what are we learning from the playoffs?

mar29020

All great comments I don’t believe it’s the offense, the defense, the draft vs free agency approach, injuries, etc...

its the approach and expectations- the culture- of those 4 Head coaches. All four are hard nosed, no nonsense, practice in pads and practice hard, no nipple twisting or playing around. This is my major problem with Gruden. I’ve said it since his first training camp. He’s a push over, a guy who doesn’t command respect, a guy who doesn’t demand and get the best from his players and his teams are under prepared, under conditioned and don’t have enough fear- fear of failure means nothing here whereas the other 4 will trade or cut you in a heartbeat . But hey jay is likable and a company man

Doc’s rules of life and business: Happy employees don’t make for productive employees. Rather highly productive employees are happier employees. And a head coach has to have very high expectations, very high standards for conditioning and preparedness, very high standards for performance both on the off the field. And a relentless passion for demanding excellence. This is not Jay- he’s skated through life on his name and connections equivalent to being born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Give me a self made man every day to lead my team and I’ll yank that silver spoon out of his mouth and it will be  inserted in a more appropriate orafice 

31 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

All great comments I don’t believe it’s the offense, the defense, the draft vs free agency approach, injuries, etc...

its the approach and expectations- the culture- of those 4 Head coaches. All four are hard nosed, no nonsense, practice in pads and practice hard, no nipple twisting or playing around. This is my major problem with Gruden. I’ve said it since his first training camp. He’s a push over, a guy who doesn’t command respect, a guy who doesn’t demand and get the best from his players and his teams are under prepared, under conditioned and don’t have enough fear- fear of failure means nothing here whereas the other 4 will trade or cut you in a heartbeat . But hey jay is likable and a company man

Doc’s rules of life and business: Happy employees don’t make for productive employees. Rather highly productive employees are happier employees. And a head coach has to have very high expectations, very high standards for conditioning and preparedness, very high standards for performance both on the off the field. And a relentless passion for demanding excellence. This is not Jay- he’s skated through life on his name and connections equivalent to being born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Give me a self made man every day to lead my team and I’ll yank that silver spoon out of his mouth and it will be  inserted in a more appropriate orafice 

The CBA precludes most of what you wrote. It’s not that Gruden doesn’t want to hit more, it’s that the CBA protects the player from getting hit more in practice.

Every one of these teams practices indoors when it rains outside or is too hot or cold. The Vikings certainly do and the others have indoor facilities as well.

Jay is definitely a players coach, but you only see how he’s like in then public eye aka at a training camp “practice” which is open to the media and fans. You do NOT see practice during the week - the media doesn’t even see most of it - you’ve never heard him address the team at half time or after games.

Remember the yelling that was taking place from him a during the 2016 season after the game?

He was ripping the team a new one, all the media could hear it from well outside the lockeroom. I’m sure that happens more than any of us will ever know.

I personally think he’s more like his older brother Jon when he deals with the team in private but Jay puts on a Happy go lucky press conference so gullible people get duped not thinking he’s soft all of the time.

Have you read this Turtle?

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/nfl/2017/08/16/jacksonville-jaguars-physical-practice-camp-nfl

also a number of stories from new free agents and other returning jags players referencing the toughest training camp ever

sure there are rules, but we seem to take the easy way out instead of how teams like the Pats, Jags, Vikings coaches( who are also following the rules), but practice, conditioning and prepare much harder. The Vikings hit and tackle without pads in practice where we play one hand touch. They run and run and run and we smile, laugh, jog and coast. 

I’ve watched a number of our camps and many others and ours are by far the easiest and lower key with lots of wasted time. 

Watching us practice with the Pats was night vs day in approaches and expectations. 

Talent is important but it’s like an oil well or a hot girl- you gotta work it hard to tap it to its potential 

46 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Have you read this Turtle?

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/nfl/2017/08/16/jacksonville-jaguars-physical-practice-camp-nfl

also a number of stories from new free agents and other returning jags players referencing the toughest training camp ever

sure there are rules, but we seem to take the easy way out instead of how teams like the Pats, Jags, Vikings coaches( who are also following the rules), but practice, conditioning and prepare much harder. The Vikings hit and tackle without pads in practice where we play one hand touch. They run and run and run and we smile, laugh, jog and coast. 

I’ve watched a number of our camps and many others and ours are by far the easiest and lower key with lots of wasted time. 

Watching us practice with the Pats was night vs day in approaches and expectations. 

Talent is important but it’s like an oil well or a hot girl- you gotta work it hard to tap it to its potential 

Do more Up downs at the end of practice... got it! If we just did those and more one on one drills with blocking/hitting we wouldn’t have our entire starting OL get hurt, our 3 best DL, our starting ILBs, our starting RB, our top RB, starting TE, #1 corner, our rookie and best cover safety and Doctson, Crowder and SWearinger wouldn’t have battled hamstring injuries in training camp and the first month of the season.

You should email Gruden 

The truth is the 4 teams playing this weekend had most of their top players stay healthy. For the Vikings and Jags  their defense - their strong suit - stayed healthy. The eagles did lose Wentz - after they had already clinched a playoff birth - Jason Peters and their top LB  but the rest of their starters on offense and defense stayed healthy. The Pats have Tom Brady, we don’t!

If our OL, Reed and especially our defense had stayed mostly healthy like the remaining 4 teams did we would have been a 9 win team. Maybe better.

Those teams didn’t lose their equivalents to Allen, Nicholson and Taylor, have Brown playing injured most of the year and have key pieces like Norman and Ioannidis miss a month.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

In that whole 10 minutes they get to address the team? Sure. This is so overblown. 

No. 

We've seen it time and again. 

See, the coaches and coordinators are working on the adjustments throughout the game. It's halftime where they break down for the players

11 minutes ago, Slateman said:

No. 

We've seen it time and again. 

See, the coaches and coordinators are working on the adjustments throughout the game. It's halftime where they break down for the players

That’s not true, it’s a media and fan created talking point. During the game the OC, DC, qb coach and position coaches go over the former plays on the Microsoft surface with their players. Former players say that most of the players go to the bathroom and eat something small at halftime. They get a speech from the Hc but there’s not time to go over a whole lot of adjustments. Gibbs usually made adjustments after a series and go talk to the players right then, not a halftime. I’ve seen our currebt coaches do the some.

Archived