Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

Kevin Stefanski is entering dangerous territory. The Browns' coach and play-caller has made a number of questionable decisions on key downs throughout this season, and Saturday was no different.

After taking a 10-0 lead, Cleveland's offense went into a shell on both the sideline and the field. Watson's cast of pass catchers repeatedly dropped well-placed passes -- especially on the Browns' desperate final drive -- and Stefanski didn't do his quarterback any favors, calling two passes on third-and-2 and fourth-and-2 in a game played amid wind gusts of over 20 mph. Stefanski's rushing attack struggled to get going, falling victim to a predictable approach that New Orleans had no problem defending. The timing of his pass plays didn't make much sense, either, consistently putting the Browns behind schedule and forcing Watson to attempt low-percentage passes. The defense, unsurprisingly, fell apart in the second half, allowing the Saints to score 17 unanswered points. And when the Browns needed a touchdown most, they failed, sending them toward an irrelevant two-game stretch to close another disappointing campaign.

Stefanski's seat isn't hot, but even with the Browns' late quarterback change considered, it should be warm. There's just no excuse for the way he called Saturday's game, which should have been a winnable one for the Browns. With very little left to play for in the final two weeks of 2022, Stefanski will need to do his best to ensure Cleveland doesn't end the campaign in ugly fashion.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-season-week-16-what-we-learned-from-saturday-s-games

we were also fools, i recall, for letting him go too. said a few fans who felt they knew better....

The Commanders, at 7-7-1, are barely clinging to the last spot in the NFC playoff field. With two more games to play, they may be making a quarterback change.

As explained on Sunday’s Football Night in America, the Washington coach staff will meet on Monday to review the performance of Taylor Heinicke and Carson Wentz in Saturday’s loss to the 49ers. The coaches will consider the pros and cons of both players, with an eye toward making the best decision moving forward.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/26/commanders-will-decide-between-taylor-heinicke-carson-wentz-by-wednesday-morning/

49 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d still roll with Heinicke. He gives that team a heartbeat.

Wentz may have the better pedigree, he may have a better physical skill set, but he plays so uninspired. When he’s commanding 😎 the offense, there’s just no spark. 

And I don’t think the players respond to him. Players haven’t responded to him since his second year in the league. 

When Broncos CEO Greg Penner issued a statement on Monday regarding the firing of Nathaniel Hackett, he mentioned that the team’s General Manager George Paton would be involved in the search for a new head coach.

But as Paton mentioned in Tuesday’s joint press conference with Penner, Paton was the one who picked the coach and most of the players on the roster. Paton went as far as saying, “There is no one to blame but me.”

So why keep Paton around? Penner was asked exactly that.

“George and I have had a chance to get to know each other,” Penner said during Tuesday’s press conference. “We’ve talked every day since we purchased the team a number of months ago. And he acknowledged right up front, there were a couple of decisions that haven’t worked out as he expected. But I understand his thought process.

“He understands the work that needs to be done in this offseason. And I’m going to rely on him heavily as we go through and make these changes.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/27/broncos-ceo-greg-penner-im-going-to-rely-heavily-on-george-paton-as-we-make-changes/

The Cardinals waived offensive lineman Watt Davis on Tuesday.

He joined the Cardinals Nov. 9 when they claimed him off waivers a day after the Saints waived him. Davis played one snap in Week 10 against the Rams in his only action with the team. He played two snaps for the Saints in Week 5 in his only other action of the season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/27/cardinals-waive-wyatt-davis/

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

The Cardinals waived offensive lineman Watt Davis on Tuesday.

He joined the Cardinals Nov. 9 when they claimed him off waivers a day after the Saints waived him. Davis played one snap in Week 10 against the Rams in his only action with the team. He played two snaps for the Saints in Week 5 in his only other action of the season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/27/cardinals-waive-wyatt-davis/

Man, Davis seemed like a sure thing at Ohio State. 

• Like 2