Leisher's 2018 mock #6

jleisher

Just now, jleisher said:

IMO, signing Richardson is just as possible or realistic as signing Jimmy Graham.  I would rather sign a 27 y/o that could help pressure the QB, then a 30 or 31y/o TE that has lost a step.

It's about 1/100th as possible as signing Graham.  Packers aren't touching another free agent with so much as a personality quirk after what just happened with Bennett, and Richardson is twice as bad as Bennett was.  And it's not a would you rather scenario.  There's no, "Packers are doing this or that..."

Packers won't sign Richardson.  I hate to guarantee things like this because I know people like to hope for certain things, but I guarantee the Packers aren't signing Richardson. 

13 minutes ago, jleisher said:

What is there to hate?  A top 3 defensive player in the draft, falls to you at #14?  Then a ILB that kicks *** all across the field and can cover RB's and TE's and offers something to the pass rush.  Wait, your right, I hate that as well.  Nah!

You've got HHCD, Burnett, Jones, Brice, James, Evans, Martinez, Ryan, and Smith. 

You're going to be playing 4 of those guys at any time. Best case scenario you're starting HHCD, James, Martinez, Smith. 

It seems crazy to me to spend those resources to have a bench of Morgan Burnett, Marwin Evans, Kentrell Brice, Josh Jones, and Jake Ryan. 

On 1/16/2018 at 1:45 PM, jleisher said:

Cap:  (Rounding off) $23,000,00 + 12,000,000 rolled over = $35,000,000 + 10,000,000 increase of cap for 2018.  Leaving them at $45,000,000.

Where are you getting these cap numbers from?

Both Over the cap and Spotrac have GB at around $21M or $22M in cap space for 2018.  That includes the rollover from 2017 and I think the estimated base salary cap for each team at $178M.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You've got HHCD, Burnett, Jones, Brice, James, Evans, Martinez, Ryan, and Smith. 

You're going to be playing 4 of those guys at any time. Best case scenario you're starting HHCD, James, Martinez, Smith. 

It seems crazy to me to spend those resources to have a bench of Morgan Burnett, Marwin Evans, Kentrell Brice, Josh Jones, and Jake Ryan. 

Totally agree... unless you have no other holes and are stacked at every other position. 

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Not too mention he's got us paying Burnett 8 million dollars a year on a 3 year deal. 

IMO The only way making James the top pick makes any sense is if BOTH HHCD and Burnett aren't in our long term plans. 

James and Smith are great players but those additions don't make us even slightly better NEXT year.  IMO They improve our depth and that's about it. 

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

-Burnett is a FA. With his injury history (hasn't started 16 games since 2012 and always on the injury report), I'd be fine with him out. I feel like continuity within the secondary is always broken since the team relies on him too much for communication. My view is either Jones needs to start, or we need a new guy to be the QB of the secondary.

-Brice and Evans are really is just guys (preseason superstars... we've seen this story  before)

-Ryan and Martinez are solid, but does anyone really think they are high impact players? They are also not great in coverage.

I mean, we need to get more athletic. I'd  personally rather see us get an edge guy and play Clay inside on third down (over Smith), but I wouldn't think this is the worst case in the world. 

14 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It's about 1/100th as possible as signing Graham.  Packers aren't touching another free agent with so much as a personality quirk after what just happened with Bennett, and Richardson is twice as bad as Bennett was.  And it's not a would you rather scenario.  There's no, "Packers are doing this or that..."

Packers won't sign Richardson.  I hate to guarantee things like this because I know people like to hope for certain things, but I guarantee the Packers aren't signing Richardson. 

Although  predicting any specific FA is unlikely (just due to the math... 32 teams) I disagree on the sentiment. The TT management tree signed  Charles Woodson (who didn't want to play here and had red flags) and Julius Peppers too. They'll roll the dice on high end plus athletes with red flags.

So guys who fit that mold right now;

S Richardson

S Watkins

Grahm

28 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Although  predicting any specific FA is unlikely (just due to the math... 32 teams) I disagree on the sentiment. The TT management tree signed  Charles Woodson (who didn't want to play here and had red flags) and Julius Peppers too. They'll roll the dice on high end plus athletes with red flags.

So guys who fit that mold right now;

S Richardson

S Watkins

Grahm

I think this post says a lot. Of all the "major" free agents signed by TT (Peppers, Woodson, and Bennett, based on my completely biased opinion),  all three had very productive careers before arriving in GB. I would start right there if you're looking for higher profile FAs to use in your mock. With that in mind, Graham becomes the most likely scenario.

5 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

Do we not like Jimmy Graham? Feel his drop in Seattle was a system failure combined with some about favoritism.

That or he's 32 with a lot of mileage on him. Even if it's a bit of both, are you willing to bet 30 million on it ? We already have 2 guys with fat contracts that can no longer run

18 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I can agree.

21 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I hope your guarantee comes through. I was in North Jersey awhile back with some people talking Jets football and they all were happy to see him go. Wilkerson's the next guy they want gone. Richardson's stats were HORRIBLE this year as well. A sack, a forced fumble, and an INT. That's it...

Just now, Joe said:

I hope your guarantee comes through. I was in North Jersey awhile back with some people talking Jets football and they all were happy to see him go. Wilkerson's the next guy they want gone. Richardson's stats were HORRIBLE this year as well. A sack, a forced fumble, and an INT. That's it...

He's still living off the name he made early in his career.  Take my guarantee to the bank.

Archived