TCMD 2018 GB Packer WAR ROOM (pick 232= Riley Ferguson, QB Memphis)

squire12

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What's the difference? A stud pass rusher is a stud pass rusher.

Because I'm not convinced he's the solution to the answers like you think he is.  And given his high price tag and impending FA, it's a bigger question than I think you're making it out to be.  Quality pass rushers rarely come available, so why is Houston so willing to move on from him?  Especially given the recent injury concerns with JJ Watt.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:
3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Didn't they move him to DL, not OLB in Houston?

What's the difference? A stud pass rusher is a stud pass rusher.

Yep. He would play the rush in our defense, but it kind of misplaces Nick Perry. Perry or Clowney could go inside in the pressure package. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

Because I'm not convinced he's the solution to the answers like you think he is.  And given his high price tag and impending FA, it's a bigger question than I think you're making it out to be.  Quality pass rushers rarely come available, so why is Houston so willing to move on from him?  Especially given the recent injury concerns with JJ Watt.

Because they don't think they can afford him, and it's not a real league lol

Just now, CWood21 said:

Because this guy isn't the GM of the Texans? If Gutey called up and asked for Clowney I'm sure he'd get a good laugh out of the Texans FO. My guess? Their GM wants more draft capital.

He's a stud, not only as a pass rusher but he's probably the best run defending edge in the NFL. Not wanting him is about the same as turning down Jalen Ramsey or Aaron Donald.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

The TCMD GM for HOU has traded Clowney in previous versions.  You have to think of this outside of the real NFL situation and more as a fan that is running other teams.   Why they are doing it is less important.  Maybe Clowney wants out of HOU after his contract is up.  

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Because this guy isn't the GM of the Texans? If Gutey called up and asked for Clowney I'm sure he'd get a good laugh out of the Texans FO. My guess? Their GM wants more draft capital.

He's a stud, not only as a pass rusher but he's probably the best run defending edge in the NFL. Not wanting him is about the same as turning down Jalen Ramsey or Aaron Donald.

9.5 sacks is decent production, but at the cost that we're going to have to give up to get him is a bigger question.  Comparing him to Ramsey or Donald is a farce, and you know it.

3 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:
4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

GB could afford Clowney for 2018 and then Clowney replaces Matthews cap hit after that.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

9.5 sacks is decent production, but at the cost that we're going to have to give up to get him is a bigger question.  Comparing him to Ramsey or Donald is a farce, and you know it.

No it's not. Sack numbers as the be all end all? Come on you know there's so much more to that. Is Ziggy Ansah better then? He had more sacks.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No it's not. Sack numbers as the be all end all? Come on you know there's so much more to that. Is Ziggy Ansah better then? He had more sacks.

I'm not saying it's the end-all, be-all but it's part of the discussion.  If you want to go off with the fantasy land move and move Clowney go right ahead, I'm just not convinced it's this no-brainer that you seem to indicate he is.  If he's halfway as good as you claim he's going to be, he's going to get paid a TON.  You're paying the premium on the contract as well as the draft pick you're giving up.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:
6 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:
7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

GB could afford Clowney for 2018 and then Clowney replaces Matthews cap hit after that.

Well yeah we can afford him. I meant Houston doesn't think they can afford to keep him. 

But looking at their cap.. they need a lot of work on the OL and they have very little cap allocated to the secondary. They think Watt and Mercilus is enough to have a top tier pass rush, and I tend to agree with them. Clowney is a luxury they could use to free cap up to get some pieces they need

I'm not saying it's the end-all, be-all but it's part of the discussion.  If you want to go off with the fantasy land move and move Clowney go right ahead, I'm just not convinced it's this no-brainer that you seem to indicate he is.  If he's halfway as good as you claim he's going to be, he's going to get paid a TON.  You're paying the premium on the contract as well as the draft pick you're giving up.

See this is why I don't love it. I don't want to give up both 14 and Bulaga. Not saying he isn't worth that, it's just hard giving up 14 when, in this scenario, he will be a FA next year and we could go after him then

When are the Green Bay Packers with Aaron Rodgers going to get any shot at a Clowney besides paying fair compensation via trade?

Rodgers would have to miss a full season for that to happen.

1 minute ago, JBURGE25 said:

See this is why I don't love it. I don't want to give up both 14 and Bulaga. Not saying he isn't worth that, it's just hard giving up 14 when, in this scenario, he will be a FA next year and we could go after him then

And that's the issue with these mock drafts.  There's no value on the future.  I mean, none at all.  If you want to go for this "all-in" mentality it makes sense.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

When are the Green Bay Packers with Aaron Rodgers going to get any shot at a Clowney besides paying fair compensation via trade?

Rodgers would have to miss a full season for that to happen.

Because I'm not even sure that the Texans would do 14+Bulaga for Clowney.  Has Houston actually offered that?

Archived