Top 5 Most Disappointing Steelers of 2017

JustPlainNasty

46 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

I'm sure the injury played a major part in his play and in the defense in general.   If he's getting back surgery, that speaks to the struggles he dealt with throughout the season.  

I just hope he can recover. Back surgery is no bueno. 

On 1/22/2018 at 10:20 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Yeah, he was garbage, and I completely agree.     Such a letdown.   I was expecting him to breakout this year, but instead, he killed whatever faith I had left in him.   

Hard to disagree with any of this.   

I dont recall many Steeler fans being happy with this.

Then again, outside of Jalen Ramsey, none of the first round CBs from that draft have been too impressive.   

Im not so much disappointed with his play as I am with him in general.

I cant see him going to the Pats.   They dont pay FAs like him.     I see Bell signing with a team like the Colts, 49ers or even the Browns.

Not a disappointment at all.

That would imply I was hopeful he would be good.   I wasnt.   Thought he was garbage coming into the season, and in that regard....he DIDNT disappoint.  

If anything, Id put Sean Davis here.

Again, never thought highly of him.

I like your list, but mine would be...

1.  Dupree
2.  Burns
3.  Gilbert
4.  Tuitt
5.  Davis (would be higher, but didnt have much faith in him, either)

Sorry, but I never like this line of thinking.     

There are a locker room full of guys who fall in line, but because Bell is a diva and Dupree is just an idiot....thats on Tomlin?  At what point is Tomlin not responsible for how grown men act?     Is he also responsible for all the other times Bell acted like an idiot?   is he responsible for Ben's past transgressions?    Not really trying to be a smartass, but Im just trying to figure out when these guys are responsible for their own actions as grown ups and Tomlin isnt viewed as a life coach.

I can agree with all of this.  

I agree about Sean Davis being a disappointment as well this past season, there definitely was regression. I liked him coming out and thought he wasnt given enough credit for what all was asked of him as a rookie so i tend to be forgiving, I will hold him to the flame this upcoming season however. 

As for the Tomlin thing, very much agree to disagree. One guy says something no big deal, when the culture of your team is a weekly rap battle dissing one another and making headlines publicly in various ways you got issues with a lack of disrespect for both yourself and your team. No other team in the league had even close to the amount of bull**** this team had this year. Petty stuff in the media, even the head coach saying foolish things, his bravado got way ahead of him. I realize/felt the Dungy interview was a respect thing to give Dungy a good interview , but respect or not his first regard should be for his team and ownership..think he would've learned from the infamous Gladiator quote. 

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I agree about Sean Davis being a disappointment as well this past season, there definitely was regression. I liked him coming out and thought he wasnt given enough credit for what all was asked of him as a rookie so i tend to be forgiving, I will hold him to the flame this upcoming season however. 

As for the Tomlin thing, very much agree to disagree. One guy says something no big deal, when the culture of your team is a weekly rap battle dissing one another and making headlines publicly in various ways you got issues with a lack of disrespect for both yourself and your team. No other team in the league had even close to the amount of bull**** this team had this year. Petty stuff in the media, even the head coach saying foolish things, his bravado got way ahead of him. I realize/felt the Dungy interview was a respect thing to give Dungy a good interview , but respect or not his first regard should be for his team and ownership..think he would've learned from the infamous Gladiator quote. 

What is all the ish this team had this year that Tomlin was really at fault for?

If you want to knock on him for things he said. so be it.    Im never a fan of nitpicking things coaches say during interviews, especially when its alot of canned responses or just soundbytes for the media....but at the very least, youre blaming him for something that can be directly attributed to him.

Beyond that, what were all the things he should be blamed for in regards to the distractions?

And the criticisms against Tomlin isnt really my main issues....its the constant one-sidedness of certain general complaints about him....

Defense plays well, he gets zero credit.   Defense plays like crap....its pretty much all on him.
Offense plays well, its all Ben, AB and Bell.   Offense plays like crap...its Tomlin's fault for not taking control over Haley.

And in this case....

Team had distractions and its on Tomlin....but zero credit given to him for the team going 13-3 in light of those supposed distractions.

Ive never seen you be blatantly unfair in your criticisms of Tomlin, so Im not calling you out....but I am very curious about how Tomlin is at fault for some of these distractions, and why he isnt getting credit for the success we DID have this year.    Losing in the playoffs casts a cloud over the rest of the season, especially when there were some poor coaching decisions in that game that Tomlin should absolutely be blamed for.....but you still have to be able to look at everything objectively.  

Tomlin is the HC, it starts from there. 

13-3  with many game winning FG's and a very weak schedule, do the math and we could have been 9-7. Doesn't matter though, it's what happens in the playoffs and we were 1 and dud.

This team can carry on like this and still have a decent record and might win a playoff game vs a titans or bills like team. Talent alone with tolerable coaching , they can do that. 

Tomlin is my most disappointing steeler this year hands down.  The fact he took over the D at the end should have sent butler to the unemployed line but he isn't so what is that anyways ?

If they don't trade dupree , expect dupree on here next year as well as colbert

Mike Mitchell - he sucks

Sean Davis - he sucks

Bud Dupree - he's an athlete, not a football player

Le'Veon Bell - held out, was a distraction, and runs his mouth about contract during playoffs

Martavis Bryant - didn't do much, and that is because he's a headcase as well

Marcus Gilbert - hurt way too much and takes up way too much cap space

Artie Burns - never did think he was much

Big Ben - for a good portion of the season he didn't look good at all, but at least he did towards the end to give the team a chance when the D fell apart without Shazier

The coaches.  They all suck.  Consistently outcoached and the team was consistently not playing up to the talent level of the players.  $hitcan them all.  Except Mike Munchak.  

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

13-3  with many game winning FG's and a very weak schedule, do the math and we could have been 9-7. Doesn't matter though, it's what happens in the playoffs and we were 1 and dud.

This team can carry on like this and still have a decent record and might win a playoff game vs a titans or bills like team. Talent alone with tolerable coaching , they can do that. 

Tomlin is my most disappointing steeler this year hands down.  The fact he took over the D at the end should have sent butler to the unemployed line but he isn't so what is that anyways ?

Exactly.

22 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Except we DIDNT go 9-7....we went 13-3.

We couldve also went 15-1 if you want to look at all the close games.

Tomlin absolutely deserves blame for many of the shortcomings of this team.   I dont think anyone that isnt a blind homer would deny that.

But all youre doing is proving my point.    Certain people on here are completely and utterly incapable of looking at anything but the negatives when it comes to Tomlin, and I refuse to take those people seriously.    Does that mean I dont take people seriously who criticize or simply dont like Tomlin?  No.....but as Ive said a million times, its easy to see the people who are level headed, logical and objective.....and the people who kneejerk and bash Tomlin for everything while giving him credit for nothing.   These are are the same people that, even if we did fire Tomlin and hired a new coach, would be crying that the new coach should be fired immediately if they werent amazing coaches from the get go.

35 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

But all youre doing is proving my point.    Certain people on here are completely and utterly incapable of looking at anything but the negatives when it comes to Tomlin, and I refuse to take those people seriously.    Does that mean I dont take people seriously who criticize or simply dont like Tomlin?  No.....but as Ive said a million times, its easy to see the people who are level headed, logical and objective.....and the people who kneejerk and bash Tomlin for everything while giving him credit for nothing.   These are are the same people that, even if we did fire Tomlin and hired a new coach, would be crying that the new coach should be fired immediately if they werent amazing coaches from the get go.

I wish I could “like” this 100 times. The amount of blind homerism and blind hatred that we have is ridiculous.

Meanwhile, Mike Tomlin is soaking in his Pro Bowl experience. It's an honor.

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

These are are the same people that, even if we did fire Tomlin and hired a new coach, would be crying that the new coach should be fired immediately if they werent amazing coaches from the get go.

I gave Tomlin until 2014 when he got Gradkowski'ed after turtling late in his own end. The season that ended getting embarrassed by Baltimore.

32 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Meanwhile, Mike Tomlin is soaking in his Pro Bowl experience. It's an honor.

I gave Tomlin until 2014 when he got Gradkowski'ed after turtling late in his own end. The season that ended getting embarrassed by Baltimore.

And what else is he supposed to say? Lol. I swear this is one of those things @FourThreeMafia is talking about. Your knocking him over playing the PC Card. 

Honestly just one of these times I would love to see and yes I get that it doesn't happen that nobody really doesn't but I would love to see Mike Tomlin just come out and say you know what I did a ****y job when it came to managing this game we lost because I took time out that stupid times I made stupid decisions on 4th down I made stupid decisions when it came to going or not going for a two-point conversion I am responsible for the decisions that affected this game in a negative way. I would just love for once to see him take responsibility as a head coach for anything instead of pointing the finger at somebody else like he always does and saying that famous line of his the standard is the standard. Because as of right now it doesn't appear that his standard is very high

The other major issue in the biggest disappointment for me this season has got to be the decision-making by the front office. Yet again we saw them make a trade this season sending a 4th round pick 2 San Francisco 49ers for Vance McDonald, and yes while Vance McDonald did add some quality to our tight end position I don't think that he added so much that it necessarily warranted trading for him. It's already expected that you won't be on the roster next season although that is not a foregone conclusion. But should he not be on the roster it will be at least the third player that we have traded for over the last two seasons giving up draft picks to acquire that is no longer on the roster. Now would we have gotten something better than Vance McDonald's in the draft with a 4th round pick I don't know but you can also just as easily argue that we would have and if you believe that we could have gotten something more valuable than a backup tight end in the fourth round then it makes it a bad trade if you do not resign Vance McDonald. We have already missed on some valuable players and positions in the draft so it is my opinion that we cannot afford to give up draft picks at the risk of losing those players that we traded for and continuing to miss on draft picks. From that perspective the front office to me is just as disappointing only because and from the perspective that we are headed into the offseason

On 1/28/2018 at 3:26 PM, wwhickok said:

The other major issue in the biggest disappointment for me this season has got to be the decision-making by the front office. Yet again we saw them make a trade this season sending a 4th round pick 2 San Francisco 49ers for Vance McDonald, and yes while Vance McDonald did add some quality to our tight end position I don't think that he added so much that it necessarily warranted trading for him. It's already expected that you won't be on the roster next season although that is not a foregone conclusion. But should he not be on the roster it will be at least the third player that we have traded for over the last two seasons giving up draft picks to acquire that is no longer on the roster. Now would we have gotten something better than Vance McDonald's in the draft with a 4th round pick I don't know but you can also just as easily argue that we would have and if you believe that we could have gotten something more valuable than a backup tight end in the fourth round then it makes it a bad trade if you do not resign Vance McDonald. We have already missed on some valuable players and positions in the draft so it is my opinion that we cannot afford to give up draft picks at the risk of losing those players that we traded for and continuing to miss on draft picks. From that perspective the front office to me is just as disappointing only because and from the perspective that we are headed into the offseason

We sent our late 4th...the 28th pick of the 4th round approximately #128  for the 49ers 5th round pick  #9 or #10 of the 5th  which will be like #148 and got Vance McDonald. So we lost 20 spots and got a potential weapon, he wasnt great but made some plays. In the end the only concern is the money we took on when it came to McDonald.

That same front office jumped on Joe Haden and got him here. The JJ Wilcox trade was a good attempt but would be the one that will probably look worse in the end. 

They also brought in Tyson Alualu who was a great/almost perfect fit and a steal.

So we worsened our draft position for a player that had an average impact and likely wont be on the team next season. Seems wasteful to me. I hope Vance is back and i dont personally view TE as a significant need. Coul we upgrade? Absolutely but i like what we have in James and McDonald if he stays. I just dont agree with continuing to make trades for stopgap players 

Archived