Vixen Twins watch Wild Wolves and Loony Lynx (MN Sports Thread)

Heimdallr

On 10/3/2024 at 3:59 PM, wcblack34 said:

Rose should be in the Hall. So should Bonds. Until they are, it’s a joke. 

Frankly, I disagree. Bonds was a cheat.  Rose broke THE cardinal rule in baseball...by betting on his own team, while he was manager.

Rose was a rotten human being...serially cheating on his wife, while threatening her life should she reveal his marital infidelity. 

13 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Frankly, I disagree. Bonds was a cheat.  Rose broke THE cardinal rule in baseball...by betting on his own team, while he was manager.

Rose was a rotten human being...serially cheating on his wife, while threatening her life should she reveal his marital infidelity. 

Do you think the Hall of Fame is clean otherwise? I’m not going to try to convince anyone on Rose, but the idea that Bonds taking PEDs should keep him out is so naive.

Bonds was a 50 WAR player in his 7 seasons in Pittsburgh. That’s more than many Hall of Famers’ careers. He was intentionally walked more times than the entire Tampa Bay franchise. 

Being a good, honest person is not and has never been a prerequisite for getting into the Hall.

23 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Do you think the Hall of Fame is clean otherwise? I’m not going to try to convince anyone on Rose, but the idea that Bonds taking PEDs should keep him out is so naive.

Bonds was a 50 WAR player in his 7 seasons in Pittsburgh. That’s more than many Hall of Famers’ careers. He was intentionally walked more times than the entire Tampa Bay franchise. 

Being a good, honest person is not and has never been a prerequisite for getting into the Hall.

I am actually an anti- Hall of Fame person.  When trying to separate individual worthiness out of a team sport, it gets inherently political, and admission gets decided by marginal issues (i.e. did you win a Super Bowl? World Series?  If so, how many?) Or, by what the current culture can or cannot stomach (i.e. racist comments, cheating, gambling, etc...)  

As for Bonds, is it possible to separate his pre PED play from his PED exploits.  Do some of his achievements carry asterisks and others are "pure?"  What does separating the good Bonds from the bad Bonds say to fans? or young players who might try to reach greatness by cheating?

Like you, I am not trying to convince anyone.  People have pretty much made up their minds.  But, I would just close with my opinion that the PED era nearly caused MLB's implosion and continues to have lingering effects.  For example, dominant players like Aaron Judge and Shohei Ohtani are having their exploits labeled as a "non-steroid" or "clean" achievements. They are being defined by the PED era. If they are clean, how fair is that?

Edited by Captain Relax

22 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Lots of guys were juicing, and there’s a very good chance several of them are in the Hall. Bonds was simply the greatest hitter the game had seen since Ted Williams. Even before his forehead exploded. Sosa and McGwire saved baseball. They should be in too. 

Ty Cobb is in the Hall of Fame. Plenty of other terrible people there too. OJ Simpson is still in the Hall. Rose was still in the top 1 percent to ever play the game. Period. It’s the Hall of Fame. Not the Hall of Good Fellas. 

Whether MLB likes it or not, these guys will always hold records. It’s hypocritical for MLB to make video packages and documentaries that include these guys, continue to make money off of those achievements, and not put them in Hall. 

19 hours ago, MIZ-Viking2293 said:

How does everyone feel about the Wild heading into the season? Something in my gut thinks they'll be better then last year. Hopefully we see more Jesper Wallstadt this year. Let's find out if he's the goalie of the future. Really surprised they didn't move a goalie in the off-season.

I’m really hoping to see Jesper. But outside of that, I don’t know that there’s a lot to be optimistic about. I think they’ll compete for a playoff spot, but they’re not a serious contender. 

49 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Lots of guys were juicing, and there’s a very good chance several of them are in the Hall. Bonds was simply the greatest hitter the game had seen since Ted Williams. Even before his forehead exploded. Sosa and McGwire saved baseball. They should be in too. 

Ty Cobb is in the Hall of Fame. Plenty of other terrible people there too. OJ Simpson is still in the Hall. Rose was still in the top 1 percent to ever play the game. Period. It’s the Hall of Fame. Not the Hall of Good Fellas. 

Whether MLB likes it or not, these guys will always hold records. It’s hypocritical for MLB to make video packages and documentaries that include these guys, continue to make money off of those achievements, and not put them in Hall. 

I invite you to take a look at my second post...it's complicated.