NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

Doesn't always work that way.  Sometimes you can give them your valuables and **** still gets ugly.

That's true enough, but this was in broad daylight in a section of town with multiple security cameras.  I am doubting the kid with the gun went into it planning to pull the trigger.

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, crime is still much, much lower in every major city than it was in the 80s or 90s.  The plural of anecdote is not, and has never been, data.

Like, per the FBI Violent Crime is down 49% from 1993 to 2022, and the rate of robbery has fallen 74% in the same period.  You can never be safe from a desperate maniac though, whether in a big city or a small town.

Gb should be getting home town safety discounts for being a small town

Edited by HokieHigh
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Gb should be getting home town safety discounts for being a small town

We can open up that whole can of worms but there are many cities statistically safer than medium and small sized towns. Everyone has their preferences but young millionaires and particularly young African American millionaires aren’t picking GB as their top choice. Now, most end up really enjoying the atmosphere once they get here but the majority of Packers keep a second offseason home.

I remember a story about RB Herron getting his home invaded while he was playing in GB. I guess he beat the hell out of the guys with a bed post. I’m glad they weren’t armed but that kind of thing can mess with you and unfortunately happen anywhere, small town or big city. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

We can open up that whole can of worms but there are many cities statistically safer than medium and small sized towns. Everyone has their preferences but young millionaires and particularly young African American millionaires aren’t picking GB as their top choice. Now, most end up really enjoying the atmosphere once they get here but the majority of Packers keep a second offseason home.

I remember a story about RB Herron getting his home invaded while he was playing in GB. I guess he beat the hell out of the guys with a bed post. I’m glad they weren’t armed but that kind of thing can mess with you and unfortunately happen anywhere, small town or big city. 

Home invasion is different than walking on the sidewalk. 

Funny enough the real solution is the same. Perception of effective defense. 

Edited by HokieHigh

5 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

That's true enough, but this was in broad daylight in a section of town with multiple security cameras.  I am doubting the kid with the gun went into it planning to pull the trigger.

You’re thinking logically tho.  Anybody desperate enough to stick someone up at gunpoint in broad daylight amidst cameras isn’t thinking about it like that. 

35 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

You’re thinking logically tho.  Anybody desperate enough to stick someone up at gunpoint in broad daylight amidst cameras isn’t thinking about it like that. 

Yeah, people who do crimes generally aren't thinking things all the way through.  Like if this guy was thinking, he wouldn't have loaded the gun because a loaded gun in an armed robbery is a bad thing to have had when you face a judge, while an unloaded gun can't be turned against you.  But if he was cogent enough to have thought that through, he probably would have realized that armed robbery wasn't a great idea anyway.

The best way to prevent things like this happening in the future is to make sure people never get this desperate.  Like the basic premise of civilization is "people who have a lot agree that it would be better to have less than to have to fight off the barbarians at the gate over and over again."  Since desperation has lead to violence as long as we have had words for this.

• Like 4

Just read it was a 17-year-old kid who shot him. 

Pearsall has been released from the hospital. No idea how long it will take him to hear physically from the wound. Imagine the mental part of that could be a long time, if ever. 

Apparently, the bullet went through Pearsall and exited out his back. It obviously missed his vital organs. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Just read it was a 17-year-old kid who shot him. 

Pearsall has been released from the hospital. No idea how long it will take him to hear physically from the wound. Imagine the mental part of that could be a long time, if ever. 

Apparently, the bullet went through Pearsall and exited out his back. It obviously missed his vital organs. 

Yeah, kid from Tracy about an hour and 20 outside of town. Bad deal all around but also why I cringe if you say things like too bad the assailant didn’t die. I’m not wishing death on anyone but someone so young makes it especially tragic. Maybe he can one day get on a different path. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Yeah, people who do crimes generally aren't thinking things all the way through.  Like if this guy was thinking, he wouldn't have loaded the gun because a loaded gun in an armed robbery is a bad thing to have had when you face a judge, while an unloaded gun can't be turned against you.  But if he was cogent enough to have thought that through, he probably would have realized that armed robbery wasn't a great idea anyway.

The best way to prevent things like this happening in the future is to make sure people never get this desperate.  Like the basic premise of civilization is "people who have a lot agree that it would be better to have less than to have to fight off the barbarians at the gate over and over again."  Since desperation has lead to violence as long as we have had words for this.

That is all an interesting world view to reveal but the responsibility of a football player is to make sure he is able to play football.

Hire bodyguards.

Protect your house with land between you and the public, visible  cameras and signs, moats and crocodiles. 

Whatever it is that rich people are supposed to do to protect the things that incentivize them as targets.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Yeah, kid from Tracy about an hour and 20 outside of town. Bad deal all around but also why I cringe if you say things like too bad the assailant didn’t die. I’m not wishing death on anyone but someone so young makes it especially tragic. Maybe he can one day get on a different path. 

Yes quite tragic indeed. 

9 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I think about it from the other side.  I've been held at gunpoint twice, both times by a young(ish) kid.  Both times it seemed clear that they had no interest in pulling the trigger.  Just give them what they are asking for and move on with your life.

When I think about it the Pearsall incident, it doesn't make any sense to me that the kid would have initiated a physical altercation. That's the last thing he would have wanted.  Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to defend the kid here. I just suspect it wasn't the kid who initiated the physical struggle.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think about it from the other side.  I've been held at gunpoint twice, both times by a young(ish) kid.  Both times it seemed clear that they had no interest in pulling the trigger.  Just give them what they are asking for and move on with your life.

When I think about it the Pearsall incident, it doesn't make any sense to me that the kid would have initiated a physical altercation. That's the last thing he would have wanted.  Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to defend the kid here. I just suspect it wasn't the kid who initiated the physical struggle.

WTF? smh

He pointed a ******* gun at him! 

11 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Worked for the slavs vs the mongols.

Has paying barbarians ever worked out long term?

Edited by HighCalebR

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

WTF? smh

He pointed a ******* gun at him! 

Yes but that isn't physical contact.

I've also had a gun in my face and I also complied with the gunman's requests. I had an immediate urge to fight, but then immediately after thought that would be a bad idea. 

I also had a gun on me.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1