NFL News & Notes

Leader

26 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I remember about 10 months ago stating we should sign him for 10 years for 400. Imagine the cap flexibility a deal like that would have given us. 

Obviously, that ship has sailed, but wonder if we could get him to do 10 for 500 with 275 guaranteed? 

Yeah, I remember you were on the "extend love ASAP" bandwagon pretty early.

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah we botched this one, should've been extended last Oct/Nov like TT did with Rodgers. We'll pay the price now, literally and figuratively. 

Also impossible, given that you can't extend a contract until a year after the last contract was signed. Only way possible would be if Love wasn't extended last year for a little pay bump, which I don't think either side wanted.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Shoes31 said:

Also impossible, given that you can't extend a contract until a year after the last contract was signed. Only way possible would be if Love wasn't extended last year for a little pay bump, which I don't think either side wanted.

I would've just exercised the 5th year. They proceeded super cautiously for the guy they were willing to move on from the most talented QB to ever play the game for. They played ballsy and cautious at the same time, it will cost them a lot of money now. 

8 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

You're not wrong, I'm pretty sure the "true crime podcast" thing middle aged women seem to be really into these days, at least in a small part, ties back to him and Unsolved Mysteries. 

Politics aside, Obama narrates an "Our Great National Parks" documentary and crushes it. Unsurprisingly for someone who reached the ranks he did he's got a super smooth speaking voice that works great for that sort of thing. 

What are you trying to say? I am a middle aged man and I love that stuff.  😆

Obama does have a good narrating voice.  For the right kind of narration, so do Sylvester Stalone and George Clooney.  If you watched any of the DVD extras for Game of Thrones, Iain Glen and harry Lloyd also have very good narrating voices.  

23 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Love playing the same as last year gonna be a disappointment with this new contract now

Wasn't he second in the league in TDs?  

It is a sticker shock right now, for all positions, but the money is going up across the board.  I am less worried about player X getting eleventy bajillion dollars per season, than I am paying multiple players top 4 or 5 at their respective positions.  Look comparatively where we are saving money vs where we are spending more than other teams, and less at the actual numbers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Love playing the same as last year gonna be a disappointment with this new contract now

The question is whether we continue to see the version of Love we saw from week 10 fwd.  Locking down that QB will not be disappointing no matter what the number is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

The question is whether we continue to see the version of Love we saw from week 10 fwd.  Locking down that QB will not be disappointing no matter what the number is.

soon as he signs that deal, the SF game is a huge disappointment.  Can't have your top paid QB playing like that

In truth, I honestly expect Love and the offense in general to be even better this year.  There were some genuine growing pains last season.  Other than Jacobs, every offensive skill player still has plenty of growth yet to be realized.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

soon as he signs that deal, the SF game is a huge disappointment.  Can't have your top paid QB playing like that

If you want to cherry pick the worst moments, then every player in the league is disappointing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If you want to cherry pick the worst moments, then every player in the league is disappointing.

don't feel it's cherry picking to look at playoff performance vs the NFC champion.

point being, Love needs to be consistently great with a contract like that.  That's what he's being paid for and what he's being paid to do.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

don't feel it's cherry picking to look at playoff performance vs the NFC champion.

point being, Love needs to be consistently great with a contract like that.  That's what he's being paid for and what he's being paid to do.

So you would feel better about Love not performing well in the playoffs if he's paid as a top 15 QB rather than top 5?

25 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

So you would feel better about Love not performing well in the playoffs if he's paid as a top 15 QB rather than top 5?

I think the roster construction would be more equipped to handle those types of games, a la brock purdy.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah we botched this one, should've been extended last Oct/Nov like TT did with Rodgers. We'll pay the price now, literally and figuratively. 

After the 2 year deal Love signed last May, I don't think an extension could be done until a full year after.  

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Why? If the defense shows up we win 14 games with Love playing the same way he did last year.