The Packers 2015 Draft

TheOnlyThing

42 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, how many teams are utilizing their ILBs as pass defenders?  I'd argue that our ILB's (and by that I really mean Jake Ryan) are more a byproduct of the fact that we play with two down lineman.  If you're using the lighter ILBs, they're going to get ran over.

I don't know - teams aren't going with Buchanon and Smith because they're worried about getting run over. Until someone goes all Hogs and Riggins, the running game is just for show, and I like the run as much as the next guy. Becoming harder and harder to go 80 yards in 18 plays. My gut feeling guess is that we are gonna see even more of the James Whites in the passing game in the future as well. All bets are off until we see what Pettine can do I guess. I'll stand pat with my opinion that Martinez was obsolete the second we drafted him. I also think TT and Co. got caught up with drafting for football in January. I don't know why else they were so afraid to draft fast guys. We have the slowest wide receivers, I'd bet our LB's are some of the slowest as well

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

I don't know - teams aren't going with Buchanon and Smith because they're worried about getting run over. Until someone goes all Hogs and Riggins, the running game is just for show, and I like the run as much as the next guy. Becoming harder and harder to go 80 yards in 18 plays. My gut feeling guess is that we are gonna see even more of the James Whites in the passing game in the future as well. All bets are off until we see what Pettine can do I guess. I'll stand pat with my opinion that Martinez was obsolete the second we drafted him. I also think TT and Co. got caught up with drafting for football in January. I don't know why else they were so afraid to draft fast guys. We have the slowest wide receivers, I'd bet our LB's are some of the slowest as well

Martinez or Ryan?

14 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Martinez or Ryan?

Both, Martinez had a good year but he's not the type to succeed long term in today's NFL

Watch how wide open the middle of the field is, his lack of coverage skills puts way too much stress on our Safeties

22 minutes ago, GWH87 said:

Both, Martinez had a good year but he's not the type to succeed long term in today's NFL

Watch how wide open the middle of the field is, his lack of coverage skills puts way too much stress on our Safeties

Still have to stop the run, we have two teams in our own division who would prefer to run over pass. Let alone Dallas and Seattle ( when they actually had a RB in Lynch) who we battle in the post season. New Orleans this year too.

The run game is not dead in the NFL. Martinez and Ryan are useful players. We have Josh Jones to be our dime backer and Burnett if he returns.

25 minutes ago, GWH87 said:

If Blake Martinez isn't the type of guy to succeed long term in the NFL, who the hell is succeeding?

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If Blake Martinez isn't the type of guy to succeed long term in the NFL, who the hell is succeeding?

In a pass first league Martinez is the golden boy you'd hitch your meal ticket to?

For me I'll pass, give me an E Kendricks or D Jones type with speed that can drop in coverage & doesn't need to be subbed for on long down n distance or 3rd down.

Just now, GWH87 said:

For me I'll pass, give me an E Kendricks or D Jones type with speed that can drop in coverage & doesn't need to be subbed for on long down n distance or 3rd down.

Let's play this out.  Series of questions.  No paragraphs.  One sentence questions/answers challenge:

1. Where do you find this E. Kendricks/D. Jones type?
2. How much do they cost?
3. What does it take to get them?
4. Will getting this player effect our ability to get a pass rusher?
5. Is a pass rusher more or less important than a pass coverage ILB?
6. Was or was Morgan Burnett not, essentially, a coverage ILB for us last year? 

5 minutes ago, GWH87 said:

In a pass first league Martinez is the golden boy you'd hitch your meal ticket to?

Here are the stat lines of two Inside Linebackers:

LB A: 67 Solo/9 TFL/1 Sack/6 PD/1 INT/1 FF

LB B 96 Solo/12 TFL/1 Sack/ 8 PD/1 INT/1FF

A is Kendricks

B is Martinez

++++++++++++++++

And what the hell kind of pants-on-head, idiot logic doesn't see you pulling your ILBs on clear passing downs?

If your argument is that first and second down are mixed downs in the NFL that you need to be able to cover, that's a fine train of thought, but the idea that you're going to keep your ILBs on the field on 3rd down because . . . [I actually can't think of a reason] . . . is just awful.

23 hours ago, cannondale said:

I'm legitimately not sure you can make an argument that Deone Buchanon is the reason why the Arizona Cardinals' defense has success.  It's a luxury to me.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'm legitimately not sure you can make an argument that Deone Buchanon is the reason why the Arizona Cardinals' defense has success.  It's a luxury to me.

Cardinals allowed three point less than our defense did with the NFL sack leader, Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Matheiu, but Buchanon is the answer. 

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Let's play this out.  Series of questions.  No paragraphs.  One sentence questions/answers challenge:

1. Where do you find this E. Kendricks/D. Jones type?
2. How much do they cost?
3. What does it take to get them?
4. Will getting this player effect our ability to get a pass rusher?
5. Is a pass rusher more or less important than a pass coverage ILB?
6. Was or was Morgan Burnett not, essentially, a coverage ILB for us last year? 

First off I didn't say we needed to acquire them

1)Draft

2)rookie deal

3)above

4)Affect no because this is a past tense thread 2015 draft

5) This is obvious as rush, but not a topic we were discussing

6) By default & how great was he? Be better to have a guy at ILB that stays on field & can cover so Burnett stays in his true position

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Here are the stat lines of two Inside Linebackers:

LB A: 67 Solo/9 TFL/1 Sack/6 PD/1 INT/1 FF

LB B 96 Solo/12 TFL/1 Sack/ 8 PD/1 INT/1FF

A is Kendricks

B is Martinez

++++++++++++++++

And what the hell kind of pants-on-head, idiot logic doesn't see you pulling your ILBs on clear passing downs?

If your argument is that first and second down are mixed downs in the NFL that you need to be able to cover, that's a fine train of thought, but the idea that you're going to keep your ILBs on the field on 3rd down because . . . [I actually can't think of a reason] . . . is just awful.

When you draft a difference maker & ILB like say Roquon Smith you think you're pulling him on 3rd down? Jones @ ATL? No they thrive & make plays in that setting

Allows the rest of the defense play their actual positions of strength 

Thanks for asking you can take your pants off your head now

7 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Cardinals allowed three point less than our defense did with the NFL sack leader, Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Matheiu, but Buchanon is the answer. 

Really ? That's what you got out of this conversation ? Are you actually defending our defense that ranked 32nd in like 10 major categories ? It's not the way of the future for nothing

Just now, cannondale said:

Really ? That's what you got out of this conversation ? Are you actually defending our defense that ranked 32nd in like 10 major categories ? 

I'm saying the Cardinals are a better defense because they have an all-pro safety/nickleback and one of the best corners in the league, plus one of the best pass rushers in the league.  Not because they have a fast inside linebacker. 

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Agreed here, I think the Buchanan thing is just as lackluster as playing Burnett out of his natural position 

Archived