The 2018 NFL Draft could be one of the greatest in NFL history

VanS

7 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

Really ? Time i didn't see that much quality. Roquan Smith, Rashaan Evans, Darius Leonard, Tremaine Edmunds 43OLB or 34ILB to me. All are 1st rounders. Then good pros like Jefferson, Baker, Jewell, VanDerEsch, then guys like Burks, Kizer, DeLuca, Thomas.

Every one of those guys is going to be an OLB except Josey Jewel and MAYBE Vander Esch. I like Micah Kiser as a later round pick, but he's a run-of-the-mill 4th-5th round pick. Don't know Burks or DeLuca.

Tremaine Edmunds bores the daylights out of me. I don't think he's going to be good. Rashaan Evans can play ILB. Roquan cannot.

4 hours ago, Classic said:

2016 is the best in recent memory Carson Wentz is the best young QB since Luck and the top picks of Elliott, Bosa, and Ramsay are all living up to expectations. Goff also had a turnaround and is looking better than advertised. 2015 was definitely overrated with the only consistent Elite players being Gurley, D. Johnson, Scherff, and Peters. 

Look at the rest of the first round.  You named just the top 5 picks.  And yes those guys have had some early success (though I'm still not a believer in Jared Goff), nonetheless, that's just 5 players.  The rest of that first round looks terrible right now.

2011 is the benchmark of the last 10 years when it comes top end talent in the draft.  No other draft comes close.  I think 2018 will.  But we'll have to wait and see if I'm right.

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

You can't judge previous drafts on what has happened since if your premise is this class is a great one. You have to judge them in the esteem they were held at the time, otherwise it's not a like for like comparison. 

No.  That's silly because we see drafts get over hyped every year.  Its part of the draft build up to make every new crop the best thing ever.

That isn't interesting.  What is more interesting is predicting which drafts will great before they happen.  And which are overrated.  For example, I remember in 2015 the draft was hyped cause you had two Heisman Trophy winners projected to go 1 and 2.  I didn't like that draft at all.  And thought it was thin with stars.

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

I think the problem with this draft is that the major blue chip prospects are at less valuable positions... 

Guard (Nelson), NT (Vea), RB (Barkley), Safety (Minka) are arguably some of the best players for their respective positions in a while (though I was higher on Hooker last year than Minkah this year)... But none of those are the real high priority spots. 

There's like 4 QBs, being talked as potential top 10 guys, and I have them all behind last year's top 3....

Other top demand positions are WR (whose best prospect will be 2 years older...and doesn't seemingly move the needle for people in the top 10)... Corner, which has a bunch of short guys this year, and only one name I see getting hype right now in Josh Jackson, albeit still at a mid first draft spot in most mocks.. Edge has Chubb, who is being regarded as a lesser prospect athletically than the past few year's top guys, and Davenport who looks like more potential than real prospect at this point... Finally there's offensive tackle... In which you've got 2-4 guys all kinda sitting around with mid - late first grades

I wouldn't go as far to say it's a bad draft class, because I can see a decent chunk of potential future pro bowlers, but it's by and large a draft with very little superstar power. 

Okay.  Now that is insane.  You have Trubisky ahead of Darnold and Rosen?  Seriously?

I agree that this draft is light on WRs, CBs, and OTs.  But its loaded at QB (I know you disagree with this but most people think its the best QB draft in a while).  I believe its loaded at DE.  Marcus Davenport, Bradley Chubb, and Arden Key look like All-Pro pass rushers IMO.  And its arguably the greatest RB draft ever.  Its has incredible talent at the top and crazy depth throughout.  And as you mentioned you have some prospects like Quenton Nelson and Saquon Barkley that are arguably the best prospects at their respective positions in the last 20 years.

Nah this is a special class.  And we'll look back on it like we do the 2011 draft right now.

47 minutes ago, VanS said:

No.  That's silly because we see drafts get over hyped every year.  Its part of the draft build up to make every new crop the best thing ever.

That isn't interesting.  What is more interesting is predicting which drafts will great before they happen.  And which are overrated.  For example, I remember in 2015 the draft was hyped cause you had two Heisman Trophy winners projected to go 1 and 2.  I didn't like that draft at all.  And thought it was thin with stars.

Lol. So you're gonna simultaneously say this class could be the greatest in history and that most drafts get overhyped? 

2 hours ago, VanS said:

Look at the rest of the first round.  You named just the top 5 picks.  And yes those guys have had some early success (though I'm still not a believer in Jared Goff), nonetheless, that's just 5 players.  The rest of that first round looks terrible right now.

2011 is the benchmark of the last 10 years when it comes top end talent in the draft.  No other draft comes close.  I think 2018 will.  But we'll have to wait and see if I'm right.

Man you are tripping 

2016 is loaded

Deforest

Conklin

Keanu Neal

Myles Jack

Micharl Thomas

Deion Jones

Chris Jones 

Yannick

Vonn Bell

Goff Wentz Dak

Jordan Howard

Tyreeke Hill

mann you need to chill out I really hope you were kidding or didn’t know who was in the draft

?????????

1 hour ago, VanS said:

Okay.  Now that is insane.  You have Trubisky ahead of Darnold and Rosen?  Seriously?

I agree with you for once, although I think Trubisky is right there with Darnold and Rosen. He's behind them, but only slightly. But to have Mahomes and Watson ahead of those two as prospects is hilarious. Sure if you add hindsight in you can put Watson up there, but I guarantee you he didn't have a stud grade on him going into the draft. Very few people did.

I don't agree that this is an all-time great class by any stretch, BUT it's just as ridiculous to argue that last year's QB class was anywhere near as good as this year's...because quite simply,

44 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Man you are tripping 

2016 is loaded

Deforest

Conklin

Keanu Neal

Myles Jack

Micharl Thomas

Deion Jones

Chris Jones 

Yannick

Vonn Bell

Goff Wentz Dak

Jordan Howard

Tyreeke Hill

mann you need to chill out I really hope you were kidding or didn’t know who was in the draft

?????????

That's a list of decent players.  Other than Wentz I don't see superstars.  Michael Thomas is a decent player, he's not special.  Same with Jordan Howard.  And Yannick.

When I think of a LOADED draft class, I'm looking at 2011.  Cam Newton, Von Miller, Patrick Peterson, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Tyron Smith, JJ Watt, etc.  Those are all future Hall of Famers and guys who have been the best at their position or one of the best at their position for a long time.

2016 was just another draft.  The best draft since 2011 has been 2014 thus far.  It blows 2016 out of the water IMO.

41 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I agree with you for once, although I think Trubisky is right there with Darnold and Rosen. He's behind them, but only slightly. But to have Mahomes and Watson ahead of those two as prospects is hilarious. Sure if you add hindsight in you can put Watson up there, but I guarantee you he didn't have a stud grade on him going into the draft. Very few people did.

I don't agree that this is an all-time great class by any stretch, BUT it's just as ridiculous to argue that last year's QB class was anywhere near as good as this year's...because quite simply,

Actually I liked his talent because he was so similar to my #1 rated QB (Josh Dobbs).  In terms of talent, I viewed Deshaun Watson as a near clone of Dobbs just slightly smaller and less athletic.  I didn't have Watson graded highly for only one reason.  I was just scared to death about his durability.  He had a knee injury in high school that caused him to miss the end of his senior year.  He then tore his ACL as a freshmen in college.  And I saw him take a lot of huge hits thoughout college where he was always adjusting his knee brace.  I was scared to death that he would be another RG3.  And I was unfortunately proven right given the fact he tore his knee in practice of his rookie year with no contact. 

If Watson didn't have a history or proclivity for knee injuries he would have had a stud grade from me.  Right there with Josh Dobbs.

On 1/29/2018 at 4:27 PM, brownie man said:

you haven't looked into the draft but you know its a step back huh?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-draft-defensive-line-class-ed-oliver-dexter-lawrence-nick-bosa-rashan-gary/1s1bvmlxk9i3c17qnke3oz9ilp

Nick Bosa

Clennel Ferrelle

Austin Bryant 

Marlon Davidson

Ed Oliver

Dexter Lawrence 

Rashan Gary

Christian Wilkins

Dremont Jones

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt when you said you haven't looked into anything yet so Ima just give you a heads up 2019 will have HOF/multiple All Pro defensive lineman in that first round 

Agreed totally, I would say could argue 7 out of the top 10 prospects next year could be defensive lineman, at least early on because those are the only real proven prospects I think who have great potential at this point.  And your forgot about these guys, Raekwon and Burns could easily both be 1st rounders as well and quite high, not to mention Allen who is a beast and a half.

Zach Allen Boston College

Raekwon Davis Alabama

Brian Burns Florida State

Jaylon Ferguson La Tech

Charles Omenihu Texas

Corbin Kaufusi BYU 

Porter Gustin USC

But yes if one wants an option at QB this years draft has a lot of 1st round talents, however I would take Wentz coming out of college over any of them, could argue Watson over some as well.  Is nice to see Josh Allen potentially being the 1st pick, I like him over Rosen and Darnold who both have issues with leadership and or ball security.  But Allen is still a big time project and did not have a great year at all this season, but love his size and arm talent.

Oh and 2018 is going to have Miami DE Joe Jackson. He's going to be a top 10 pick. Supremely talented dude that reminds me of Jason Taylor.

And 2018 will have great linebackers much better than this year's. Inside linebackers, that is. This class is fine in terms of OLB's, but there aren't any good thumpers.

This class really isn't that good and it pains me to say that, because the Browns have 8 million picks.

On 1/29/2018 at 10:00 PM, VanS said:

Couldn't disagree more.  This draft is loaded with Pro-Bowlers and All-Pros.  There are superstars at almost every position.  IMO this RB class is arguably the best we've ever seen.  I'm having a hard time keeping up with how many of them I think are gonna be stars and starters.  The wide receiver class is weak compared to many of the other positions but it does have a generational superstar in Antonio Callaway.  He's the second coming of Sterling Sharpe IMO.  The weakest position on offense might be the offensive line but players like Quenton Nelson and Isaiah Wynn look a future All-Pros.  On defense there are 3 superstar pass rushers.  Marcus Davenport looks like a clone of NFL Hall of Famer Jason Taylor.  Bradley Chubb reminds me of former FSU legend and Ravens All-Pro Peter Boulware.  While Arden Key looks like the second coming of Tampa Bay Buccaneers All-Pro Simeon Rice.   All 3 are superstar pass rushers in the NFL.  In the interior I like Vita Vea.  He reminds me of Haloti Ngata.  And Da'Ron Payne looks like the best interior defensive lineman to come out of Alabama since Marcel Dareus.  The linebacker position has some freaky athletes with all-world potential like Tremaine Edmunds.  The same is true for the secondary with the likes of Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick.

This is a LOADED draft class.

Here are my favorites currently at each position:

QB - Sam Darnold (USC), Josh Rosen (UCLA), Lamar Jackson (Louisville)

RB - Saquon Barkley (Penn State), Rashaad Penny (San Diego State), Ronald Jones II (USC), Mark Walton (Miami), Kalen Ballage (Arizona State), John Kelly (Tennessee)

WR - Antonio Callaway (Florida), Equanimeous St. Brown (Notre Dame), Anthony Miller (Memphis), James Washington (Oklahoma State)

OL - Quenton Nelson (Notre Dame), Isaiah Wynn (Georgia)

DE - Marcus Davenport (UTSA), Arden Key (LSU), Bradley Chubb (NC State)

DT - Vita Vea (Washington), Da'Ron Payne (Alabama), Harrison Phillips (Stanford)

LB - Tremaine Edmunds (Va-Tech), Harold Landry (Boston College), Darius Leonard (South Carolina State)

DB - Derwin James (Florida State), Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama), Marcus Allen (Penn State), Mike Hughes (UCF)

Callaway will not even be a 1st rounder, totally surrounded by red flags and off a lot of team's draft boards. other than that, not a bad list, but hardly earth shattering. A very average class at best and I have been a draftnik an awful long time. QB will make or break this draft as 5 or 6 could possibly go round 1. 

3 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Callaway will not even be a 1st rounder, totally surrounded by red flags and off a lot of team's draft boards. other than that, not a bad list, but hardly earth shattering. A very average class at best and I have been a draftnik an awful long time. QB will make or break this draft as 5 or 6 could possibly go round 1. 

You don't need to be a 1st rounder to become a stud in the NFL.  Look no further than the current best WR in the NFL Antonio Brown.  He fell all the way down to the 6th round.

Antonio Callaway is a special talent ON THE FIELD.  I also have faith that those off-field issues won't follow him as long as he makes it out of Florida and is no longer surrounded by those bad influences.

If he finds a way to stay out of trouble and stay on the field, he'll be one of the best WRs in the NFL for the next 5-10 years.  Sterling Sharpe 2.0 IMO.

I think last year was a lot better than this year.  I haven't done QBs, or IOL this year so here's how I have the top 5 at the other positions graded:

RB

1. SBarkley

2. JMixon

3. LFournette

4. DCook

5. DGuice

WR

1. CDavis

2. JRoss

3. MWilliams

4. CRidley

5. CSutton

TE

1. OJHoward

2. EEngram

3. DNjoku

4. DGoedert

5. HHurst

OT

1. GBolles

2. CWilliams

3. RRamcyek

4. OBrown

5. FLamp

Edge

1. MGarrett

2. BChubb1. 

3. AKey (not including character issues)

4. TMcKinnely

5. CHarris

DL

1. SThomas

2. JAllen

3. TBryan

4. VVea

5. DPayne

LB

1. RFoster

2. TEdmunds

3. RSmith

4. REvans

5. LVanderEsch

CB

1. MLattimore

2. MHumphrey

3. GConley

4. DWard

5. HHill (not including character issues)

S

1. JAdams

2. MHooker

3. MFitzpatrick

4. BBaker

5. DJames

2017 = 24

2018 = 21 with 2 of the guys likely having serious character concerns and inflated due to the LBs.

Assuming that 2018 would have the advantage with QBs & IOL, the classes may come out pretty evenly although outside of those two positions 2017 has the clear advantage .

Archived