Cravens

Marcus21

9 hours ago, Slateman said:

Those are some garbage comparisons.

He's flat out refused to become a full time linebacker. He wants to play safety. The Redskins are pat at strong safety and it's unlikely that they will get rid of Sweringer to give him the job. On this team (and most), he's a rotational player that plays on goal line/short yardage situations, and comes in on double tight end sets and 3rd and long as a OLB to cover tightends and RBs.

Redskins depth at safety is not good. Cravens could be depth at S, depth at ILB and play dime LB. 

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The question is whether he has the quickness to play the position in the NFL.  

Yeah, he didn't look too quick in college. From the little that I saw from him in the NFL, I thought he had improved his quickness a little bit. Now he's down a couple more pounds.

Again, this is all moot if the rest of the locker room doesn't want him back. That first and foremost has to be established. And it needs to be unanimous (or nearly there). One or two reports from this player or that player is meaningless. The whole team needs to decide if what he did was forgivable. Not the coaching staff, nor the front office.

2 minutes ago, the lone star said:

Yeah, he didn't look too quick in college. From the little that I saw from him in the NFL, I thought he had improved his quickness a little bit. Now he's down a couple more pounds.

Which is why the coaching staff wanted him to move to MLB full time.  But he complained about it the whole time.  

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Which is why the coaching staff wanted him to move to MLB full time.  But he complained about it the whole time.  

Yeah. Honestly, I think best fit for him is with a 4-3 team where he can be WLB. But if he's quicker, then that's good.

However, after just watching some of his game tape again, the problem with his quickness seems to be his first few steps. He doesn't really accelerate that well. Gotta plant stronger and take longer strides. He seems to like the smaller strides so he can change directions better. 

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

Again, this is all moot if the rest of the locker room doesn't want him back. That first and foremost has to be established. And it needs to be unanimous (or nearly there). One or two reports from this player or that player is meaningless. The whole team needs to decide if what he did was forgivable. Not the coaching staff, nor the front office.

Pretty much. I'd take a chance on him though.

Just now, the lone star said:

Pretty much. I'd take a chance on him though.

If the players are willing to bring him back into the fold, then the coaching staff can move to the next step: figure out what you are going to do with him.

If he's going to be a hybrid safety/linebacker (to be honest, I think that's what they were envisioning when they drafted him; it certainly was what I pictured) or just a pure linebacker or pure safety, lay that out to Cravens. If he wants playing time at safety, he needs to understand that he's behind both Swearinger and Nicholson and will have to outplay both to get on the field there. Point out that the pathway to playing time as an inside linebacker is easier, but he's got to put in the work.

If he balks at all to what is presented, trade him. There are too many problems on this roster to take on an essentially rookie diva, especially one who quit on the team before.

If he buys in, then the coaching staff needs to work to do everything in its collective power to maximize his talents at whatever position they put him at. Again, there are too many problems on this roster, but if Cravens can be a solution to at least one of them, that would be wonderful.

Just now, the lone star said:

But didn't he win the starting safety job last season?

Since he was playing mostly middle linebacker, I don't believe so (my memory, it's not as good as it once was ... and back then it was crap). It was announced in the offseason that he would be moving to safety, which he was happy about.

Oh, if you mean before the 2017 season, yes, he did. However, part of my point is that he's lost that seniority/position. He has to earn it back now.

Archived