NFL News & Notes

Leader

18 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I think they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. 

They are stuck in quarterback purgatory. Good enough to win games and get in the playoffs, not good enough to win a Super Bowl.

I have no clue what Jerry Jones will do. Probably extend him. 

I'm not 80 something years old. I'd probably come to grips with the idea Prescott is never getting me over the hump. If I could trade him this year and get a haul, I would. Reality, it's too late for that so you've screwed yourself either way. 

Should have traded him to the Bears for #1 overall. The Bears would have jumped at that opportunity. Even Washington for #2 overall. 

You describe DAL as being in QB purgatory with a QB that is good enough to get you to the playoffs but not good enough to win a title.

Then you pretend that we couldn't know that CHI/WAS would never consider not only trading #1/#2 overall for that same QB, but also pay that QB so much that he would agree to bypass the UFA market?  It's ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

You describe DAL as being in QB purgatory with a QB that is good enough to get you to the playoffs but not good enough to win a title.

Then you pretend that we couldn't know that CHI/WAS would never consider not only trading #1/#2 overall for that same QB, but also pay that QB so much that he would agree to bypass the UFA market?  It's ridiculous.

Right.  This issue isn't the play of Prescott.  For sure Chicago and/or Wash would have loved that at QB.

But, you have to factor in the contract, which is going to be enormous.

Then you have to look at the rookies available.  

Then you weigh the results.  Those are two good looking rookies at #1 and #2 in the draft.  And they were seen as such throughout the draft process.

The maybe you factor in your roster and the future.

None of that adds up to trading the first overall or second overall pick for Prescott.

Got a lot of flak over this one.  Dude had multiple back surgeries before the draft.  Supremely talented but medicals a no go.  What a waste of a 1st round pick.  Busted out hard.  Horrible pick by the Titans.  

On 8/26/2024 at 9:03 AM, Mazrimiv said:

Are there any other candidates?  Maybe Jenkins or McKinney?  

I think Jenkins has established he's a pretty special player, but then he had injury and he plays OG which generally doesn't generate a lot of sizzle. 

28 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

A really weird trade.  I'm not understanding why the Rams would do this.  Jones is a good young player, and they trade him for a RD5 pick in 2026?  They probably get a RD4 comp pick if they let him play out his contract and hit the market.

Rams trade LB Ernest Jones IV to Titans

wow that does seem like a nice rental for Tennessee.  I don't think Ten can recoup the comp pick since they just acquired him?

For LAR the only thing that makes sense is they were too cash strapped to pay him what he's worth and they don't foresee passing on 2025 Free Agency to recoup the comp pick.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

wow that does seem like a nice rental for Tennessee.  I don't think Ten can recoup the comp pick since they just acquired him?

For LAR the only thing that makes sense is they were too cash strapped to pay him what he's worth and they don't foresee passing on 2025 Free Agency to recoup the comp pick.

If they are too cash strapped to pay him, I think that probably limits their 2025 FA activity too.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

If they are too cash strapped to pay him, I think that probably limits their 2025 FA activity too.

yeah, maybe it's just a difference of opinion on wanting to pay up for him, and he's become disgruntled as a result.

GB made a similar move last year trading Rasul Douglas and a 5th for a 3rd.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The Rams are in a similar position to a lot of teams cap wise. Maybe, they have guys they like just as much that are cheaper and they didn't want to keep a disgruntled player. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

The Kevin King comeback attempt in ATL appears to be over.

I would have him on the PS if Hafley thought he could work with him. That ship has likely sailed for the fans, team and player, though.