TCMD - Frequently Asked Questions (OPEN)

ny92mike

32 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

I willing to work something out, but as I said before it can't bypass the tender offer sheet.  

If that means reworking the compensation of 2 first to something more manageable for a single year mock draft or delaying the time frame of being allowed to tag n trade to after the offer sheet deadline has expired to work out a trade.  Whatever that is I'm just not going to allow tag n trades without some recourse, otherwise every team in this mock draft is going to take advantage of it and tag players with the purpose of trading them.  

@MKnight82

Does this work.  Let me know so I'm not wasting my time working out the details of this.

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Does what work?  There are no details in that post only generalities.

In past mock drafts I had changed the compensation values of the non-exec tag to the following:

The old team will receive a minimum value of 1000 pts based on the draft pick value chart.  The deal must contain a minimum of one first round pick, however, should the value of that first round pick not equal 1000 pts the new team will continue to add draft picks from the current year and/or (if the old team agrees) future draft stock until the 1000 pts is reached.

This would allow a team to provide compensation under the Tender offer sheet rules without being forced to offer 2 first round picks.

I'm also willing to allow the team to trade the tagged player, after the deadline for the tender offer sheet has expired.  Only for tagged players though, not willing to give this same option to other fa agent tenders.

For the timeframe, it would need to be done after the deadline to tender offers, I'm thinking during the 3rd phase which is between the 3rd and 4th rounds of FA.

Honestly I don't even like the idea of being able to trade tagged players, it wasn't what the tag was created for and it is such a rare event for a team to manage it that it just opens up the door for teams to start abusing it.  If I allow it, I want to make it difficult for teams that pursue it.

The current rule of not allowing tag and trades has never been an issue.  Since it was brought up there has been several pages of back and forth with no real answer to it.

3 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

In past mock drafts I had changed the compensation values of the non-exec tag to the following:

The old team will receive a minimum value of 1000 pts based on the draft pick value chart.  The deal must contain a minimum of one first round pick, however, should the value of that first round pick not equal 1000 pts the new team will continue to add draft picks from the current year and/or (if the old team agrees) future draft stock until the 1000 pts is reached.

This would allow a team to provide compensation under the Tender offer sheet rules without being forced to offer 2 first round picks.

I'm also willing to allow the team to trade the tagged player, after the deadline for the tender offer sheet has expired.  Only for tagged players though, not willing to give this same option to other fa agent tenders.

For the timeframe, it would need to be done after the deadline to tender offers, I'm thinking during the 3rd phase which is between the 3rd and 4th rounds of FA.

Honestly I don't even like the idea of being able to trade tagged players, it wasn't what the tag was created for and it is such a rare event for a team to manage it that it just opens up the door for teams to start abusing it.  If I allow it, I want to make it difficult for teams that pursue it.

The current rule of not allowing tag and trades has never been an issue.  Since it was brought up there has been several pages of back and forth with no real answer to it.

The trade value min should be lowered to around 560 points, or a single first round pick.

when you say 3rd phase do you mean 3rd round of FA?  Why that date?

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

The trade value min should be lowered to around 560 points, or a single first round pick.

when you say 3rd phase do you mean 3rd round of FA?  Why that date?

2nd round value is too low.

The tag was created to give teams more time to work out a long term deal, as well as to keep teams from doing tag and trades.  1000 is a fair number, roughly the 16th pick and if the team doesn't have a pick that high, they can add the current years picks to get it there, basically the 1st and 2nd round pick (depending on how low the pick is).

In this deal you're trying to work out with Denver, they would need to give you their 1st pick valued at 1700, if you wanted to give them your first valued at 1150, you've now devalued the compensation required by a difference of 550, which I'm assuming why you picked 560.  

Yes the 3rd phase is after the 3rd round of fa bidding.  I selected this date because I've already got a slot open for things taking place so I wouldn't need to change the dates of the schedule and that if you are looking to tag a player with the sole intention of trading that player, which I don't agree with, you should be forced to carry that huge tag amount during at least part of the free agency period.

6 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

2nd round value is too low.

The tag was created to give teams more time to work out a long term deal, as well as to keep teams from doing tag and trades.  1000 is a fair number, roughly the 16th pick and if the team doesn't have a pick that high, they can add the current years picks to get it there, basically the 1st and 2nd round pick (depending on how low the pick is).

In this deal you're trying to work out with Denver, they would need to give you their 1st pick valued at 1700, if you wanted to give them your first valued at 1150, you've now devalued the compensation required by a difference of 550, which I'm assuming why you picked 560.  

Yes the 3rd phase is after the 3rd round of fa bidding.  I selected this date because I've already got a slot open for things taking place so I wouldn't need to change the dates of the schedule and that if you are looking to tag a player with the sole intention of trading that player, which I don't agree with, you should be forced to carry that huge tag amount during at least part of the free agency period.

560 points is pick 32 value, or required 1st round pick.  That's the minimum.  So the minimum is first round pick or equal value.  How is that not reasonable?  

No I picked 560 because Matt Cassel was traded off a tag for pick #34, which is a historic comparable.  If you're so hung up on this "denver deal" know that our war room has already rejected it and will be looking for higher compensation. 

3rd phase is too harsh of a penalty.  1st phase should be enough (meaning you can trade before the start of 2nd round).  Carrying the that penalty into the first phase when most of the high dollar guys are signed should be penalty enough.  

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

560 points is pick 32 value, or required 1st round pick.  That's the minimum.  So the minimum is first round pick or equal value.  How is that not reasonable?  

No I picked 560 because Matt Cassel was traded off a tag for pick #34, which is a historic comparable.  If you're so hung up on this "denver deal" know that our war room has already rejected it and will be looking for higher compensation. 

3rd phase is too harsh of a penalty.  1st phase should be enough (meaning you can trade before the start of 2nd round).  Carrying the that penalty into the first phase when most of the high dollar guys are signed should be penalty enough.  

560pts is pick 34 value according to walterfootball which is 2nd round value.

I feel that what I'm offering is fair.

1000 pts from two first round picks is a drastic reduction in compensation.

Carrying the tagged players salary until after the 3rd round is a deterrent.  I don't agree with allowing teams the option to tag and trade, as I consider it gaming the system which is why it has been a rule since the first mock.  To change it now doesn't make sense because it just opens up the ability for every team to start doing it and that is never what the tag was designed for.

1 minute ago, ny92jefferis said:

I feel that what I'm offering is fair.

1000 pts from two first round picks is a drastic reduction in compensation.

Carrying the tagged players salary until after the 3rd round is a deterrent.  I don't agree with allowing teams the option to tag and trade, as I consider it gaming the system which is why it has been a rule since the first mock.  To change it now doesn't make sense because it just opens up the ability for every team to start doing it and that is never what the tag was designed for.

1000 points is the #16 pick in the draft.  That's too high, you have to understand people on this website are obsessed with the draft and seriously overvalue draft picks.  No one will ever make a deal for that much.  Sorry I miskpoke it should be 590 not 560.  590 points is first round value (#32 overall).  That's just a minimum, obviously more can be traded.  

You deterrent only hampers teams with low cap, plenty of teams have tons of cap space.  One week should be enough.  

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I want to point out that Jadeveon Clowney was traded last year in a ridiculous trade in this mock.  Trades will happen, limiting them on franchised players just isn't fair.  

Ummmm... exquise me?  o.O

Uhh... I have traded Clowney pretty much every year of TCMD... that trade was not ridiculous (and once both sides explained the logic... it made more sense to all IIRC)

Now when I acquired Earl Thomas from the Seahawks... that trade was ridiculous (but at that point we had all dissolved into a pit of madness) ;)

Archived