Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

Brett Favre was diagnosed with “three or four” concussions during his career, but the Hall of Fame quarterback guesses he had “probably thousands.” Favre, who has become an advocate for concussion research, worries about chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) after taking the number of hits he took in a 20-year, 302-game NFL career.

Favre: “As we’re learning about concussions, there’s a term we use in football and maybe other sports, that I got ‘dinged.' When you have ringing of the ears, seeing stars, that is a concussion. If that’s a concussion, then I’ve had hundreds, probably thousands, throughout my career, which is frightening.”

“I grew up playing football, my dad was the coach. He was tough on me. He was a hard-nosed, just in-your-face-type of guy, and he didn’t know what concussions were about. We knew basically what a concussion was, but the thought process in those days was you would never come out of a game or practice because you had a little head ding. You would be considered, for lack of a better term, a sissy. My point in this is: 30 years ago, there wasn’t a problem in anyone’s mind from playing football. It was just a matter of being tough, and the ones who stuck it out and made the most of it. Now, what we know, is it has nothing to do with toughness, and that’s a lot scarier. So I look at my career as something wonderful. I didn’t know; had I known in Year 5, I would have looked at my future a bit closer as my career unfolded.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/12/brett-favre-worries-about-cte-after-probably-thousands-of-concussions/

Edited by vike daddy

On 4/11/2018 at 6:40 PM, SemperFeist said:

Yes, Bill Belichick has proven to be sooo patient with players. 

Honestly, after joining the Patriots, how many failed players have done a 180? 

While he wasn't necessarily a failure in his previous stop...Corey Dillon?  

24 minutes ago, disaacs said:

While he wasn't necessarily a failure in his previous stop...Corey Dillon?  

Like you said, he wasn’t a failure. Belichick and the Pats have done a great job at “reversing the clock” and get some productive years out of players who were thought to be past their primes, but those players had a history of success. 

I just can’t think of anyone that the Patriots have taken from draft bust to making them the player they should have been. 

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Like you said, he wasn’t a failure. Belichick and the Pats have done a great job at “reversing the clock” and get some productive years out of players who were thought to be past their primes, but those players had a history of success. 

I just can’t think of anyone that the Patriots have taken from draft bust to making them the player they should have been. 

I'm still disappointed that they couldn't get anything out of Maroney.  

• Like 1