BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If the Club designates the player as a Franchise Player for the third time, the designating Club shall be the only Club with which the player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract.

Ah, thank you.

It makes sense since the 144% was going to wipe out the likelihood of a difference.

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf 

ARTICLE 10 FRANCHISE AND TRANSITION PLAYERS 

(b) Any Club that designates a player as a Franchise Player for the third time shall, on the date the third such designation is made, be deemed to have tendered the player a one-year NFL Player Contract for the greater of: (A) the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) with the highest such average; (B) 120% of the average of the five largest Prior Year Salaries for players at the position (within the categories set forth in Section 7(a) below) at which the player participated in the most plays during the prior League Year; or (C) 144% of his Prior Year Salary. (By way of example, a kicker designated as a Franchise Player for the third time in the 2014 League Year would have a Required Tender equal to the greater of: (i) the average of the five largest 2013 Salaries for quarterbacks; (ii) 120% of the average of the five largest 2013 Salaries for kickers; or (iii) 144% of the player’s own 2013 Salary.) If the Club designates the player as a Franchise Player for the third time, the designating Club shall be the only Club with which the player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract. In lieu of designating such a player as a Franchise Player for the third time, any Club may designate such player as a Transition Player pursuant to Section 3 below.

Ok, but that doesn’t mean we can’t trade him. That just means that Kirk can only negotiate with the Redskins if we franchise tag him again.

A team that has all kinds of cap space like the Browns, Jags or Jets could still decide to trade for Kirk and then work out a LTD deal with him after he gets in their building.

Also, as Woz said, this is unprecedented territory so there may be a way where the Redskins can agree to waive that “no negotiating clause” and allow Kirk to shop himself. The rule is currently set up so that the team has all the control like we did the last two years but there may be a way where the redskins will be allowed to allow Kirk to see what he can find from other teams first and then that team and the redksins can work out compensation.

I don’t think it’s a black and white as you’re making it out to be.

I think you guys will end up liking smith a lot . He's a class act and a leader who plays well when needed . He won't make those bonehead throws .

As for fuller being gone we will see how he does next year . He had a good year and a crappy rookie year .

we need to calm down and see what smith brings to the table . We don't know what redskins will do in free agency or in the draft.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Because if we find a running back, continue to build our defense up and the young talent we have like Allen, Ioannidis, Lanier, Moreau, Dunny and Nicholson countinue to develop into better players over the next few years we’ll be heading in the right direction still.

Why do you assume that this will happen? What from this front office makes you think that they'll be able to do this?

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

On top of that, many times all you need to do is get into the dance and then when you do anything can happen. 

chance-there-is.gif

Sure, anything could happen, but making that your strategy is stupid

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So, I’d actually disagree that super bowl winning teams don’t do this. The first goal of the current super bowl caliber teams in the NFL is to win their division and or make the playoffs and then then once they’re in they playoffs they focus on winning those games and hopefully getting to the super bowl.

Except you said:

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I can live with winning 8 to 10 games a year and continuing to always be in the mix for the playoffs with Alex as our qb.

Planning on winning 8-10 games a year is not playing for the division crown, but hoping you can sneak in as a wild card team.

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Alex Smith probably doesn’t move the needle either way on that vs having a Kirk Cousins as our qb, but the development of our young players we have and having an extra $10 million in cap space next year to sign a few more good free agents at WR, RB, LG, and/or on defense.

Again, spending that $10M in cap space isn't actually helpful if you want to get full compensatory value for Cousins (and Breeland).

At the same time, it shows the players in the league (both here and elsewhere) that we don't value our own players.

3 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Has anyone actually seen smith play?

he did very well this season.

In Andy Reid's system.

Please name one quarterback who looked good under Andy Reid who played well when he left.

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

In Andy Reid's system.

Please name one quarterback who looked good under Andy Reid who played well when he left.

They where all washed up and smith did good in San Fran . Vick was always good , mcnabb failed because of his ego of not listening to shanahan.

It wasn't because of Reid system it was because smith a smart qb . If that's the case I promise you cousins won't be successful . He was up and down and looked nervous at times. 

smith had a good year I'm not throwing stats in but I just saw how he plays . Dude does really well with his accuracy and it isn't just dink and dunks he plays well.

Just now, Dashing202 said:

He's a class act and a leader who plays well when needed

Oh, like Kirk Cousins?

He won't make those bonehead throws .

Dashing in nine to ten months time:

giphy.gif

As for fuller being gone we will see how he does next year . He had a good year and a crappy rookie year .

Which implies he was progressing ... and we just gave up a cheap and progressing player for an aging veteran QB.

1 minute ago, Dashing202 said:

we need to calm down and see what smith brings to the table .

The guy has been in the league since 2005. His skill set is a known commodity. What are you expecting, for him suddenly to become the next John Elway under Gruden? He's essentially a slightly more mobile but significantly older version of Kirk Cousins.

2 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

We don't know what redskins will do in free agency or in the draft.

1. I don't know it for a fact, but I'm willing to lay good money down that they will botch at least free agency.
  2. Anything they do in free agency hurts their future gains from letting Cousins walk.

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

In lieu of designating such a player as a Franchise Player for the third time, any Club may designate such player as a Transition Player pursuant to Section 3 below.

This is right below the bolder part, which stipulates that the normal transition tag rules apply .I believe our options are Exclusive or Transition tag, non-exclusive is not allowed.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Ugh, whatever. I need a break. The doom and gloom is starting to kill me again in this forum. See you guys later, maybe in a few hours, maybe a few days but I just need to step away from this crap for a while.

Peace

because fuller left 

Streaming 980 and laughing at apologist Bram Dipstein defend the cousins handling. Glosses over and ignores how the redskins screwed up this whole situation, blaming Kirk, and failing to understand that it’s not about being 7-9 or 8-8. It’s about building for a super bowl and you do that by taking your medicine, suck a few years, build your entire team and then win. 

#defendingtheindefensable

Or maybe should be #redskinsschill

hey put him on redskins tv now too lol 

Just now, RSkinGM said:

Back in the early 60's the Giants traded for an old washed up Q B named Yelberton Abraham Tittle.. Worked out pretty decent for them .. Just saying .. be calm and keep bailing . :S

I like how you had to go back to a time when a television debate between presidential candidates was brand new to find a positive comparison.

Archived