The 2018 NFL Draft could be one of the greatest in NFL history

VanS

45 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

The top end talent sucks.  

Its amazing you said that because I think the top end talent in this class is the best we've seen since 2011.  Significantly better than last year when I thought I lot of questionable picks were made early on.

I like most of the players being projected to go high.  Especially Sam Darnold, Saquon Barkley, Josh Rosen, Quenton Nelson, Marcus Davenport, Bradley Chubb, Vita Vea, Tremaine Edmunds, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Derwin James.  I've seen all these guys projected to go in the top 10-15 picks and I think all have All-Pro/Pro-Bowl potential.

1 hour ago, VanS said:

I've looked into that draft.  I watch college football so I have a general idea of the top prospects in that class how they stack up.  I'm personally not impressed. 

Of the guys you named I'm only really high on Ed Oliver (reminds me of NFL Hall of Famer John Randle) and Dexter Lawrence (reminds me of 90s Raiders DT Darren Russell).  Clelin Ferrell reminds me of Greg Ellis.  Great physical specimen but I don't think he'll play up his body.  Bosa and Gary both look solid but not special.  Rashan Gary could be special if he was willing to play 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE.  But he's seem hell bent on being a 4-3 DE and I don't think he has the skill set to play that at a high level.

With that said, the d-line is strong next year.  I just don't see much beyond that.  Who are the standout QBs, RBs, and WRs?  Who are the standout CBs, LBs, and safeties?  Is the offensive line any good?

2019 draft has way more questions than answers.  One position group doesn't make it a great draft.

Bosa, Gary, Oliver, Wilkins, and Lawrence are as good as it gets as pro prospects 

If they dont impress you your not gonna be impressed you might not get to watch that much Big 10 football or something but they're special 

Besides that I'm not sure about 2019 I'm just say those prospects are elite and 2019 will have more elite level talent than this year outside of the QBs

2018 will be the year of the QB it already is and theres alot of depth throughout it 

But outside of Barkley the only other semi elite talents right now are Minkah, Chubb, and in my opinion Key

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Bosa, Gary, Oliver, Wilkins, and Lawrence are as good as it gets as pro prospects 

If they dont impress you your not gonna be impressed you might not get to watch that much Big 10 football or something but they're special 

Besides that I'm not sure about 2019 I'm just say those prospects are elite and 2019 will have more elite level talent than this year outside of the QBs

2018 will be the year of the QB it already is and theres alot of depth throughout it 

But outside of Barkley the only other semi elite talents right now are Minkah, Chubb, and in my opinion Key

We'll just have to agree to disagree then because I only find Oliver and Lawrence to be elite generational talents.  The other 3 guys are just okay.  And IMO a few great players don't make a draft.

I've watched enough Big 10 football.  This has nothing to do with conferences.  There just isn't as much talent projected to come out in 2019 as we've seen in 2017 and 2018.  Those are the defining drafts of this era like 2010 and 2011 have been the defining drafts of the last 10 years.

I couldnt possibly disagree with this thread more. 

This is a pretty weak draft, especially at the top.      The depth at certain positions is really good, but all around, this may be one of the weaker drafts ON PAPER

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

But there aren't any great ILB prospects

Really ? Time i didn't see that much quality. Roquan Smith, Rashaan Evans, Darius Leonard, Tremaine Edmunds 43OLB or 34ILB to me. All are 1st rounders. Then good pros like Jefferson, Baker, Jewell, VanDerEsch, then guys like Burks, Kizer, DeLuca, Thomas.

17 hours ago, VanS said:

This is the year you want to have a lot of picks in the draft IMO.

Looks like the plan Sashi Brown had !

And like you im very excited by this class ! RBs very deep, TEs very deep, ILBs very deep, Gs great top 5 (Nelson, Wynn, Price, Smith, Hernandez), need a center ? There is. Want an OT ? There's much more than last year. WRs no superstar except Ridley but a bunch of guys who will play in the NFL, Safeties there is a lot. CBs there's some but not a great class and i disagree with you about the Dline, next year class will be much better at DE and DT. But that draft is loaded ! And...Did we talk yet about the most important position ? Nobody can tell the success they'll have or not but in term of potential having Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield means a GREAT class to me. Add then Lamar, Rudolph, Lauletta and White, Falk

Just now, zappa13004 said:

And i could not disagree more with you :)

Fair enough.    

Everyone has their own unique views of players.

For instance, there are 5 or 6 projected 1st round QBs.   Personally, I only think 2 of them are actually WORTH first round picks and only one of them IMO is even remotely worth taking in the top 5.     One of them I personally believe shouldnt be drafted until day 3 or very late day 2.   

21 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Fair enough

You know what ? Just opened the site again because it was still on my mind and i did open the page to change a word to type "i could not disagree more with your opinion". Not "with you" .Because it is what we talk about. My opinion, your opinion. I do not have the truth. That is obvious but i mean im aware of that but not everybody seem to be ! Glad to see you share that mindset with me. So we'll see and i dont care those who did post comments like "lets wait a year or two bla bla" because OF COURSE we have to wait and see how it goes for them. Whats the topic ? The Draft right ? So it cant be anything else than talking about potential.

Me im really excited by this class, you not so much, im sure we'll have chances to talk again. bye for now 43mafia :)

It’s a good depth draft, with little excitement at the top unless your team needs a QB. The offensive line class is deeper than the last couple of years, especially on the interior which is a relief. It’s particularly thin on pass rushers and receivers you can hang your hat on. A lot of guys are gonna get pushed up at those positions.

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I couldnt possibly disagree with this thread more. 

This is a pretty weak draft, especially at the top.      The depth at certain positions is really good, but all around, this may be one of the weaker drafts ON PAPER

14 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

It’s a good depth draft, with little excitement at the top unless your team needs a QB. The offensive line class is deeper than the last couple of years, especially on the interior which is a relief. It’s particularly thin on pass rushers and receivers you can hang your hat on. A lot of guys are gonna get pushed up at those positions.

Ok.  Ya'll got me confused.  If this draft doesn't excite you at the top, what draft has done so in the last 6 years?

Cause 2011 is the last draft with a really strong top of the first round.  2012 was busts galore (though I will admit going into the draft it had a lot of hype).  2013 might be the worst top 15 ever (and it had no hype going into it).  2014 was pretty good at the top (and had decent hype heading into it).  2015 has been awful (and had tons of hype going for it which I never understood).  And while its too early to say anything conclusive about the tops of the 2016 and 2017 drafts, I am not impressed right now by either draft's top 15-16 picks.

The top of the 2018 draft looks stronger than any draft we've seen since 2011.

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Ok.  Ya'll got me confused.  If this draft doesn't excite you at the top, what draft has done so in the last 6 years?

Cause 2011 is the last draft with a really strong top of the first round.  2012 was busts galore (though I will admit going into the draft it had a lot of hype).  2013 might be the worst top 15 ever (and it had no hype going into it).  2014 was pretty good at the top (and had decent hype heading into it).  2015 has been awful (and had tons of hype going for it which I never understood).  And while its too early to say anything conclusive about the tops of the 2016 and 2017 drafts, I am not impressed right now by either draft's top 15-16 picks.

2016 is the best in recent memory Carson Wentz is the best young QB since Luck and the top picks of Elliott, Bosa, and Ramsay are all living up to expectations. Goff also had a turnaround and is looking better than advertised. 2015 was definitely overrated with the only consistent Elite players being Gurley, D. Johnson, Scherff, and Peters. 

2 hours ago, VanS said:

You can't judge previous drafts on what has happened since if your premise is this class is a great one. You have to judge them in the esteem they were held at the time, otherwise it's not a like for like comparison. 

I think the problem with this draft is that the major blue chip prospects are at less valuable positions... 

Guard (Nelson), NT (Vea), RB (Barkley), Safety (Minka) are arguably some of the best players for their respective positions in a while (though I was higher on Hooker last year than Minkah this year)... But none of those are the real high priority spots. 

There's like 4 QBs, being talked as potential top 10 guys, and I have them all behind last year's top 3....

Other top demand positions are WR (whose best prospect will be 2 years older...and doesn't seemingly move the needle for people in the top 10)... Corner, which has a bunch of short guys this year, and only one name I see getting hype right now in Josh Jackson, albeit still at a mid first draft spot in most mocks.. Edge has Chubb, who is being regarded as a lesser prospect athletically than the past few year's top guys, and Davenport who looks like more potential than real prospect at this point... Finally there's offensive tackle... In which you've got 2-4 guys all kinda sitting around with mid - late first grades

I wouldn't go as far to say it's a bad draft class, because I can see a decent chunk of potential future pro bowlers, but it's by and large a draft with very little superstar power. 

Archived