NFL News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I think its a risk mitigation issue and frankly a very easy one to resolve. Use statistics over the last 5 to 10 years and figure out if one field is more prone to injuries then others and then remove that type of field for a safer alternative. This isn't rocket science here. Since your talking the home team here teams should have a vested interest in keeping their own teams healthy. 

How does one do this? 

How does one balance the variables?

Are we going to remove Rodgers from the sample size because his dumbass was wearing molded cleats rather than the cleats made for pellet turf? 

If we find out that there are 64 ACL/Achilles injuries in the NFL each year, and 33 occur on field turf vs 31 on grass, are we really saying that we want the league to spend 10s of millions of dollars to prevent 2 ACL years per year? 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How does one do this? 

Are we going to remove Rodgers from the sample size because his dumbass was wearing molded cleats rather than the cleats made for pellet turf? 

If we find out that there are 64 ACL/Achilles injuries in the NFL each year, and 33 occur on field turf vs 31 on grass, are we really saying that we want the league to spend 10s of millions of dollars to prevent 2 ACL years per year? 

I'd be interested to see the actual numbers on this, if there is anyone who keeps track of that.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I have not seen a single NFL fan advocate for players wearing that foam Guardian Cap over their helmet in games. 

Not a single one. 

Wouldn't have helped Quay, he got hit on the chin. Not the point I get it. Those caps look ridiculous tbh, but I see the point you are making. 

Edited by Old Guy

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How does one do this? 

Your telling me a billion dollar industry with an army of resources can't afford to get themselves data on injuries while taking into affect variables like cleats/other variables? I did harder statistics in college then that would take to make happen. 

If there is no correlation shown within variance like your example above then its a moot point and everyone can sleep soundly knowing turf isn't any less safe then grass. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Everybody has played on pellet fields.

Take a shower, the pellets come right off 

You're being over dramatic about turf burns. That **** isn't astroturf.

As far as cleats getting stuck, that happens on grass fields too. These are professional athletes, they should be wearing cleats most constructive to playing on that surface. 

+++

It's a player safety issue in the same way that in a kitchen, having a $400 chef's knife is a safety issue only when compared to not having a $500 chef's knife. 

As far as sounding like a suit, yeah, this is a suit issue. If this was really something players cared about, they would have negotiated for it in the CBA. They did not because they don't care about it enough to trade anything for it. 

This is a whole lot of something. None of it right, but something. Although you try to formulate an argument to the contrary, lots of players hate playing on turf. Why do the billion dollar soccer teams flat out refuse playing on it???

27 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Your telling me a billion dollar industry with an army of resources can't afford to get themselves data on injuries while taking into affect variables like cleats/other variables? I did harder statistics in college then that would take to make happen. 

If there is no correlation shown within variance like your example above then its a moot point and everyone can sleep soundly knowing turf isn't any less safe then grass. 

How many years of data are we going to need?

Do we have the data from 4 years ago on what cleats the Panthers 5th string LB who tore his ACL on a punt return was wearing?

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This is a whole lot of something. None of it right, but something. Although you try to formulate an argument to the contrary, lots of players hate playing on turf. Why do the billion dollar soccer teams flat out refuse playing on it???

Lots of players like playing on turf too. 

While I'm all for discounting the opinions of WRs and RBs on all things, the skill position players, especially the offensive ones typically like to feel fast on that track. 

Which soccer teams?

FIFA doesn't allow it because they had the 2015 women's world cup played on the jankest turf imaginable and banned it after a lawsuit so as to avoid the PR nightmare of admitting they don't give a **** about women's soccer. They also bought into the nonsense at the time that pellet turf causes cancer. 

6 MLS teams play on turf. 

The Premiere League doesn't like it for a lot of reasons, some of it is concern about knees, but a lot is also: following FIFA, feeling like the ball rolls differently, and heat. 

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How many years of data are we going to need?

Do we have the data from 4 years ago on what cleats the Panthers 5th string LB who tore his ACL on a punt return was wearing?

Those are all decisions that would be discussed before the data is compiled. I mean this isn't that complicated I don't understand what your hang up is? Do you just not believe that a company can collect, analyze, and interpret data with a number of variables?