And that’s being kind. The Bears found him to be green and, beyond that, doubted his ability to build a competitive staff. When Peter Schrager reported that Flip was willing to keep Fangio, some believe it was a response to Flip knowing he’d done poorly when pushed on those questions."

Link here: http://dabearsblog.com/page/2

Take that for what its worth but its something to consider as you think about Flip as a HC candidate.

3 minutes ago, IotaNet said:

Bears fan here. A lot of us across the Interwebs were really excited about DeFillippo. If you visit some of the Bears boards, folks were rabidly all-in on the guy. With that said, here is some "inside scoop" on DeFillippo's interview

From DaBears Blog:
"John DeFilippo’s interview was underwhelming. And that’s being kind. The Bears found him to be green and, beyond that, doubted his ability to build a competitive staff. When Peter Schrager reported that Flip was willing to keep Fangio, some believe it was a response to Flip knowing he’d done poorly when pushed on those questions."

Take that for what its worth but its something to consider as you think about Flip as a HC candidate.

Good info...
I'm not really on him as an HC, but as an OC, if that. To me, he screams an assistant that has had some success but wouldn't exactly translate into a good HC. Being "green"  is a vibe I get some from him. Kind of he don't know what the don't know....

11 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Good info...
I'm not really on him as an HC, but as an OC, if that. To me, he screams an assistant that has had some success but wouldn't exactly translate into a good HC. Being "green"  is a vibe I get some from him. Kind of he don't know what the don't know....

I don't mind the idea of landing a good football mind at OC that interviews poorly. If he hits, the interviews might buy us an extra year or two that we otherwise wouldn't get.

Also, look at me. Being positive. What a difference 24 hours can make.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IotaNet said:

From DaBears Blog:

Thanks for that. Very interesting. It just shows that there is a ton of risk there with these younger unproven coaches, but at the same time I think you're doing your team a disservice by not at least bringing these young coaches in for interviews to see what they're all about. So, I commend you guys for at least bringing him in to leave no stone unturned.  As a team that has played it safe in several coaching searches over the years, I'm excited that we're at least bringing in these young guys for a look.  If they blow you away ala McVay with the Rams you hire them, if not at least you know where you stand with them.

Just now, SerenityNow said:

Thanks for that. Very interesting. It just shows that there is a ton of risk there with these younger unproven coaches, but at the same time I think you're doing your team a disservice by not at least bringing these young coaches in for interviews to see what they're all about. So, I commend you guys for at least bringing him in to leave no stone unturned.  As a team that has played it safe in several coaching searches over the years, I'm excited that we're at least bringing in these young guys for a look.  If they blow you away ala McVay with the Rams you hire them, if not at least you know where you stand with them.

I think that is a good reason to bring in LaFleur. If he blows you away and is prepared...then..cool. But if is just able to talk X's and O's and has no real clue of a staff, then it's an no thanks.

• Like 1