(Poll) Choose 1: Kirk Cousins OR a QB at 1.....

Mind Character

Kirk Cousins will not agree to come to the Browns if we tell him that we will use our 1st or 4th pick on a young QB1.  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Kirk Cousins will not agree to come to the Browns if we tell him that we will use our 1st or 4th pick on a young QB1. So choose: Kirk Cousins OR a QB at 1?

• 1.) Kirk Cousins. I'm putting my money on the 30 year old QB; he's still in his prime and can get us to the playoffs or better. If we surround him with talent, we can make our run deep in the tournament for 4 years. I can't wait for some young guy to get ready...I have to win right now. Cousins can get us to winning right now. That's enough for me. Take a shot later in the draft on young QB and call it a day. Screw the QB class. Go all in on Cousins...he's the one.
    • 2.) QB at 1 (Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield). Cousins is good, but not enough to pass on this draft's crop of QB1s. He's 30-31, and he's not divisional title game/Super bowl type that would justify us passing on younger, cheaper QBs that might have that potential. Plus, we can use the cap space to continue to build at other positions around the young QB1 when he's ready.

25 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

I thought so :)

I would imagine Cousins is about to sign a 5 or 6 year deal. 

How many QBs have played for one team for 15 years?  

Almost all the best ones tend to make it to that point with one team, or very close.

Of those still playing, Tom since 2001. The 2004 class of Eli, Rivers and Roethlisberger are all on Year 14 and expected to be starters. Rodgers from 2005 is on Year 13 with the Packers even though he didn't play for the first few. Brees found his home only in 2006 but has been there 12 years and is likely about to get a contract to push it closer to 15 years. Matt Ryan is on 10 years, with a solid chance he gets to 15.

Historically, reaching 15 years was a bit harder because of the beating a QB took. But you still had the greats that made it or thereabouts.

Marino for 16 years. Elway for 15 years. Fouts for 14 years. Simms for 14 years.

I'm taking the QB at #1. I certainly wouldn't hate it if we signed Cousins, as he'd easily be the best QB we've had in years, and he's a top 10-15 QB. However, we pretty much know what he is by now. Someone like Darnold or Rosen has the potential to be better than just top 10-15, and they're also much younger. We could then use that cap space, that would be otherwise used on Cousins, to build up the rest of the roster and retain our current players. The drawback of going with drafting a QB instead is they're obviously not a sure thing and could bust, but I think I'd take my chances.

34 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I'm taking the QB at #1. I certainly wouldn't hate it if we signed Cousins, as he'd easily be the best QB we've had in years, and he's a top 10-15 QB. However, we pretty much know what he is by now. Someone like Darnold or Rosen has the potential to be better than just top 10-15, and they're also much younger. We could then use that cap space, that would be otherwise used on Cousins, to build up the rest of the roster and retain our current players. The drawback of going with drafting a QB instead is they're obviously not a sure thing and could bust, but I think I'd take my chances.

IMO, from what I've seen for years and had many debates with Skins fans....Cousins has put up some numbers, but he is NOT a top 12 QB, IMO he's somewhere between 13-16.....Look at his best years, they were when he had elite coaching (Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVey) and he also had pro bowl level talent that had GREAT seasons (Reed, Garcon and DJax)....And even with those number...he's still under .500 as a QB w/ 0 playoff wins,.....and making HIM the #1 paid QB in the league.....I just dont see us doing that.

TBH, I think that Cousins is pretty much off of the table for us since we have the #1 pick. If we fell out of the Top 2 picks overall, we would probably consider him. That said, if our FO and coaching staff is high on at least 1 QB, we'll draft him and get a veteran stop-gap...probably the guy we tried to trade a #2 and #3 pick for this past season. I fully expect us to meet with Cousins, offer him a mid-tier contract that he will turn down, and move on with life.

JMHO

38 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

IMO, from what I've seen for years and had many debates with Skins fans....Cousins has put up some numbers, but he is NOT a top 12 QB, IMO he's somewhere between 13-16.....Look at his best years, they were when he had elite coaching (Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVey) and he also had pro bowl level talent that had GREAT seasons (Reed, Garcon and DJax)....And even with those number...he's still under .500 as a QB w/ 0 playoff wins,.....and making HIM the #1 paid QB in the league.....I just dont see us doing that.

3941373.jpg

I think Cousins is pretty damned good, but he’s not elite.  He’s maybe a top 10 guy, sure, but as a free agent he’s going to be paid like the best of the best.  If you’re paying a guy a contract that large, they better be able to carry a team because that contract is going to eat up your cap. I don’t think he can do that.  If he could, he would have already.

Archived