This Is Rival Talk v1.0

CWood21

34 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

DVOA accounts for opponents 

I don't care about small sample size DVOA. As my friend @Norm says, there's more to life than computers. Look at that secondary, Jerry Jacobs, Cam Sutton, Brian Branch, Kerby Joseph, Tracy Walker. That's not a group that will hold up if you can get their front blocked, which has been proven already this season. 

Same recipe against their offense, Jared Goff under pressure in 2022? 32nd in completion%, 28th in QBR, 22nd in EPA. 

The Lions are built perfectly for taking advantage of teams that are weak up front, but they have glaring holes vs teams that can protect their QB and get after theirs. That doesn't bode well for the playoffs where every team does that. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't care about small sample size DVOA. As my friend @Norm says, there's more to life than computers. Look at that secondary, Jerry Jacobs, Cam Sutton, Brian Branch, Kerby Joseph, Tracy Walker. That's not a group that will hold up if you can get their front blocked, which has been proven already this season. 

Same recipe against their offense, Jared Goff under pressure in 2022? 32nd in completion%, 28th in QBR, 22nd in EPA. 

The Lions are built perfectly for taking advantage of teams that are weak up front, but they have glaring holes vs teams that can protect their QB and get after theirs. That doesn't bode well for the playoffs where every team does that. 

"I don't care about small sample sizes"

But

"There was a single game that I'm basing my opinion off"

Lolz

• Like 1

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

They're 13-3 over their last 16

And 14-9 once you factor in the games vs. top competition. DVOA is a useful metric for getting a general sense of how a team performs, but it doesn't account for some of those glaring holes (or injuries) that can get exposed once you run into stronger competition. For example, would you have considered the 2021 Cowboys or 2020 Saints the #1 team in the NFL? DVOA did. But then their offenses got exposed. Or the Bills, whose highly ranked defense DVOA got exposed once they ran into teams that forced them out of favorable situations created by their offense.

Are the Lions a top 3 team in the NFC? Absolutely. But the Eagles and 49ers (when healthy) have the personnel and coaching to exploit those flaws in the secondary and with Goff. There's also Goff's home/road splits, which are some of the most extreme among starting QBs.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I know their roster has holes, but the computer likes them!

The "computer" is simply a compilation of the on-field results.

They best KC in KC, but you think they aren't in the same tier because of your eye test (or something).

It's just laughable, really 

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The "computer" is simply a compilation of the on-field results.

They best KC in KC, but you think they aren't in the same tier because of your eye test (or something).

It's just laughable, really 

They were better in week 1, unfortunately for Detroit, they award the championship for the league in 20 weeks and I trust that Chiefs team a hell of a lot more.