Cravens

Marcus21

17 minutes ago, Woz said:

Since he was playing mostly middle linebacker, I don't believe so (my memory, it's not as good as it once was ... and back then it was crap). It was announced in the offseason that he would be moving to safety, which he was happy about.

Oh, if you mean before the 2017 season, yes, he did. However, part of my point is that he's lost that seniority/position. He has to earn it back now.

Yeah, I got you bro. Just wondering. One would think that he can earn it back, but we'll see.

Just now, the lone star said:

Yeah, I got you bro. Just wondering. One would think that he can earn it back, but we'll see.

Possibly. One place where I was very wrong last year was in thinking Nicholson was a wasted pick. The kid looked really good for a rookie. Swearinger locked himself in a starting role given that he was elected captain in just his first year on the squad.

So, while Cravens could regain a starting role, it isn't a given. One advantage Cravens does have in this is that Nicholson ended the season on IR with a concussion. However, if I'm the coaching staff, I make it clear that he has to beat out Nicholson on the field unless Nicholson cannot go at all. What happened in the 2017 offseason means diddly.

9 hours ago, the lone star said:

Who would you compare him to?

As for how he'd fit with other teams, I'd like him on my Cowboys. ;-)
He could start over Heath and probably help the team out a little bit. Maybe do some nickel/slot work like Woods does.

But I can understand why he would want to play safety. That position seems to suit his versatile style of play the best. In college he liked to do a mix of everything. Coverage, Blitz, Run, Playing nickel, coming off the edge, or slating himself in the middle at safety. 

Personally, I think he's got more talent than Swearinger, so I could see Cravens getting the starting job somewhere. 

You remember when Roy Williams was too big and slow to play safety? That's Cravens. They should have Told him from Day 1 he was playing linebacker and told him to put on weight.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Redskins depth at safety is not good. Cravens could be depth at S, depth at ILB and play dime LB. 

He doesn't want to play linebacker. He wants to play safety. He's the backup, in the box, non-coverage in space safety on a team where the starting in the box, non-coverage in space safety is the team captain. 

13 minutes ago, Slateman said:

You remember when Roy Williams was too big and slow to play safety? That's Cravens. They should have Told him from Day 1 he was playing linebacker and told him to put on weight.

They did tell him that.  He whined about it though.

15 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

They did tell him that.  He whined about it though.

Cravens should have played S as a rookie, he was the best option we had for SS on the roster in 2016. It was sad because Cravens was a better player than Burton and Whitner who the Redskins signed to play SS instead of playing their 2nd rookie there from day 1 in the offseason. Not having Cravens on the field for almost every play hurt our defense. Especially considering how awful Burton and Whitner were.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Cravens should have played S as a rookie, he was the best option we had for SS on the roster in 2016. It was sad because Cravens was a better player than Burton and Whitner who the Redskins signed to play SS instead of playing their 2nd rookie there from day 1 in the offseason. Not having Cravens on the field for almost every play hurt our defense. Especially considering how awful Burton and Whitner were.

He's too slow to play Safety.

15 hours ago, Slateman said:

Roy Williams the multi time pro bowler who had great instincts and was a big hitter? If Cravens can be that we’d be blessed with a very versatile defender who can play S and dime ILB. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:

He's too slow to play Safety.

He has great instincts which, makes up for the lack of 4.5 speed. His instincts and recognition on the field is elite. A guy like Cravens sees what the offense is going to do and gets there before others because of his high football IQ.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

He has great instincts which, makes up for the lack of 4.5 speed. His instincts and recognition on the field is elite. A guy like Cravens sees what the offense is going to do and gets there before others because of his high football IQ.

Sweet.  He'll instinctually turn his head just in time to see that WR running past him.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Sweet.  He'll instinctually turn his head just in time to see that WR running past him.  

Whatever you say, you’re the safety expert. I’m glad you enjoyed our year of Burton and Whitner starting ahead of our 2nd round pick.

Archived