Cravens

Marcus21

3 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Wasted pick- I don't like drafting a west coast guy born and raised and from USC and transplanting him to the east coast .. Doesn't work for me . Just fudges with his feng shui ! He needs to play out west somewhere.

There are several Hall of Fame players who’ve gone to USC and then got drafted to teams in the east. We shouldn’t just give up on a 2nd round pick with a lot of talent. Scot McCloughan believed in Su’a and still does, the rest of us should too.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

There are several Hall of Fame players who’ve gone to USC and then got drafted to teams in the east. We shouldn’t just give up on a 2nd round pick with a lot of talent. Scot McCloughan believed in Su’a and still does, the rest of us should too.

I will NOT believe in him!!!! ¬¬

... but I WILL keep a very open mind to him turning his career around for the better!  xD

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

But, but, but in addition to USC.. He was born in L A .. Different mind set .. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Cravens should have played S as a rookie, he was the best option we had for SS on the roster in 2016. It was sad because Cravens was a better player than Burton and Whitner who the Redskins signed to play SS instead of playing their 2nd rookie there from day 1 in the offseason. Not having Cravens on the field for almost every play hurt our defense. Especially considering how awful Burton and Whitner were.

Yeah, he's an every down player. Or at least I think he is.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Roy Williams the multi time pro bowler who had great instincts and was a big hitter? If Cravens can be that we’d be blessed with a very versatile defender who can play S and dime ILB. 

Roy Williams wouldn't last in today's NFL. And I'm talking about the last three or four seasons, when he was to slow to play in coverage. Also he had work ethic. And was willing to play ILB.

On 2/16/2018 at 4:13 PM, RSkinGM said:

But, but, but in addition to USC.. He was born in L A .. Different mind set .. 

It doesn’t matter IMO. Cravens doesn’t have any leverage here. If he does want out, the only way to get out of DC is to play great for the Redskins and then build up his trade value. A smart GM would know this, project this. A dumb GM like we have would look to cut him. You don’t let talented players go at their lowest value, that’s stupid.

23 hours ago, Slateman said:

Roy Williams wouldn't last in today's NFL. And I'm talking about the last three or four seasons, when he was to slow to play in coverage. Also he had work ethic. And was willing to play ILB.

Roy Williams was a football player. He’d probably play SS on run downs and dime ILB on pass downs. Kind of like someone else we know... right?

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Roy Williams was a football player. He’d probably play SS on run downs and dime ILB on pass downs. Kind of like someone else we know... right?

1. Williams would get destroyed in today's pass happy NFL at safety. He'd get picked to pieces by every slot receiver and athletic tight end. Particularly when he decided to eat a horse and get big. He'd have had to convert to ILB to survive in the NFL.

2. Cravens told the team he didn't want to play linebacker. He told the team he didn't think he could play it.

So, no, Cravens sounds nothing like Roy Williams.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

1. Williams would get destroyed in today's pass happy NFL at safety. He'd get picked to pieces by every slot receiver and athletic tight end. Particularly when he decided to eat a horse and get big. He'd have had to convert to ILB to survive in the NFL.

2. Cravens told the team he didn't want to play linebacker. He told the team he didn't think he could play it.

So, no, Cravens sounds nothing like Roy Williams.

Roy Williams actually played some FS as well as SS for the Cowboys. He had two, 5 interception seasons.

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Roy Williams actually played some FS as well as SS for the Cowboys. He had two, 5 interception seasons.

I said when he was too big and slow. In other words,  after Parcels got it into his head he needed to come into camp at 240.

Williams would be an OLB in a 4-3 in today's NFL. Like Thomas Davis had to.

On 2/16/2018 at 3:07 PM, turtle28 said:

Springs & Smoot say the Redskins need to give Cravens a chance to redeem himself and they would welcome him into their locker room.

I like their commentary on Cravens (especially Smoot's point that he starts on the third team), but there's one problem: they aren't in the locker room anymore.

Again, regardless of what the coaching staff wants to scheme with him, or how much he wants to play, or what have you, if the captains believe he won't be welcomed back, it doesn't matter.

4 hours ago, Woz said:

I like their commentary on Cravens (especially Smoot's point that he starts on the third team), but there's one problem: they aren't in the locker room anymore.

Again, regardless of what the coaching staff wants to scheme with him, or how much he wants to play, or what have you, if the captains believe he won't be welcomed back, it doesn't matter.

Mason Foster is a leader on the defense and said he’d give him a chance. I think most players on the team will be willing to give Cravens a second chance.

The only two question marks in my mind are Swearinger & Norman. Swearinger probably won’t want the competition from Cravens for his starting job and Norman seemed to indicate last offseason that he didn’t feel he could trust his safeties to be where they were supposed to be. Perhaps he was referring to our 2016 safeties (Hall, Blackmon, Burton and Whitner) and not Cravens but I’m not sure.

On 2/20/2018 at 8:05 PM, turtle28 said:

Mason Foster is a leader on the defense and said he’d give him a chance. I think most players on the team will be willing to give Cravens a second chance.

Yes, but the players voted Swearinger captain for a reason. He needs to be the one who gathers the intel from the rest of the defensive roster. There's also a reason why Trent would be involved as well (as a backstop in case Swearinger would spike it due to competition fears ... though I think that might be a bit overblown).

However, I just realized a serious flaw in my plan (2018 free agents in bold, players no longer on roster marked with strikethrough):

• 2017 Captains
    • Kirk Cousins
    • Trent Williams
    • D.J. Swearinger
    • Niles Paul
  • 2016 Captains
    • Kirk Cousins
    • Trent Williams
    • Will Compton
    • DeAngelo Hall
    • Niles Paul
  • 2015 Captains
    • Trent Williams
    • Dashon Goldson
    • Tress Way
  • 2014 Captains
    • Trent Williams
    • DeAngelo Hall
    • Adam Hayward

Gives the Redskins only three players in the last four years who will be on the roster come March 14 and were a captain. Still, Way probably could suffice to cover for the special teams.

On 2/20/2018 at 8:05 PM, turtle28 said:

The only two question marks in my mind are Swearinger & Norman. Swearinger probably won’t want the competition from Cravens for his starting job and Norman seemed to indicate last offseason that he didn’t feel he could trust his safeties to be where they were supposed to be. Perhaps he was referring to our 2016 safeties (Hall, Blackmon, Burton and Whitner) and not Cravens but I’m not sure

Since the whole plan is predicated on Cravens being invited back with zero seniority (starting back on the 3rd team), I don't think Swearinger would worry too much about the competition. I don't think Norman really would complain on that front since Cravens was operating mostly as a linebacker in 2016.

Archived