Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

I kind of like the Twins odds in this seriesĀ šŸ˜¬

• They took the season series
  • The Astros have 1 LHP in Valdez. I'm not sure if the BP lefty makes the playoff roster, which means Rocco will be making defensive adjustments and keep the best offense at the plate as long as necessary.
  • The Twins pitching has been better all season
  • The Twins are locked in right now - they aren't making bonehead mistakes and are picking each other up with double plays, pick-off plays, and sound fundamental baseball.Ā 

The Astros have dangerous studs with experience on the mound and at the plate, but this team feels different.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 2

There were a couple moments reminiscent to the ALCS in 87 with player with home runs in his first two postseason at bats (Lewis, Gaetti) and then the opposing team getting picked off in big moments (I think Darrell Evans was actually picked off twice in that series). Hopefully we keep riding that 87 vibe.

• Like 1

Thoughts on the rotation for this series? How many starters will they need? Ryan will get game 1 right? He'll have some extra rest but what about Maeda? They didn't need him out of the bullpen last series but maybe they were saving him for game 3 in case Ryan had a short start

I would go:

Game 1: Ober
Game 2: Lopez
Game 3: Gray
Game 4: Ryan
Game 5: Lopez

I really like Ober in game 1 with Maeda there to piggyback. Basically let them both go through the order once and hand to the pen. Ober produces weaker contact and fewer fly balls in a homer happy park, while Ryan's splits show a heavy favor for letting him pitch at home.

Maeda should be the guy ready to go at the first sign of trouble for game 1 and game 4.

I would leave either Funderburk or Paddack off of the roster.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I would go:

Game 1: Ober
Game 2: Lopez
Game 3: Gray
Game 4: Ryan
Game 5: Lopez

I really like Ober in game 1 with Maeda there to piggyback. Basically let them both go through the order once and hand to the pen. Ober produces weaker contact and fewer fly balls in a homer happy park, while Ryan's splits show a heavy favor for letting him pitch at home.

Maeda should be the guy ready to go at the first sign of trouble for game 1 and game 4.

I would leave either Funderburk or Paddack off of the roster.

Most likely Paddack for me. They need the LHP....

I'd likely go with Ober in game 1 also.Ā 

37 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Interesting.Ā  I kind of wonder if they shouldn't just start Maeda in game one since he's got the playoff experience and will have to be ready to take over anyways

Ober has been stronger late in the year - maybe their best pitcher in September, and starting Maeda means you lose a long reliever with post season experience for the other games.