Prediction: Redskins will Tag & Trade Cousins to the Jets!

aceinthehouse

There's several holes in this. 1st being Washington doesn't have money to pay him. You say they only have 31mill now and that's without resigning a single player (when they have several guys I'm sure they want to keep around) as well as no money aside for the draft. So realistically they'd have to shed close to 20+mill to even make it feasible. That's for starters. Now onto to other teams. Other teams know what I just wrote above, thereof they will not give up draft assets for a impending UFA. Also remember if lets say the Broncos trade for him... that does not guarantee him signing a deal there (I think he would sign but there's no guarantee). Bc of this risk, no team will give up any picks worth anything. If he were to get traded if tagged (which I clearly think is far fetched)... I don't see it being for more than a mid round pick like a 4th Rounder. He's an impending UFA... it's hard to hold any cards when you're the Redskins when you have no money. He will become an UFA hit the market. Probably go and visit around 5 teams or so and then choose. My guess is he chooses the Broncos or the Jets. Time will tell.

52 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

I agree .. idk why some fans act like it's an awful idea . No human being will sit a year and not take a deal over 100 million dollars bad or good . Obviously people forgotten the redskins over price free agents despite always sucking .

Have you not seen Cousins take Franchise Tag after Franchise Tag? He'll take the 34M, put up his middle finger at the FO for trying to Dictate where he goes and NOT negotiate with whatever team tries to trade forcing the issue.

It's not rocket science. He's not throwing away 100M If he signs again, he's already collected that off the stupidity of the Redskins FO in less years them any Player in NFL History.

Cousins Holds All The Leverage. ALL!

WAS can tag Cousins.   Cousins would still have to sign the tag in order for WAS to be able to trade him.  If he does not sign it, WAS then would likely rescind the tag and Cousins becomes a UFA and free to negotiate with any team he chooses.  He can go to a team that does not have to give up assets (players or picks) to WAS, thus making his new team arguably stronger for it.  ALL while likely not losing any $$ on a long term deal and being able to choose where he plays.  

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

Have you not seen Cousins take Franchise Tag after Franchise Tag? He'll take the 34M, put up his middle finger at the FO for trying to Dictate where he goes and NOT negotiate with whatever team tries to trade forcing the issue.

It's not rocket science. He's not throwing away 100M If he signs again, he's already collected that off the stupidity of the Redskins FO in less years them any Player in NFL History.

Cousins Holds All The Leverage. ALL!

He took the tag because the redskins  gave him the tag . The front office also low balled the offer on what he did but it did not prevent him from playing in 2016 or 2017.

We actually offered him a fair amount of money . But come on now it's one thing to take our money but to not even wanna play for 2018 is another .

plus he's a huge Christian guy so for him to be bitter etc isn't .Christian like . There's no reports he hates the FO, if anything it's his agent vs Allen .

im actually glad we didn't Re-sign him or give him a contact in 2015. From my understand had redskins signed Kirk in 2015 we would of still had to pay him eventually by next year to a new contract which could be bigger than what it's suppose to right now .

kirk is a good qb not an elite and he's a hot and cold qb . 

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

WAS can tag Cousins.   Cousins would still have to sign the tag in order for WAS to be able to trade him.  If he does not sign it, WAS then would likely rescind the tag and Cousins becomes a UFA and free to negotiate with any team he chooses.  He can go to a team that does not have to give up assets (players or picks) to WAS, thus making his new team arguably stronger for it.  ALL while likely not losing any $$ on a long term deal and being able to choose where he plays.  

Redskins have by match 14th I believe to take the tag off if he hasn't signed . If he signs than we are stuck with him all year if he sits . I doubt he sits ... kirks a professional dude that will gladly take millions of dollars from another franchise. 

I wouldn't sit a year lol if I love football why sit !.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

There's several holes in this. 1st being Washington doesn't have money to pay him. You say they only have 31mill now and that's without resigning a single player (when they have several guys I'm sure they want to keep around) as well as no money aside for the draft. So realistically they'd have to shed close to 20+mill to even make it feasible. That's for starters. Now onto to other teams. Other teams know what I just wrote above, thereof they will not give up draft assets for a impending UFA. Also remember if lets say the Broncos trade for him... that does not guarantee him signing a deal there (I think he would sign but there's no guarantee). Bc of this risk, no team will give up any picks worth anything. If he were to get traded if tagged (which I clearly think is far fetched)... I don't see it being for more than a mid round pick like a 4th Rounder. He's an impending UFA... it's hard to hold any cards when you're the Redskins when you have no money. He will become an UFA hit the market. Probably go and visit around 5 teams or so and then choose. My guess is he chooses the Broncos or the Jets. Time will tell.

The question is why wouldn't Kirk sign and trade . He's been developing this moment since 2015.  If jets offer him a contract he will accept and leave , if broncos offer him a contract he will accept and leave . 

If redskins are stuck with him they will likely release McClain and McGee to open cap space . This is of course if he sits . Redskins haven't been big spenders for a long while except for the Norman and Jackson moves .

I hate Bruce Allen but he does an amazing job managing with the cap room. We signed Jackson with little cap space and signed Norman with little cap space .

if a team wants Kirk cousins for 2018 opening season. THEY WILL HAVE TO TRADE .

Unless of course they feel okay signing Keenum and trading for  Foles . Than go into the draft taking a risk . But owners and front offices loves big name marketable players . Cousins with NY would not only profit well but give the fans a lot of excitement .

a team will offer atleast a second .. they aren't losing a lot espically if they where planning to draft in the first .

5 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

If redskins are stuck with him they will likely release McClain and McGee to open cap space . This is of course if he sits . Redskins haven't been big spenders for a long while except for the Norman and Jackson moves .

I hate Bruce Allen but he does an amazing job managing with the cap room. We signed Jackson with little cap space and signed Norman with little cap space .

Unless of course they feel okay signing Keenum and trading for  Foles . Than go into the draft taking a risk . But owners and front offices loves big name marketable players . Cousins with NY would not only profit well but give the fans a lot of excitement .

a team will offer atleast a second .. they aren't losing a lot espically if they where planning to draft in the first .

Can you imagine the 24 hr Coverage,  Smitt Storm and Locker Room if Cousins AND Smith are Redskins in 2018? Seriously? 

This assumption you keep making that Cousins will automatically sign any extension with whatever Team Washington decides to deal with is a Joke. 

Washington clearly didn't want him. Decided to make a public hoopla over trading for Smith 6 weeks before FA dumping said FQB on the roster. There is no relationship between the two. No reason for Cousins to accommodate any of the FO wishes.

So if / when He makes it clear through his Agent that No Extension with be signed Unless he's a FA able to pick and Choose his destination, Washington has no leverage. No leverage in negotiations, no leverage in talks, nothing. They will be playing Russian Roulette praying Cousins changes his mind, rather then holding his ground out of Principle. A game of Chicken they will lose and I hope to God Stupid enough to try!!!

10 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

The question is why wouldn't Kirk sign and trade . He's been developing this moment since 2015.  If jets offer him a contract he will accept and leave , if broncos offer him a contract he will accept and leave . 

For the bolded, because if WAS uses the tag on him, he can opt to not sign it and WAS then likely rescinds the tag and Cousins becomes a UFA.  FREE to negotiate with any team he desires.  Cousins gets the freedom to negotiate with any team he chooses and does not require the new team to give up any assets to acquire him via FA. 

Cousins gains more by not signing the franchise tag than by signing it.  

Teams badly wanting Cousins will not want him to have free reign to go wherever he wants. They want him w/o a bidding war. 

So can't Washington tag him? then work out a contract with an interested team that Cousins wants to play for.. hammer out a long term deal agreed to be signed.. then make the trade as soon as the trading window opens.

That way, all are happy. Cousins gets his long term contract with a happy team, and a happy former team. Said team avoided a bidding war and the eventuality of not getting their guy. 

... and if they tag him, and a deal can't be hammered out? then rescind the tag before he can reach for his pen. 

Is all of this plausible? 

2 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Teams badly wanting Cousins will not want him to have free reign to go wherever he wants. They want him w/o a bidding war. 

So can't Washington tag him? then work out a contract with an interested team that Cousins wants to play for.. hammer out a long term deal agreed to be signed.. then make the trade as soon as the trading window opens.

That way, all are happy. Cousins gets his long term contract with a happy team, and a happy former team. Said team avoided a bidding war and the eventuality of not getting their guy. 

... and if they tag him, and a deal can't be hammered out? then rescind the tag before he can reach for his pen. 

Is all of this plausible? 

Yes it is plausible.   If Cousins has a select few teams that he is willing to play for.  Lets say playoff contenders, why would he want to have that team trade away assets to acquire him, thus weakening the team he is going to?

14 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yes it is plausible.   If Cousins has a select few teams that he is willing to play for.  Lets say playoff contenders, why would he want to have that team trade away assets to acquire him, thus weakening the team he is going to?

I doubt a team will crumble and fall just because they no longer have a 3rd rd selection. Plus, the compensation could always be a player.. or a combo of a day 3 pick + lesser player. 

The whole idea is.. the receiving team ensures they get their QB. KIrk can be a difficult jerk about it, I suppose.. but the bottom line is, Washington has been good to him. They selected him in the 4th, handed him bloated millions on prior tags, and has given him the starting opportunities to now be a hot NFL commodity. 

If he's bitter at the Redskins, yes, he's just a jerk at this point. 

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I doubt a team will crumble and fall just because they no longer have a 3rd rd selection. Plus, the compensation could always be a player.. or a combo of a day 3 pick + lesser player. 

The whole idea is.. the receiving team ensures they get their QB. KIrk can be a difficult jerk about it, I suppose.. but the bottom line is, Washington has been good to him. They selected him in the 4th, handed him bloated millions on prior tags, and has given him the starting opportunities to now be a hot NFL commodity. 

If he's bitter at the Redskins, yes, he's just a jerk at this point. 

If Cousins felt that WAS had treated him fairly in contract negotiations, he would have signed a deal with them already.  From what I have read, Cousins feels WAS has not offered him a contract in line with what he feels he has earned.  

A pick and/or a player are still assets.   If Cousins knows who he wants to play for, that is likely going to be known by that team through any number of sources.  

Apparently, we may have 48M according to the site overthecap.

instead of just 31. I have no idea.

If true, than the Skins can easily fit the 34.5M on a tag & trade.

so basically, after tagging & trading Cousins (which will happen) and Smith officially being the QB for Skins.

The Skins will have 31M to use in FA.

wow! I see us being very active in FA this year. (as we should)

get Alex some weapons.

I can see it now....lol

Redskins sign RB L. Bell

Redskins sign WR Jarvis Landry

Redskins sign this guy...that guy...

boom!

all of a sudden, Alex got weapons everywhere.

now Kirk....

THAT, I do like! Lol

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

For the bolded, because if WAS uses the tag on him, he can opt to not sign it and WAS then likely rescinds the tag and Cousins becomes a UFA.  FREE to negotiate with any team he desires.  Cousins gets the freedom to negotiate with any team he chooses and does not require the new team to give up any assets to acquire him via FA. 

Cousins gains more by not signing the franchise tag than by signing it.  

He's getting 34 mil if he signs it .

and I doubt any of the teams prior to being interested wouldn't call the redskins . Regardless Kirk at worst does a one year deal with a team.

If that's the case redskins will gladly take a third for him.

Archived