NFL News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Kampfgeist said:

Are you that confident in Sam Darnold this year- or the 4th best rookie QB?   Serious question, not sure excitement level for Darnold in Minny as he's obviously a big step down from Cousins.

I went to the packers jets game in darnolds rookie year, he actually looked great. It is amazing to me how badly his career has flown off the rails.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Don't they pick at 11 though?  I think they can hold tight.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Agree. If Penix is the target there's a decent chance he'll be there for them - but this way they've got ammo to move up if necessary.

I've ZERO CLUE who they value and why. I just like the way Penix throws the ball and think it'll translate to the next level very well.

From the Giants (at 6 now) on up - that'll be 4 of the top QBs taken - which I'm figuring puts Penix in the mix between 7-11.

The only wild card would be ATL at this juncture.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

no it was a weird trade by minnesota. 

Giving up 42, 188, and 33-42* FOR 23 + 232 is bad process for a rebuilding team.  Doubly so since you don't know what you are getting for 23 right now until the other 22 picks come off the board.

Complete mortgaging of the future to go get a QB who is not going to be effective for like 3 yrs.. by then their core will have fallen apart. 

This will be a fun decade. 

Just now, Leader said:

Agree. If Penix is the target there's a decent chance he'll be there for them - but this way they've got ammo to move up if necessary.

I've ZERO CLUE who they value and why. I just like the way Penix throws the ball and think it'll translate to the next level very well.

From the Giants (at 6 now) on up - that'll be 4 of the top QBs taken - which I'm figuring puts Penix in the mix between 7-11.

I think Penix could be a surprise top 10 pick but I haven't taken stock of who is qb needy.

Seems like Mccarthy is the consensus #4, and I think he fits O'connell's vision of what he wants in a QB.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

They had ammo anyways with the 2rp this year and next yr. 

4 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I went to the packers jets game in darnolds rookie year, he actually looked great. It is amazing to me how badly his career has flown off the rails.

He's high high on my list of guys I thought were primed to have great careers entering their Draft and flamed out for some reason

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Vikings should trade up for Harrison Jr. or Odzune.  Pair them with Jefferson and Hockenson, who cares who the QB is?  

And aaron jones. Man that offense would cause problems if they had a guy who could spin it

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Vikings should trade up for Harrison Jr. or Odzune.  Pair them with Jefferson and Hockenson, who cares who the QB is?  

And let Sam Darnold run the show? That is what a GM who wants to get fired would do. 

21 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Are you that confident in Sam Darnold this year- or the 4th best rookie QB?   Serious question, not sure excitement level for Darnold in Minny as he's obviously a big step down from Cousins.

I'm not.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

-gestures at the Jets going full Jets with their QBs-

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

no it was a weird trade by minnesota. 

Giving up 42, 188, and 33-42* FOR 23 + 232 is bad process for a rebuilding team.  Doubly so since you don't know what you are getting for 23 right now until the other 22 picks come off the board.

You can't rebuild with bridge QBs. Minnesota won't be drafting at 11 or 23. They will trade up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

I think Penix could be a surprise top 10 pick but I haven't taken stock of who is qb needy.

Seems like Mccarthy is the consensus #4, and I think he fits O'connell's vision of what he wants in a QB.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Nine out of the top 13 should be in the quarterback market. Ten if you don't count on Will Levis being the guy in Tennessee. Even the Bears aren't dumb enough to draft two quarterbacks. I could see teams holding picks 11, 12, and 13 trading into the top 10.

I truly hope teams do what they always do and over value mediocre quarterbacks. I like two in this draft: WIlliams and Daniels. It would be great if Maybe (extremely likely), McCarthy, Penix and Nix went before our pick. Hopefully the Vikings take Nix or Penix. I think McCarthy could be a good one if he's allowed to sit a year or two. 

1) Chicago Bears (from Carolina)
2) Washington Commanders
3) New England Patriots
4) Arizona Cardinals
5) Los Angeles Chargers
6) New York Giants
7) Tennessee Titans
😎 Atlanta Falcons
9) Chicago Bears
10) New York Jets
11) Minnesota Vikings
12) Denver Broncos
13) Las Vegas Raiders

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

You can't rebuild with bridge QBs. Minnesota won't be drafting at 11 or 23. They will trade up.

why can't they just trade 2 2nds to move up to 5 or 7 or wherever they want?  It's weird to have to give up these picks now and possibly not be able to swing the deal later.

• Like 1