TCMD - Frequently Asked Questions (OPEN)

ny92mike

20 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Looking at the series of events from the Jared Allen trade, NFL free agency was in Feb 2008.  He was in early April 2008, before the 2008 Draft that happened on April 26, 2008 (because the Vikings gave up picks in that draft).  Whether that timeline was due to any rule or due to the Chiefs taking their time trying to maximize trade value I can't say.  The Vikings announced a contract extension with Allen once the deal was complete (so same year).

Matt Cassel was traded February 28, 2009.  Here was the schedule in 2009:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/176619-2009-nfl-key-dates

• February 5 — The first opportunity for clubs to designate franchise and transition players.
  • February 8 —  AFC-NFC Pro Bowl, Honolulu, Hawaii (NBC) – This is the game that no one watches or cares about. The players will get their last Hawaiin vacation in the 2009 All-Star game as all future Pro Bowls will be held in the Super Bowl city the week prior to the big game’s festiviities.
  • February 18-24 — NFL Scouting Combine, Indianapolis, Indiana – The NFL’s annual pro prospect poking and prodding event
  • February 19 — Deadline for clubs to designate franchise and transition players.
  • February 26 — Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to their restricted free agents (fewer than 3 years of free agency credit) whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation.
  • February 27 — Veteran free agency signing and Trading periods begin

So Cassel was able to be traded once free agency began.  That appears to be the rule.  

I haven't read to page 19 yet but the discussion about tag and trading is silly. The mock rule of no tag and trading is the correct one. What you are overlooking is that one of the few things the union got in the last CBA is the independent right to veto trades of tagged players. Philosophically they are against tagging and trading as it reduces the freedom of movement of players who have completed their contracts. So the NFLPA can veto trades regardless of what the player or teams want and will do so. Your examples all took place under prior CBAs. 

14 hours ago, ny92jefferis said:

I will say that I don't agree with the tender compensation of 2 first round picks and would be happy to reduce that requirement.  Simply because the need to have that much compensation is almost impossible to get in these mock drafts.

That would be a mistake. Let's keep the rules for the mock the same as real life. Teams rarely give up 2 first round picks for a player so if nobody in the mock signs another team's franchised player, that's realistic at least. 

10 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

That would be a mistake. Let's keep the rules for the mock the same as real life. Teams rarely give up 2 first round picks for a player so if nobody in the mock signs another team's franchised player, that's realistic at least. 

I've decided I'm not going to make any changes to the guidelines this year, and will leave discussion for this to continue after this mock draft is over.

I forgot to ask but what's the status of AJ McCarron in the mock? He's scheduled to be a RFA but has a grievance pending saying he should be a UFA. The grievance hearing is in a couple of weeks so I'm not sure there will be a resolution before we start. 

8 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I forgot to ask but what's the status of AJ McCarron in the mock? He's scheduled to be a RFA but has a grievance pending saying he should be a UFA. The grievance hearing is in a couple of weeks so I'm not sure there will be a resolution before we start. 

I'll likely lean toward what otc list him as but I'll review it and get back to you.  

I plan to get the motorcycle out today pending the wind but will be getting back on schedule with the workbooks, still a lot to get done.  Starting to feel the heat now.

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If the mock is going to have these ridiculous restrictions on franchised players then I’m not interested in participating.  I’m resigning as redskins GM.  Have fun guys.

That's fine, glad you informed us early enough to find a replacement.

29 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If the mock is going to have these ridiculous restrictions on franchised players then I’m not interested in participating.  I’m resigning as redskins GM.  Have fun guys.

Rules are rules,  i will gladly take the team.

Archived