Overrated Vs Underrated Draft Prospects

Mind Character

29 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Of course he does, he’s gotta put someone there now and change his mock half a dozen times between now and draft day for clicks.

I can’t think of a bigger waste of time then reading these “expert’s” mocks imo. “Here’s my opinion on something I have no personal knowledge of and has been proven to be mostly incorrect every year.  Stay tuned next week and my opinion will change despite no new information!”

Agreed.

How else can you get people to BUY your stuff between January and May?

Imagine a real mock where only about 5 spots change between now and then...no one buys it.

Also, hard to mock things before free agency and the off-season...let alone the underwear olympics...I mean, COMBINE.

I'll play:

Overrated - Denzel Ward tOSU. He started to come on strong in the end of the season but wow was he bad in the beginning. If he needs an adjustment period in college, he'll need some time to get up to speed with the pros. Not worth a top 15 pick if you ask me. Late first maybe, 2nd definitely.

Q. Nelson ND. Kid has serious talent but he is a guard. Again I've seen mocks where he is a lock for top 10. If you are sitting at the back end of the top 10 and you have a choice between Chubb, Nelson or R Smith... are you going to pick the guard? 

Arden Key LSU - I was only big on him because of name recognition until someone told me to look into his off field issues. Kid might be a turdsammich. That is enough to put him in the overrated pile. 

Underrated - Carlton Davis Aub - I totally agree. Many have him as a late 2nd to 3rd round pick. If he is there at #33 or #35 then take him! 

Cortland Sutton SMU - Right now he is a mid to late first round pick. I've watched him play. He is the best WR in the draft. Easily should be top 10. 

AND finally, My MAN! 

Troy Fumagalli WIS - Trust me on this! He will be a an excellent pro TE. Every time the buckeyes played Wis I would hear his name called 6-7 times followed by FIRST DOWN. He has great hands and can extend drives. I would take him with our 3rd and if we needed a TE I might take him late 2nd. Some of you and other mockers have him going in the late rounds?!?!?! I stay away from rookie jerseys in Cleveland but if we pick him... I'm getting it! 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Not for or against these prospects but isn't it kinda hard to say good or bad tape if we don't know the defensive call/coverage check and what their individual assignment was on that play? Just was asking, I know for me in coaching, I need to know the call first to know where everyone supposed to be then I can determine who did a good or bad thing. (Now of course taking bad angles and missing tackles don't need a play call, but everything else?)

Just was asking...

Of course, knowing what the players are taught helps contextualized their on-field decisions.

So, you're definitely right there.

But some things are quite obvious and easy to infer from on field trends.

I've been around coaching my entire life and know that a safety's role in Cover 3, vs Cover 2, and Cover 1 comes with certain responsibilities.

As a coach, then you know in terms of teaching a player where there eyes should cue, how they should react to certain route concepts, their ability to get off a block, their ability to range and disrupt a play from inside versus outside the hash, whether their eyes are looking in the wrong place, whether they take the bait easily, whether their slow to process and identify what's in front of them and play hesitant....all these things are readily available by watching the ALL22.

So, in many instances knowing what the coaches are specifically telling them to do doesn't shed any additional insight on the player's play.

Now, of course, there are instances where that is the case.

1. The WR class as a whole. You hear talk about how deep the RB class is this year but I think the WR class is extremely deep as well. I don't see a single Top 15 prospect but there is loads and loads of great options from late 1st all they way through 4th round. You could potentially see 3rd round talents making it to the top of the 5th round at WR.

Two of my favorite underrated WRs; Marcell Ateman gets almost no love because he is overshadowed by James Washington. He has an NFL body, strong hands, YAC skills and wins contested balls. Michael Gallup has great feet and very creative in his route stems, advanced for a mid major college player. He is always very good after the catch and hard to bring down even after contact. Will win with technique and that is where most WRs fail in the NFL.

2. Jessie Bates is the best center fielder in the draft. He is a ball hawk with great return abilities. He is not the greatest tackler but he is not a bad tackler either. 

3. M.J. Stewart is a great all around player. If you want Minkah Fitzpatrick but don't have a Top 10 pick then you take this guy in the 2nd round and you don't miss much at all IMO. He is a great run defender and fearless of contact. He will run through would be blockers on the perimeter or stack and shed. Very powerful upper body you can see it in the way he gets rid of blockers, jams receivers and never loses grip on tackles. Great blitzer as well. At his best in the slot. No slouch on the outside at corner either but doesn't have the same impact as he does playing inside. I honestly wish we had better outside corners so we could take Stewart. As it stands I think we need the most help outside.

4. Mason Rudolph is by no means a sure fire prospect but I think he takes a lot of heat for no reason other than he has been around a long time and fans grew tired of hearing about him. Jackson, Allen, Darnold, Rosen are all fresh names and exciting to talk about. I would place him far ahead of Jackson and Allen in my rankings and based on recent film study I like him more than Rosen as well. And that is not to say Rudolph is a world beater of a prospect. Those other guys just aren't either.

5. Brian O'Neil is extremely athletic. Has the ability to match the quickness of an edge rusher he'd face in the NFL if he learns to use the proper techniques. He is extremely raw as he has only played the position for 3 years. He is not a road grater but he is still a very effective run blocker. Gets to the second level with speed and balance. I don't know where he will ultimately land in the draft but he has far more upside than Connor Williams or Mike McGlinchy. Has the feet to be superior to Orlando Brown as well who IMO has more of a bust factor the way he bends at the waist and lunges at time for contact. Well coached DEs in the NFL will feast on that flaw unless Brown can correct it. O'Neil is more flexible and athletic so I think he even has more long term potential than Orlando Brown.

14 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

3. M.J. Stewart is a great all around player. If you want Minkah Fitzpatrick but don't have a Top 10 pick then you take this guy in the 2nd round and you don't miss much at all IMO. He is a great run defender and fearless of contact. He will run through would be blockers on the perimeter or stack and shed. Very powerful upper body you can see it in the way he gets rid of blockers, jams receivers and never loses grip on tackles. Great blitzer as well. At his best in the slot. No slouch on the outside at corner either but doesn't have the same impact as he does playing inside. I honestly wish we had better outside corners so we could take Stewart. As it stands I think we need the most help outside

This.

6 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

This is going to sound really strange, but I'm going to put it out there.

I actually think Sam Darnold is underrated.

I know he's the likely (hopefully) #1 pick, but I read and listen to the media talk about him and I question whether they've actually watched him extensively. They've built a narrative around him that at best is ignorant and lazy, and at worst is complete arse.

I believe he is a better QB prospect than many are making him out to be.

I completely agree. Watching him I think he has that “it” factor. Yeah I know people don’t believe it’s a thing. I do. 

On 1/18/2018 at 7:16 AM, Aztec Hammer said:

This is going to sound really strange, but I'm going to put it out there.

I actually think Sam Darnold is underrated.

I know he's the likely (hopefully) #1 pick, but I read and listen to the media talk about him and I question whether they've actually watched him extensively. They've built a narrative around him that at best is ignorant and lazy, and at worst is complete arse.

I believe he is a better QB prospect than many are making him out to be.

Especially since he has only played the position for three years.

He is just going to get bigger and better.

People are going to (already have) overrate Davenport and really be disappointed expecting early returns. He has some skills but need so much work on his approach to the game and moves, he's going to go high because of the weak Edge class, and intriguing measurables. Still could have a great career but I wouldn't be surprised if a guy who went after him has more sacks than him in his first year.

Archived