Leisher's 2018 mock #6

jleisher

Ok guys. home with the flu, so time to mock it up.  Using Drafttek.com full 7 round mock draft for position selections and waltersfootball for scouting 411.  If you don't like what rounds the player goes in, to bad, let Drafttek.com hear about.  

Cap:  (Rounding off) $23,000,00 + 12,000,000 rolled over = $35,000,000 + 10,000,000 increase of cap for 2018.  Leaving them at $45,000,000.  

Restructures:  CMJ, Cobb and Nelson.  Save $12,000,000 (est.) with extensions. (Not a cap guru, so Mr. Ball will handle the details.)  Cap is at $57,000.000.

Released:  Bulaga, Rollins, Goodson, Hundley.  Save $9,000,000 (est.)  Cap is now at $66,000,000.

Pre Draft Free Agent signings:  (Big Splash FA) #1. Sheldon Richardson DL Seahawks 4yrs/$24mill, cap hit $6 mill.  #2.  Austin Seferian-Jenkins TE Jets 3yrs/12mill, cap hit $4 mill  #3  Morgan Burnett S Packers 3yrs/24mill, cap hit $7 mill, back loaded.  #4.  Ryan Fitzpatrick QB Bucs 2yrs/$9 mill, cap hit $4mill.  #5.  Alex Boone G Cardinals 2yrs/$6mill, cap hit $3 mill. #6.  Devon House CB Packers 2yrs/$7mill, cap hit $3 mill.  #7.  Richard Rodgers TE Packers 2yrs/$4mill, cap hit $2 mill.  Total is Free Agent spending $30,000,000.  Cap is at $36,000,000.  

Already signed:  Adams $16,000,000 and Lindsley $8,500,000 total of $24,500,000.  Cap is at $11,500,000 (Again, not a cap guru, so deal with it.)

#14)  Derwin James S/RS/WLB  Florida St.  I know, I know, I know!!!  We don't need a S, value my friend, value.  On this draft they have him at #17.  We add a top three player at #14.  Size, Speed, Physicality and versatility.  This will give us Ha Ha, Jones and James in 2019.  Burnett could be released in 2019.  Depth and stud player.  I know, we need a start at #14.  Really, the only player that could possible be a starter at day one is the G from Notre Dame Nelson, he's gone at #10.

#45)  Packers see a player dropping that they thought for sure would be gone, trade up with Bills.  #22 for #45, 3rd Comp and 2 5th rd Comps.

#22)  Roquan Smith ILB Georgia.  Again, I know, I know, I know!!!!  ILB isn't a need, we can move CMJ inside.  Even if so, CMJ, Ryan and Martinez can't cover worth sh_t!!!  This mock has him at #40.  Stud player, smart, strong against the run and pass coverage.  Flies around the field to make plays.  Oh yeah, 6.5 sacks last years as well.  That doesn't help the pass rush.

#76)  Jaylon Ferguson Edge LA Tech.  Had a down year, double teamed a lot.  Upside Edge rusher.

#110)  Equanimous St. Brown WR  Notre Dame.  He just screams Packer.  Super polished route runner, tremendous speed, athletic ability, body control and good hands.

#141)  Andre Dillard T  Washington St.  Size, quickness with athletic ability.  LT potential, but RT and G swing.  Solid depth pick.

Comp)  Nik Needham CB  UTEP.  Good hands and ball skills.  Outstanding technician, beats up WR at the line of scrimmage.

#172)  Desmond Harrison T W. Georgia.  1st or 2nd rd talent at this spot?  Hell yeah, I am taking a chance.  NFL size, quickness, athleticism with length.

Comp)  Trace McSorley QB  Penn ST.  Good college QB.  Development player.

I don't care for this draft at all.  I think we need a substantially bigger investment into both CB and OLB than what you are giving us in this draft.  I don't believe we can afford to draft luxury picks with our first 2 choices like this given the substantial holes we have on both sides of the ball. 

3 hours ago, SSG said:

I don't care for this draft at all.  I think we need a substantially bigger investment into both CB and OLB than what you are giving us in this draft.  I don't believe we can afford to draft luxury picks with our first 2 choices like this given the substantial holes we have on both sides of the ball. 

Fair enough.  I really don't think we can count on any player coming right in and starting or being highly effective, is it totally out of the question?  No!  You could be 100% correct.  I think both players could come in and make a difference with our defense.  With the way Drafttek.com did their draft, to me it's hard to pass up these two players.  Thanks for your input!

Why are you so obsessed with Sheldon Richardson?  What about his game or even his personality make him so desirable?

Boone is a guard that I wouldn't have a problem with.  Mostly because he's proof that you don't need to invest a lot to get a good return out of the guard position. 

16 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Why are you so obsessed with Sheldon Richardson?  What about his game or even his personality make him so desirable?

Boone is a guard that I wouldn't have a problem with.  Mostly because he's proof that you don't need to invest a lot to get a good return out of the guard position. 

Richardson, if you can get her m for that looks like a bargain 

18 minutes ago, Hands said:

Wouldn't shock me if James is the Packer's pick. Smith will probably go to Miami before the Packers, if not he would be the Packer's 1st pick. 

This would obviously be dependent on Burnett not being retained right? 

I can't see us going safety this early unless neither HHCD or MB aren't in our long term plans.  Right now safety is easily our best and deepest position group.  With a huge investment into Jones last year I can't see them turning around and making it our biggest draft investment this year when the holes we currently have are many and glaring. 

My thoughts;

I wouldn't mind that offseason. My thoughts;

FA- I don't see us being that active. From listening to Gute interviews, he seems like a mini TT ("build from back for the roster/within_") In addition, TT is still in the building. I could definitely see us make a mini splash, like how Marty B was last year, on a guy who is perceived as a plus athlete with red flags (in the Peppers/Woodson mold), so Richardson does fit the bill (or like a Sammy Watkins). 

The draft;

-I wouldn't mind Derwin if he fell. You can never have enough quality DBs in a nickle league.

-I do think we do a trade up this year into the late first (just a hunch). We have a lot of draft capital and really need impact guys (pass rush) over depth (I mean we have 4 capable DL, 2 capable ILB, Pery/Matthews are solid not special, a lot of high picks on D). People wanted us to trade down and fill the new 3-4 scheme in 2009, but we ended up staying at 9, getting Raji, and trading up for Clay (impact building blocks). It might not be Smith, but I like the idea (

You managed to get some good players, especially like Smith, but would be shocked if he falls to 22. You aren't going to touch Richardson in free agency for 6 million a year. He's going to get near 10. You never addressed the EDGE rusher in a meaningful way as that is our biggest need. You never addressed CB in a meaningful way through free agency or draft our second biggest need. Jenkins signed as a free agent TE might be the worst one for me. I'd perfer a TE in round 3. Either the kid from Wisconsin or Penn State.

Finally, you are correct in your stating you are not a cap guru because I believe you overestimated our cap space by about 12 million or so dollars. 

I appreciate the time you put into this but obviously have some different opinions, however; getting good players, which you clearly did with the first two picks, is never going to hurt you. 

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:08 PM, MantyWrestler said:

Think McSorley stayed in school. 

Not big on the draft but free agency would be nice. I mean, I like the guys you picked but we re-signed Burnett, we have Jones then draft James AND Smith. We have those positions pretty filled and leave weak positions unanswered. 

Thought he was a senior?

23 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Sheldon Richardson is only 27 y/o, true the past two years have been down ones for him, but I would take a chance that he could produce like he did his first 3 years in New York.  If he does, then we add another pass rush option.  That's all.  Oh, he can also play in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme, so if the Packers want to show different schemes, he would fit.  IMO, signing Richardson is just as possible or realistic as signing Jimmy Graham.  I would rather sign a 27 y/o that could help pressure the QB, then a 30 or 31y/o TE that has lost a step.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Really hate the draft. Safety and ILB in the first round is gross.

I don't know what to think of James tbh. I think a lot of old school guys are going to love him. What you feel about him comes down to how you grade those eyes and what the doctors say.

What is there to hate?  A top 3 defensive player in the draft, falls to you at #14?  Then a ILB that kicks *** all across the field and can cover RB's and TE's and offers something to the pass rush.  Wait, your right, I hate that as well.  Nah!

Archived