Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

On 7/24/2024 at 2:18 PM, vike daddy said:

how many Minnesotans are competing in the Summer Olympics? any of them likely to win medals?

don'tcha know....

Lakeville's Regan Smith won another silver medal for Team USA in the Paris Olympics Friday, winning the medal in the 200-meter backstroke.

This is the third silver medal Smith has won in Paris. 

https://www.fox9.com/sports/minnesota-swimmer-regan-smith-gets-third-silver-medal-paris-olympics

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2024 at 11:36 PM, vike daddy said:

zebby.jpg

He pitched really well last night! 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 5 K, 0 BB, 77 pitches

The moment didn't seem to big for him, and the stuff looked great.

The pitching pipeline finally seems like it's producing - Ober, Ryan, SWR, Festa, and now Matthews have all shown that they can be part of a winning big league club. Kudos to the FO, scouts, and player dev folks.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

He pitched really well last night! 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 5 K, 0 BB, 77 pitches

The moment didn't seem to big for him, and the stuff looked great.

The pitching pipeline finally seems like it's producing - Ober, Ryan, SWR, Festa, and now Matthews have all shown that they can be part of a winning big league club. Kudos to the FO, scouts, and player dev folks.

It would be really nice if one of them developed into a top line starter. Year after year, it seems like the only thing this team is missing is an ace. Everything else seems to be in place.

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

It would be really nice if one of them developed into a top line starter. Year after year, it seems like the only thing this team is missing is an ace. Everything else seems to be in place.

Zebby has the best shot, IMO. Although Ober has pitched like an ace since June. If he didn't have to face the Royals his name would be tossed around in Cy Young talks (currently 12th in the AL per Fangraphs).

• Like 1

It has been a huge summer window for the Loons. Lots of big signings:

- signed forward Kelvin Yeboah (24) from Genoa in Italy for $3.3M

- signed midfielder Joaquinn Pereyra (25) from Tucuman in Argentina for $3.2M

- signed centerback Jefferson Diaz (23) from Deportiva Cali in Colombia for $645k

- signed rightback Matus Kmet (24) from AS Trencin in Slovakia (fee unknown)

- signed midfielder Sam Shashoua (25) from Albacete in Spain as a free agent

- traded for leftback Anthony Markanich (24) from St. Louis for $50k in GAM

We tried signing a couple of different defensive midfielders but none of the deals got done, so I expect that will be the first priority in the winter.

• Like 2

what a stupid way to lose that game. Also, the strike zone was not being called in our favor... Can't win them all, but these "losses that should have been wins" sting more and more the later we get into the season. Especially when we could've had the division lead down to 1 game.

• Like 2

SWR with another good outing. Despite a 5-3 record, the Twins are 15-7 in games that he starts, he's giving them 5 innings every start, has only given up more than 4 runs once all season, and his FIP/ERA matches up closely, so we're not hiding anything lucky. Unbelievably dependable for a rookie.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

SWR with another good outing. Despite a 5-3 record, the Twins are 15-7 in games that he starts, he's giving them 5 innings every start, has only given up more than 4 runs once all season, and his FIP/ERA matches up closely, so we're not hiding anything lucky. Unbelievably dependable for a rookie.

While I don't know much about him, he was my #1/#2 starter in MLB The Show '24 in the 2026 season, which I bought a month or so ago so I could actually learn who the current players are.  🤣

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While I don't know much about him, he was my #1/#2 starter in MLB The Show '24 in the 2026 season, which I bought a month or so ago so I could actually learn who the current players are.  🤣

We got him and Austin Martin from the Blue Jays for Jose Berrios. Twins have done a nice job developing his pitches and adding a couple mph to his 4 seam. He's probably got a low end #2/high end #3 starter ceiling, and should be a net positive for this staff for the foreseeable future. 

57 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

It's crazy that they are holding the rotation together with 3 rookie starters and making a playoff push. How are they going to prevent them from getting burnt out with the increased workload?  

they don't have much choice...but they could start Varland for a game or two (I wouldn't) to rest the rookies.