TCMD Discussion!!

EaglesPeteC

Just now, ny92jefferis said:

I wouldn't of had any issues drafting Barkley at 3 IF I had a better younger offensive line.  Nelson helps where the team struggled the most over the past few years.  Where Barkley would likely end up on IR because of the beating he would of taken trying to create his own running lanes.

Nelson fits my needs and while some would disagree, he's the best offensive lineman in this draft making the value at 3 worth it.

I still think that Nelson is a good pick. I'd grade it as a B+ pick. Only reason I don't give it an A is because I like Barkley a little more. 

Just now, LuckyNumber11 said:

I still think that Nelson is a good pick. I'd grade it as a B+ pick. Only reason I don't give it an A is because I like Barkley a little more. 

Well we won't be counting your grades then...

Nelson is an A++    +

5 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Basically all I'm saying is that they could be missing out on the next big thing in Barkley. Not saying at all that Nelson isn't a good pick, he is, but I just think Barkley is going to be more impactful throughout his career. 

We'll see. The Giants have had OL issues for too long. Nelson is a great step towards fixing it. I'm not sure I want Barkley behind a bad OL, he doesn't make good decisions when someone fills the hole or if there's penetration in the backfield.

Side note, the people that said Levi Brown was "safe" don't know what "safe" is. It's hard to find tape from 2006, but I suggest you try to find some and compare Quenton Nelson to Levi Brown. There isn't really much of a comparison. 

2 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

He doesn't know how to read zone blocking very well so he's lot riskier than people realize.

The Draft is much more of a dice roll than the overwhelming majority of people understand. There are borderline countless factors that are overlooked, some of them related to football directly, some not, that help determine how players A through Z pan out. It's why I'm not into over-touting any specific prospect, including the ones I will eventually draft myself.

Just now, PurpleMugen said:

The Draft is much more of a dice roll than the overwhelming majority of people understand. There are borderline countless factors that are overlooked, some of them related to football directly, some not, that help determine how players A through Z pan out. It's why I'm not into over-touting any specific prospect, including the ones I will eventually draft myself.

Except for all the ones who I draft, all of them are guaranteed superstars.

2 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

We'll see. The Giants have had OL issues for too long. Nelson is a great step towards fixing it. I'm not sure I want Barkley behind a bad OL, he doesn't make good decisions when someone fills the hole or if there's penetration in the backfield.

Side note, the people that said Levi Brown was "safe" don't know what "safe" is. It's hard to find tape from 2006, but I suggest you try to find some and compare Quenton Nelson to Levi Brown. There isn't really much of a comparison. 

Right....Brandon Scheff was safe imo.  

10 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

My apologies, so you gave up a 1st next year, a 2nd this year, and 2 5ths for a guy to sit behind Ben, who could still play for a couple more years. I still don't like the move for Pittsburgh, just my opinion though.

I do like that you probably snagged Baker from Miami. 

The last second trade was to snag from Miami if that’s what they were doing. 

I think of it this way. Roethlisberger could retire at the end of next season or the year after if he wanted to. I remember when the Packers drafted Rodgers in the first and he sat behind Favre for 3 years. I would rather get my guy, let him learn and be set at QB for the next 10-15 years than have Big Ben retire and us scramble to come up with a solution down the line. Get the guy now and develop him to take over. 

Just wanted to ask your guys opinion.  A crazy idea as a contingency plan if Saquon Barkley was not available was to pick Quenton Nelson and possibly move him to Tackle due to Joe Thomas being on the brink of retirement.  He has the size at 6'5" 325.  It was either that or look for a trade down.  Does anyone think he can play tackle?  Was it a crazy idea to even consider it?

Peace!!!

1 minute ago, cortes02 said:

Just wanted to ask your guys opinion.  A crazy idea as a contingency plan if Saquon Barkley was not available was to pick Quenton Nelson and possibly move him to Tackle due to Joe Thomas being on the brink of retirement.  He has the size at 6'5" 325.  It was either that or look for a trade down.  Does anyone think he can play tackle?  Was it a crazy idea to even consider it?

Peace!!!

He sure has the size to play tackle, but what would you prefer an ok tackle or an elite guard with All-Pro potencial.

4 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

Peace!!!

Not a good idea. He is built for the inside line. He has the size to play anywhere but that's not the point, guards have very different responsibilities than tackles do from a mental standpoint, Nelson has ridiculous awareness, he reads the center and tackle mid-play to adjust blitz pickups and free running lanes that weren't appropriately blocked. Tackles do all of that to a miniscule degree in comparison. People seem to love position switching in mocks but it's usually simplistic.

1 minute ago, cortes02 said:

Peace!!!

Not crazy at all. I've heard several analysts suggest it. I mean try him at LT and if it doesn't work move him inside. If your taking a player that high, try to see if he can play in the most valuable position first is not a bad idea.

I don't remember what the Giants have done in free agency but the good thing about having a poor O-line is it can be upgraded with 2nd and 3rd round linemen. The difference between Nelson and Hernandez is less than the difference between Barkley and Darkwa. 

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

I don't remember what the Giants have done in free agency but the good thing about having a poor O-line is it can be upgraded with 2nd and 3rd round linemen. The difference between Nelson and Hernandez is less than the difference between Barkley and Darkwa. 

Who's to say Hernandez isn't taken in the late first.  Agree or not, I'd make the same pick next week.  I value Nelson over Barkley...it's that simple.

Archived