Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

42 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I think that MLB is going to struggle to get a season completed.  Even though it is less than 40% of a regular seasson, the fact that games are played on back to back days for weeks at a time, they might find themselves having some serious issues, like the Marlins are having right now.  Sure, they have the extra 30 players to use, but unless they're sequestered away somewhere, you may very well see the illness pop up in locations unanticipated.

I do think that there is a better shot that the NFL could happen, but I think they're going to need to go into hubs.  There is a significant reality that teams may not be playing in their home stadiums this year.  I think that just from a logistics standpoint, college football may very well not happen this year, as there are so many more variable to be considered that schools can't, or perhaps shouldn't deal with.  I posted this a couple of weeks ago in the NFL General forum, where they were talking about the impact of Covid 19 on the season.  It is something that might allow the NFL to have a season this year.  It may not be the best answer, but it is working in another situation.  

I don’t see how you can play if people have to sit out if you test positive.  Teams are likely to have multiple positives at once, like the Marlins now.  

If a team’s entire QB room is positive and can’t play, what are we doing here?  The season just becomes a game of luck regarding who gets sick and when.

Either you test and care about the results, or you don’t play.  I’m not sure how you straddle that fence.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t see how you can play if people have to sit out if you test positive.  Teams are likely to have multiple positives at once, like the Marlins now.  

If a team’s entire QB room is positive and can’t play, what are we doing here?  The season just becomes a game of luck regarding who gets sick and when.

Either you test and care about the results, or you don’t play.  I’m not sure how you straddle that fence.

That's why I put together the "hub" proposal that I did.  The AFL has basically "locked away" entire clubs in resorts, and being tested every day.  I don't think this is going to work with MLB, but I think that if the NFL can get their clubs into hubs, like I proposed, I think the NFL could happen.  

1 minute ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

That's why I put together the "hub" proposal that I did.  The AFL has basically "locked away" entire clubs in resorts, and being tested every day.  I don't think this is going to work with MLB, but I think that if the NFL can get their clubs into hubs, like I proposed, I think the NFL could happen.  

For 5 months?

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For 5 months?

Did you take a look at the doc I shared?  The 10 Victoria based AFL clubs have all "evacuated" the state about 4 weeks ago, and won't return until the end of the season.  At this point, almost 4 months.  I don't know if the NFLPA would go for it, but it is happening somewhere else.  

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think the NBA has a shot as they’re in the “bubble” and just trying to finish a season.  I’m not sure how you start a 5 month season right now.

yeah NBA has the chance because of the bubble concept

22 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Did you take a look at the doc I shared?  The 10 Victoria based AFL clubs have all "evacuated" the state about 4 weeks ago, and won't return until the end of the season.  At this point, almost 4 months.  I don't know if the NFLPA would go for it, but it is happening somewhere else.  

Yeah I saw that I’m just now sure how viable that is, especially for the big named players who don’t “need” the money, guys with kids, etc.

Im sure some would, but how watered down does it become?

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I saw that I’m just now sure how viable that is, especially for the big named players who don’t “need” the money, guys with kids, etc.

Im sure some would, but how watered down does it become?

AFL brought all of the families into the hubs that wanted to come along. Now, their families tend to skew a bit younger, because the AFL brings players into the highest level of the competition at age 18 sometimes, and if you are in your early 30's, you are on the downward slope of your career.  

You're right about the "don't 'need' the money" people.  It may be difficult.  You may find some players besides the Chief's guard that opt out of playing.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Bucketheadsdad, what kind of money do AFL players make?

The top players are making a shade over a million a year.  The younger players around $200k.  Each club does have a salary cap that they have to conform to, and the players signed off on playing for (if I'm not mistaken) a prorated share of their salary this year of around 75-80%.  The players aren't so wealthy that they are constantly sequestered away from their communities.  I see (not so much THIS year) photos of fans and players at the pub or grocery posted on social media all the time.  AFL players IMHO are much more closely connected to their fans than NFL players ever will be.  Part of it is because all 18 teams are owned by their clubs supporters, or members.  

• Like 1